Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The FA Cup 'distraction'; On Course for 108 points; Statistics, statistics, statistics

WSSWSS
edited November 2011 in General Charlton
I think the answer is 81 but nevertheless, I enjoyed this article by a 'Udders fan.

Comments

• Options
    I would not like to see us go too far in the cup. I seem to remember Nilwall and others having great cup runs, but as a result missing out on promotion. lets not rock the boat too much.
  • Options
    Big game in the next round and out will do me
  • Options
    it'll never happen but 3 League points for an FA Cup win would be a great way of reviving interest in the greatest of Cup competitions......
  • Options
    it'll never happen but 3 League points for an FA Cup win would be a great way of reviving interest in the greatest of Cup competitions......
    That's what I call an innovative idea!  Could play havoc with the stats, though!!
  • Options
    with our cup record we would be doomed,truly shameful
  • Options
    edited November 2011

• Options
    Call me greedy but i'd like a good cup run. Some of our worst performances over the years have come when we've had a break whilst others fulfill cup fixtures. Within reason, playing matches keeps the momentum going and the silver lining if you go out is that you still have the league. I think it's more the mid table teams who take their eye off the ball who then slip into the relegation zone when they get dumped out of the cup as the season seems sort of over. (i.e, i want a cup run and that seems as good an argument as any) 
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Classic example of over-analysing data sets.

The confidence interval on each of the so-called 'trendlines' in the article by the Huddersfield fan swamps any apparent deviation from the horizontal.  And note that the entire data from each set sits nicely around zero, hence no significant difference in 'points per game' whether you have a good Cup run or not.

Stare at noisy data sets for long enough and you'll find whatever pattern you want to see.  Doesn't mean it's in there.

• Options
    I read until the graph that looks like a heart scan. There is no place for such graphs in football! (and for those with mathematical dyslexia).
  • Options
    OK.  I'll settle for 108 points, but ask me again at the end of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's be honest Charlton getting over a hundred points can't see it personally (finger crossed tho) so just be happy with the people's cup Under rated European Cup
  • Options
    Not a distraction if it's on a Saturday. Us charlton fans are very cautious and just desperatly want promotion. The FA cup is the only side order I appreciate and like. Bring it on!
  • Options
    The Kent cup could be a COLOSSAL distraction from promotion. ; )
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Let's be honest Charlton getting over a hundred points can't see it personally (finger crossed tho) so just be happy with the people's cup Under rated European Cup
    We'll have 99 points by Easter Monday ........ and after that, Charlton 'End of season Rules' apply.
  • Options
    It seems that most here are hoping for a top draw in the 3rd round but personally I'd like to see us up against a decent championship team just so we can guage how far (if any) we are away from that level, as that's where we're aiming to be next season. Premier club in the 5th round will do me nicely.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    (Hmm)...I like your thinking, but...Preston in the whatever it was cup tie (see how important these things are?) showed us how well we can gauge league performances against our peers or prospective peer teams based on performance in cup competitions.  Not sure if that wouldn't just dishearten us unless we play a tough first 11, in which case all the usual reservations about injuries, resting first team etc apply.  I'll settle for a big name draw and a chance for our best reserves to cover themselves in glory or otherwise and bag themselves a place in the first team.
  • Options
    I read until the graph that looks like a heart scan. There is no place for such graphs in football! (and for those with mathematical dyslexia).
    The answer's 41.

Wouldn't mind a little cup run just for a bit of revenue but I'm only concerned with one thing this season - promotion.