Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do We Need This?

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11684/7303942/

Don't know if anyone has heard of this but from what I've heard it seems like a done deal.
My concern is that do we rally need to change the dynamic of the squad with loan players that aren't as passionate and the rest of the squad?
In my opinion it was the shere amount of loan players that were the main stumbling blocks of the pardew and parkinson eras....

Comments

• Options

I am totally against loaning players and have stated my reasons ad nauseum elsewhere on here. BUT,  the rules are there and they should be exploited to the full.  However, if I were a player on a full contract I would be very upset if a loanee was brought in right over my head and I would not be shy about expressing my discontent. I fully apprecialte your feelings re team dynamics and morale. It takes a good manager to handle tricky personnel problems and despite my early reservations about the Powell regime, I am getting more and more confident in his ability to handle most situations

• Options
    If Chrissy thinks it's the right thing to do, then I trust him it's the right one. He's made practically every transfer decision right so far. Have faith in him
  • Options
    Not every loan has been a disaster, Jackson came on loan and it gives CP a chance to have an extended look at new recruits before making a decision. Ephraim seems to have a bit of talent and needs a club, so he has an incentive himself. Plus we've got several players out injured - and another injury/suspension and we could be in trouble. The sort of loanees I'm not keen on are those who are getting back to fitness and will be off once they have a couple of games under their belt.
  • Options

In SCP we trust .

End of.

• Options
    Jackson was a loanee as was Costa. 

We already have a loan player in the squad and it doesn't seem to have upset the team spirit having him around.

• Options
    Why not? If he strengthens the squad it has to be good.
  • Options
    That "report" is a rehashed version of reports from the middle of last week.

Nothing new to see here, move on.
  • Options
    Hogan can play on the left and right wing and in midfield, so a good option on the bench. It is good cover for the left wing position, as Jackson can move inside and Hogan can play out on the left. It is a sensible move with Dale Stephens operation and Pritchard just coming back to training.

It is good management.
  • Options
    I'd be worried if we were going back to what it was like a year or so ago when it seemed like we only had loanees, but that's not the case now.  Anyway, who's to say that it's not a loan with a view to buy when the window is open?
  • Options
    Fair enough I accept we need cover for players and loanees can be a solution to that, but Id be much more inclined to let our youngsters provide the cover than loanees. For example "vff" you mentioned Hogan can play on the left, but why not let Callum Harriott provide the cover for the left side? And as for upfront, why not let Adebayo Azeez provide the cover? I know these players aren't good enough for a starting role but they certainly are good enough to provide the cover needed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2011
    Fair enough I accept we need cover for players and loanees can be a solution to that, but Id be much more inclined to let our youngsters provide the cover than loanees. For example "vff" you mentioned Hogan can play on the left, but why not let Callum Harriott provide the cover for the left side? And as for upfront, why not let Adebayo Azeez provide the cover? I know these players aren't good enough for a starting role but they certainly are good enough to provide the cover needed
    Its a fair point, not seem Azeez or Callum Harriot play, so don't know if they are ready.

(A non television fixture may be a better occasion, may be less pressure for their first start).
  • Options
    Perhaps cp thinks they aren't good enough?
  • Options
    While we are still challenging for promotion, we need the very best of players playing IMO, if we suffer injuries or suspensions then I'd happily see a well-researched loanee come in. Our youth players are all a long way off first team contention, we need proven quality. A promotion push is no time to be blooding in could-bes and maybes, we need people we know have the quality, even at the expense of a few players we don't even know will make it. All in my opinion of course.
  • Options
    I still don't understand why people think this won't be a good move. I get that loans haven't done much for us in the past but those were evidently very bad loans from the start. Players just back from injury and worn-out journeymen. There's no way bringing in a new player to challenge the current crop is going to cause some kind of apocalyptic meltdown in the dynamic of the squad. We brought in 20 players over summer and yet we're worried that a month's loan will gut the spirit of the team? It's madness. And of course, who can forget the time Leon Cort came in on loan and we went on not to win another match. Oh, wait..

Ephraim is a quality player who competed at the top of the Championship all season last year and only lost his place because QPR can afford to bring in the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips, a sometimes England international, to unseat him. Now he looks like he's willing to join us to get some football under his belt. And maybe with him being out of contract in the summer he's looking to impress enough to play for us in the Championship next year. I'd quite like Charlton to win this league, so if Jackson gets injured I think I'd rather be able to bring in proven Championship winger Hogan Ephraim rather than 17/18 year old Ade Azeez, with his 1.5 years of academy experience. Let's get some perspective lads, Powell knows what he's doing.

• Options
    A loan player poss becoming permanent- is the same as a permanent transfer, in the long term- what's the problem?
  • Options
    Any news on this or Parrett?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Writing without reading: Think we could need some promising/experienced cover for left wing, we have Evina but he's hardly tried or tested and its not impossible for Jackson to get injured is it? Parrett is questionable as to whether we need him, but if SCP believes it to be a good idea then I trust his view.
  • Options
    Not saying it's a bad idea at all but this blind trust in CP, can I just ask what was the point of signing JEuell when it's obvious to Stevie Wonder that he has nothing to offer anymore?
  • Options
    For a start those two players would, funnily enough, take up two of the 5 spots on the bench.

Ephraim also played a big part in getting promoted from the league ABOVE us last season, so has much more exprience than our two youngsters.

Maybe CP's plan is to show this lad that CAFC is a club going places and with any luck we'll be able to make the move a permanent one.
  • Options
    Why not Harriot or Azeez? Because who's to say they won't end up spending their career in non-league football like so many of our academy do. Maybe they're just not good enough. In fact, if they -were- good enough, I doubt we'd be loaning in Ephraim. 

Personally happy with the loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I think there are different types of loan player. The ones that will soon be out of contract at their current clubs are fine becasue they are potential signings and will be out to impress. Chrissy is not a fan of loan players either- he has said as much in interviews- but you can't lump everybody into one category. The way he probably sees it is here is a player who played most of the games in a Championship title side last season - despite the current team doing so well, when a quality player becomes potentially available, you have to be open to the opportuity. Whilst everybody is rightly focussng on winning this league, there are goals beyond this season.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    @charltonbob re Euell

I think that he has more than a playing role because before games, and during them, when he is playing he is constantly talking to and geeing up the players. 

For this I  think his experience in the game and the way he passes it onto the other players is more important than what he does on the playing side...
  • Options
    Not saying it's a bad idea at all but this blind trust in CP, can I just ask what was the point of signing JEuell when it's obvious to Stevie Wonder that he has nothing to offer anymore?

I think that he has more than a playing role because before games, and during them, when he is playing he is constantly talking to and geeing up the players. 

For this I  think his experience in the game and the way he passes it onto the other players is more important than what he does on the playing side...
    So first you say he has nothing to offer, then go onto say he has experience to offer on and off the field, odd.
  • Options
    Sorry,the first para is a previous quote.

Not really odd, its just the first time I have tried to add a previous quote.

• Options
    Blind trust because so far we have no reason not to,

If he wants them give him them

Have we actually signed any of them
  • Options
    Jason Euell is in transition from playing to coaching. A good character to have round the club and something to offer in a steadying capacity in the centre of the park, if not the impact sub, you need if chasing the game.

With a loan that there is a view to sign, then its a good loan with Hogan Ephraim and definitely a player who has proved he can play in the championship. In the right games, I would like Azeez and Harriot to be given a chance. Maybe they will have a chance in the second part of the season if Hogan Ephraim returns to QPR.