Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of 1980

Since the 1st round draw - and the scheduling for TV - I have been thiinking about the similarities with - and the differences from - the 1st round in 1980.

Back then we were also top of the old 3rd div and therefore theoretically the toughest draw and were drawn away against non-league opposition in the shape of Harlow Town. Although Halifax clearly is much further there was no M25 in those days and Harlow was a treck in itself.

There were no live games in those days but we did feature on MoTD as one of the main games.

I suspect the biggest differece may be in the surroundings and that the stageing of the match might be a little more professional this time around. I seem to recall that no-one could find the keys to the ground and that it was left to some obliging away fans to lift the main gate off it's hinges so that we could actually get in.

I also seem to remember that the "away end" consisted of a grass bank and that there was a constant flow as people slowly slipped down from the top to the bottom before turning around to climb back up to the top.

The result was a rather uninteresting 2-0 win. Didn't Derek Hales score with a cross from way out on the left wing and then not even bother to claim it was intentional when interviewed by the MoTD cameras afterwards?

I also seem to recall a rare appearance for Johnny Østergaard -  surely the only ice-hokey international ever to play for Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    I remember a police dog biting my leg on the said grassy bank. I was of course innocent !
  • Options
    I'd had a few beers and I literally couldn't stand up because it was so muddy. I was covered...oh, the memories
  • Options

The only reason you remember that one specifically Hugo was that Harlow's ground was Hammarskjold Road.

I did have trouble standing uprighton that bank though.

Glad you haven't mentioned the 3rd round game in 1980 though :-(

• Options

The only reason you remember that one specifically Hugo was that Harlow's ground was Hammarskjold Road.

I did have trouble standing uprighton that bank though.

Funnily enough I'd just been looking at all the empty seats in the away end in PAaken and thinking "lazy bloody Swedes"....40 minutes on the train from Malmö then a quick jog down Dag Hammarskölds Alle and they can't be bothered.

Since that first visit in 1980 I've had the misortune to visit Harlow on many occasions and in my experience all the roads are called 5th Avenue

Had to look that one up but I'm pleased to say that was onne of my better misses :-)
  • Options
    I remember it kicking off with Wet Spam and Spuds supporters around the town.
  • Options
    I remember the Harlow game well - I went with my Dad and had a great time over there with a pint or two on the way back. Sadly, he died a couple of weeks later.
  • Options
    I remember the mud, the grass, the 'boys' chasing round the town and Killer's cross floating in but I'm bu**ered if I can remember Martin Robinson's goal. What happened?
  • Options

wasn't that Plymouth away in a gale? Great day out, Paddy scored direct from a corner and Killer chipped the keeper with a header.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

That was January 1981. Plymouth played with the gale in the 1st half and it propmtly died about 5 minutes into the 2nd half - but it lasted just long enough for Paddy to float that corner in.

• Options
    Ah that's right, 1981.

It's about this time in 1980 that we went on a long unbeaten run...13 games I think, only one of which was a draw (Fellows Park)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011

Didn't it all start with a Killer clinching a 1-1 draw against Huddersfield at Leeds Road?

They say history has a habit of repeating itself......

• Options
    No we won 1-0 at Leeds Road Phil Walker
  • Options
    I think the 1980 FA Cup was notable for a cock-up by the FA, they got the numbers on the balls wrong and instead of Wolves away (first division, big day out etc) we got Wrexham....and lost 6-0. To add insult to injury, Mike Bailey got reduced to the ranks as a result and Andy Nelson resumed command,with calamitous consequences.

We played Wrexham again a couple of weeks later and lost again, Johnny Ostergaard scored a screamer that Addickted (one of the few Addicks insane enough to go there twice in a month) used to rave about.
  • Options
    I think the 1980 FA Cup was notable for a cock-up by the FA, they got the numbers on the balls wrong and instead of Wolves away (first division, big day out etc) we got Wrexham....and lost 6-0. To add insult to injury, Mike Bailey got reduced to the ranks as a result and Andy Nelson resumed command,with calamitous consequences. We played Wrexham again a couple of weeks later and lost again, Johnny Ostergaard scored a screamer that Addickted (one of the few Addicks insane enough to go there twice in a month) used to rave about.

Just to show what an idiot I was then I went to both games. You'd have thought after losing 6-0 I would've known better.

Sad but true.

• Options
    The only time I went to Wrexham was a couple of years later when we lost to a last minute penalty. It didn't stop raining and just to top things off, I got poisoned by a burger. A distinctly un-quality day out.
  • Options
    I think that unbeaten run started with a 0.0 draw at Barnsley and went right up to a Boxing Day defeat 0.1 at Oxford United. The Huddersfield away game where Walker headed the winner was when we went top of the league for the first time that season.
  • Options
    I remember listening to the LBC reports of the Harlow game as a young 10year old , thought Harlow was miles away !
    What kit did we wear for that fixture, was it a yellow and blue adidas kit ???
  • Options
    I remember it kicking off with Wet Spam and Spuds supporters around the town.

mmm got a bit lively
  • Options
    Re beating Huddersfield 1-0 away, I thought Paul Lazarus got that goal?
  • Options
    No, Phil Walker back header. Lazarus scored at Walsall in the next gane which ended 2-2 thanks to a last minute Dick Tydeman back pass which went horribly wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember listening to the LBC reports of the Harlow game as a young 10year old , thought Harlow was miles away !
    What kit did we wear for that fixture, was it a yellow and blue adidas kit ???

That was the kit