Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Estonia or Republic of Ireland ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    What a stroll in the park, 2 sendings off were spot on, penalty was fairly dodgy but was pertty irelevenat really in the grand scheme of things. Whole thing seems slightly anti-climatic considering how easy it was.
  • Options
    Was really easy for them, glad they qualified (almost a certainty)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    estonia, hate the irish
    they hate you aswell!!!/blockquote>

entitled to my opinion
  • Options

Great night in the adam o'addick house hold last night, havnt seen us play like that since big jacks days, cant wait for the second leg dublin will be rocking

• Options
    Estonia was the dream pick,but after France was well deserved
  • Options
    Dream result...looking forward to a great night in The Aviva on Tuesday and maybe the odd pint of Smithwicks!! :)
  • Options
    Ireland always want the other teams from our series of islands to win
    God I hope thats sarcasm?
  • Options
    Who knew we had so many Irish on here.

Love it. Not qualified yet tho so not taking anything for granted.

• Options
    Adam, Big Jack's side played the worst football I've seen any country play!! Despite having a decent squad who could've played football.

It would be great to face Ireland in the group stages and it would be great if they got knocked out as there are a load of Irish people at work.
  • Options
    Good result last night but i reckon a Charlton 1st 11 would have creamed either of those teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably lean towards the Irish cos me mums irish but not too fussed cos I consider myself English
    Never found the irish to be as bitter towards england as the welsh or the scots but then we're a bitter lot (read above) as am I !
    Went to the Japan World Cup and the paddys were a good laugh no animosity or bad vibe at all , found there were more dick heads following england but that's northerners for you
    If estonia had a charlton player and ireland didn't I'd want estonia , I would have accepted 4 goals from class jensen when he came on for Denmark in 2002 against us when we were 3-0 up
    I've backed england to win the Euros (madness) and Charlton to win the League and get promoted but there's only ONE AIM that really matters for me!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I supppose if you've had a bad experience with one set of fans you'd lean more towards a dislike of them , I remember seeing jocks in kilts in swedish and brazilian shirts at the WC and then when we went out to the argies in France 98 all the bitter jocks jumping around joyous in the face of our gutted fans , so that's where my bitterness is aimed at
  • Options

What I really don't get is that people feel the need to point out their allegiances to Ireland as if it's much better being Irish or even half Irish than English! The Irish, Scots and Welsh genuinely like to see Us (I consider myself English) fall flat on Our faces at every opportunity and in anything we do!

I'm only interested in how England are doing on an international level, I looked out for the other Home Nations (inc Ireland) at one point in time, but not now, it's England or bust for me!

• Options

Simply because the Irish always want England to lose I'll go for Estonia.

Having lived in Eire for 5 years I know how bitter they all are about England so COME ON ESTONIA!

• Options
    The thing that always amazed me is that they all hate England but mainly support English club sides!
  • Options
    Hating the English, the only acceptable form of racism!
  • Options
    Your'e right BIG ROB. Things have changed in the last 20 odd years but it's still acceptable when it comes to football. Usually eejits that have never been to an international, wear Top Man suits while thinking they are merchant bankers.
    I was in my spit and sawdust a couple of years ago and at one end of the bar were 20 odd Man U fans (Irish) and at the other 20 odd Chelsea fans (also Irish) watching a match. Every now and the one end would all shout out "Come on UTD" then the other end would reply "Come on Chelsea" then me in the middle would shout "Come on England". They only did it a few times, but everyone saw the funny side and got the irony.
    Another time in a packed pub watching England get knocked out against Portugal (the time Ronaldo did the wink when Rooney got sent off) At the end of the match the whole bleedin pub started singing "Englands going home" (tune of footballs going home) so i walked up to beneath the biggest tv screen near the front and sang at the top of my voice "Ireland stayed at home" The whole pub shut up, but nat a bad word said against me and a few pats on the back.
    Irish don't hate the English, they just love taking the piss.
  • Options
    The thing that always amazed me is that they all hate England but mainly support English club sides!

Me too. Except lets be honest, they almost exclisively support Man Utd or Liverpool... 
  • Options
    I support all the home nation sides in qualifying, except when up against England, but I dont lose any sleep if they lose,  the rest (including ROI) I care not a jot.
  • Options
    I thought the Irish hated the English (which made me a bit anti TBH) until the first time I went to Ireland and I was pleased to learn that the vast majority have had enough of all that kind of thing and would treat you no differently as an Englishman to anyone else.  As Scidbox says, they just like taking the piss and don't mind you giving it back; a bit like Aussies in that respect....I have a lot of affection and admiration for both!

Compared to the Welsh and Scots, there doesn't seem to be that insecure bitterness about England - the Irish seem to have moved on more from that and are more stoic and good humoured about it all.  As such, the Irish are the only other team from the British Isles (apart from England) that I want to see do well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    very happy to see ireland and england win this weekend and I'm sure there's thousands more of similar family background to me who feel the same. no bitterness here, bruv.