Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London named as 2017 World Athletics Championships Host

That is all

Comments

• Options
    It'll be as crap as the Olympics.
  • Options
    And you base this on what?

Great for London and the London economy as well as athletics fans like me.

Also means stadium will have to retain the track for at least 5 years as it should
  • Options

great. athlete's. dont you think they've had enough.

billions that olympics bloody billions. lucky the economy is alright though.

and its not as if we are at all bothered with all the congestion and inconvenience the olympics will provide the whole of london. That and the build up to it which will be more excruciating than 50 christmas build ups rolled into one... 259 days to go!

• Options
    Moan moan moan, better east London was undeveloped part of the city.

London 2012 will make money, people said no one would buy tickets, yet the games (plus Paralympics are sold out), it would be late and the stadiums wouldn't be ready, but there all ready and under budget. 

It'll be a success and so will 2017
  • Options
    Olympics - £9 billion - budget already closed off.
    Less than the past three (Beijing cost up to $40 billion), and a fantastic legacy, one part of which is the ability to hold this new event and ship the people in and out of it. Utterly superb for London.

Now's the time to buy building plots over at the boleyn ground, then!
  • Options
    London 2012 may well make money - but it won't be going to the people who live or work in London.
  • Options
    London 2012 may well make money - but it won't be going to the people who live or work in London.
    If you had talked to the night manager at one of the three new hotels built next to Excel as I did last weekend and you might change your opinion Leroy!
    Just in one hotel you have the building contractors, cleaners caterers suppliers and the LOC have fully booked it for three months. Surely some money must be going to Londoners?
  • Options

Moan moan moan, better east London was undeveloped part of the city.

London 2012 will make money, people said no one would buy tickets, yet the games (plus Paralympics are sold out), it would be late and the stadiums wouldn't be ready, but there all ready and under budget. 

It'll be a success and so will 2017

Well said Rothko, I have always thought it would be a succes. Those that were whinging then about the stadia being late and the tickets not selling were wrong, so now they have had to find something else to have a moan about. Hands up time guys, you were wrong, have the decency to admit it,and embrace the biggest thing to happen in England since 1966. The legacy is already reaping benefits with events like the world athetics in 2017 and the canoe slalom world championships in 2015, no more expenditure, just income. Where's the problem? 

• Options
    The Olympics is making shit loads of cash for Londoners I am going to be having shit loads of contractors working for me from April till October and thevdeal figures involved are huge
  • Options

Wonder how tickets will be marketed for this ?

Went to the '87 World Champs in Rome but they probably won't let me take my zimmer frame into the stadium in 6 years' time.....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad we won this - thought Doha would buy its way through the bidding process.

As for the Olympics. I hope it is a success but I haven't got tickets, I do not live in London and I am not financially benefiting from it. I'll watch it on tv the same as any other sporting event but I do not feel connected to it in any way, shape or form. That's sad but that is the way it is.
  • Options
    Doha must be running short of cash
  • Options
    Or the IAAF are less corrupt than another sporting organization?
  • Options
    Or we offered the same cash but had far superior facilities and transport/accommodation infrastrucutre already in place?
  • Options
    True.
  • Options
    I have to admit I was one of those a bit dubious about the Olympics but recently I have changed my tune and am actually looking forward to it. I'm not an athletics fan in any sense but having recently moved quite close to the Olympic park I can see for myself that it isn't just about the games, the regeneration of the area has been impressive and it has spread to neighbouring boroughs, everyone wants in on it and given the current climate I think it can only be a good thing. 

Yes it is costing a lot of money but for those only interested in what it costs look at it as an investment, you have the initial outlay and I think over time this ill prove to be worthwhile for the majority of London.
  • Options
    Nail -> head

• Options
    Toy manufacturer Hornby posted an 80% jump in 1st-half profits yesterday. Partly due to its contract to make London 2012 toys. Good on 'em.
  • Options
    This will throw another spanner in the works for the West Ham move to the new ground. They will have to wait till 2017 now to get rid of the running track.
  • Options
    It will be another opportunity for Londoners to show the world that it's full of greedy b@stards and rip-off merchants. £500 a night anyone? Or £30 for a 5 minute cab ride? I reckon the elite athletes would have preferred an expenses paid foreign trip. Am I too cynical?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    It will be another opportunity for Londoners to show the world that it's full of greedy b@stards and rip-off merchants. £500 a night anyone? Or £30 for a 5 minute cab ride? I reckon the elite athletes would have preferred an expenses paid foreign trip. Am I too cynical?
    Interesting world view you have.
    Aloft next to the Excel stadium is charging the same rate as its current peak rate for rooms during the Olympics. As I heard were Premier Inn next door.
    Pretty sure cabbies wont be able to change the rates on their meters.
    So, yes, perhaps you are a tad too cynical - though no doubt human (as opposed to London) nature will lead to many examples of rip offs.

Lawrie - I thought Wet Spam were happy enough to keep the track and saw it as a revenue earner in the future rather than something to be eradicated. The great thing is that it should put paid to those Spurs plans
  • Options
    Cabbies are already demanding a sizeable hike in their metered fares.  So maybe he's not so over cynical.
  • Options
    Great news, I'll be going to a few events.
  • Options

So, something to look forward to now!

• Options

Yeah crap wasn't it....

• Options
    These told ya so posts are proper 'muggy'
  • Options
    humble pie time!
  • Options
    But not as muggy as the Olympics will be crap posts ; - )
  • Options
    What's not to like ?
  • Options
    When do the tickets go on sale ?
    :-)