Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Peter Roebuck

13»

Comments

• Options
    Just off to Joburg for the second test, so it will be interesting to see the reaction to the Roebuck story there.

Missing the next three CAFC games and I'm expecting six points and  a place in the thrid round of the FA Cup by the time I return!
  • Options
    Just off to Joburg for the second test, so it will be interesting to see the reaction to the Roebuck story there.

Missing the next three CAFC games and I'm expecting six points and  a place in the thrid round of the FA Cup by the time I return!
    ok we ll arrange the 3 wins if SA beat the aussies by an innings and 300 preferably by more
  • Options

Not my favourite paper but this was in today's Sun.

A STUDENT whose sex complaint sparked the suicide of ex-England cricketer Peter Roebuck told yesterday how he was "groomed" online.

Itai Gondo, 26, claimed TV pundit Roebuck spent days on Facebook luring him into a meeting, signing himself "dad" and offering to help with college fees.

But Gondo told police he was subjected to a sex attack after meeting at a hotel in Cape Town, South Africa. And Roebuck, 55, leapt 70ft to his death after officers arrived to arrest him. The alleged victim, a cash-strapped refugee from Zimbabwe, was left so traumatised he considered taking his OWN life.

He waived his right to anonymity to reveal the events — but preferred not to show his face to the camera.

IT student Gondo approached Roebuck through a uni pal who knew one of 17 "adopted sons" who live at the cricket expert's home in Pietermaritzburg.

He agreed to a meeting after a series of web chats, unaware Roebuck got a 2001 suspended sentence for beating three young men's buttocks with a cane.

During the exchanges, Roebuck — in Cape Town for a Test match — invited Gondo to call him "dad", spoke of his devotion to his "sons" and offered his help. But when Gondo agreed to meet, he signed off saying: "OK my boy, bring stick in case I need to beat you!"

Gondo claimed they chatted for two hours in a plush suite before Roebuck pinned him to the bed and launched a sickening sex assault. Gondo said: "I was in shock and told myself that it couldn't be happening."

The attack only stopped when Gondo's phone rang and bachelor Roebuck apologised.

The horrified student fled, but received a Facebook message from Roebuck next day saying: "Worried bout u, hope u ok."

Gondo replied days later, telling him: "One day the long arm of the law will catch up with your evil misdeeds."

• Options

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/541169.html

Another view from one of his former students.

• Options
    Thanks for bringing that article to My attention Len.
    Great Read.
  • Options

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/541169.html

Another view from one of his former students.

Thanks Len, I had not seen that.

What a brilliantly written article.