Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hedge Trimmer Advice please!

Having not earned money for a year now, I am looking at branching (geddit?) out into gardening.
Need some good kit, so I throw myself at CL mercy.
Hedge trimmers.
Petrol, Electric or battery?
Bosch Flymo or other?

Any ideas gratefully received folks!

Comments

• Always go for Stihl gear if you can afford it and especially if you looking to do it for a living. The other/cheaper stuff is a false economy if you're using it every day.

Also, to make sure you're legal check out here as a starting point.

• I was going to offer you advice and then realised that I had no real idea what I was talking about.  Why do we do that?

I do know this - I had a small petrol engine strimmer and spent more time trying to get the engine going again after flooding it than I ever did using it for what it was designed for.  Go for an easy-maintenance model or you'll waste your working day f***ing about with it.

Good for you though mate, I wish you well.

• edited November 2011
    they're heavy enough as it is so you won't be able to do that much if you also have to carry the weight of petrol or battery, so electric best if you're going to do a lot - just need to be careful with the lead - I cut through it on second use!
    I got a Bosch AHS 7000 about a year ago for £100 - would definitely recommend it, depends on what you have in mind of course, read the Amazon reviews for an idea.
    Gets good use but not as much as you'll be hoping for so check other brands!
  • Give me a shout when your ready, I've a sh*tpit
    garden that needs sorting.
  • I tend to use the Cleancut ES412 for my hedge.
  • if you're looking at using one for long periods of time or are gonna tackle large hedges then get a stihl petrol angled pole-arm. they take a little getting used to as but come with a harness hence all the weight goes through your shoulders and its just a case of balance.

only on c/life.

• Used to work as a gardener in Oz for a while.  If you're doing it professionally you've gotta go for petrol, much more adaptable to the location.  At home I have electric and yes whenever I attempt to get that last bit without thinking I always go through the lead.
  • I wouldn't go for any mains electric equipment if you are planning on gardening for money - your customers may not want you using their electricity and there may be other reasons why you can't plug in.
  • stihl
    Well I was going to pay for it.;-)

Saw them and wondered if they were worth the extra.
    Thanks for the rec.
  • Sponsored links:

• As it happens, Floyd, I'm about to try and flog my hedge trimmer on e-bay. We're downsizing and the new place doesn't have the extensive grounds of March Towers and I'll be able to manage with a pair of shears! The hedge trimmer is a low mileage two-stroke Ryobi with an extending reach and an interchangable grass trimmer head. I think you can also add on other stuff if you want to. Let me know if your interested (or not), though posting it to ciderland could be problematical. I've had a number of trimmers and cutters over the years (petrol and electic) and this one is probably the best I've used.
  • Wow - so much expertise1
    Thanks folks - genuinely helpful as my original plan was a £100 electric flymo to get myself started.

clearly you chaps recommend petrol - thanks for the ideas about cable severing and mains access.

Like the idea of an angled pole arm - lots of 10ft plus hedges in these parts.
    Stihl is the make.

ebayamazon here I come!

Thanks to you all - I feel energised!
  • Been hedge cutting all day, got another week of it and we've got 2 petrol Stihl trimmers on the go, power wise they're very good (used a different make the other day and it was rubbish).  A mate customised his and got the casing stripped down so it's very light and easy to use.  My old man has always had Stihl chainsaws too.
  • As it happens, Floyd, I'm about to try and flog my hedge trimmer on e-bay. We're downsizing and the new place doesn't have the extensive grounds of March Towers and I'll be able to manage with a pair of shears! The hedge trimmer is a low mileage two-stroke Ryobi with an extending reach and an interchangable grass trimmer head. I think you can also add on other stuff if you want to. Let me know if your interested (or not), though posting it to ciderland could be problematical. I've had a number of trimmers and cutters over the years (petrol and electic) and this one is probably the best I've used.
    Nice one March
    I'll have a search tomorrow - or we could arrange a Valley based cash for equipment exchange.

• Like the idea of an angled pole arm - lots of 10ft plus hedges in these parts.
    Stihl is the make.

The only thing I'll say about a pole is they are awkward because you haven't got the blade length you get with a normal trimmer.  I started to use one this morning but it did my head in as it's blade is only 40cm when the trimmers are 75cm.  Good luck though.

• Like the idea of an angled pole arm - lots of 10ft plus hedges in these parts.
    Stihl is the make.

The only thing I'll say about a pole is they are awkward because you haven't got the blade length you get with a normal trimmer.  I started to use one this morning but it did my head in as it's blade is only 40cm when the trimmers are 75cm.  Good luck though.
    So combination ladder and a normal blade then?
  • So combination ladder and a normal blade then?
    Yep, actually most of the blades on the poles are between 31-35cm.  I tried to find a really lightweight petrol hedge cutter last year but anything I found just didn't have the power of the Stihl.  There's loads of decent makes though, Husqvarna, Ryobi, Oleo Mac etc.
  • Floyd...........unfortunately I know sweet FA about hedge trimmers but I have to say you are obviously a fella who aint simply gonna just roll over and do nothing to earn a crust.

Good luck to you in your endeavours................every respect for you getting off your arse and at least trying to bring home the bacon. It sure aint easy out there at this moment in time, all you can do is give it your best shot.

Onwards and upwards fella.......... onwards and upwards. 

• Friend of mine is a professional gardener. She'd been working for someone else for ages on shit money but eventually went it alone and now, only a few months later, has work coming out of her ears to the extent that she is thinking of taking on staff and can afford to take the winter off!

Best of luck mate.
  • A recent experience for your amusement!

Went for a delivery driver for Sainsbury's last month.

Filled out the forms, did an 18 page questionnaire covering likely events in the day of a delivery driver - very interesting as they tailor it for each of their jobs - worth a look if you are an employer looking for staff, and rolled up for the final interview when they sat me down and said, oh, you live 21 miles from our distribution centre, we cant employ you! grr

Thanks for the encouragement chaps - Rizzo, great story, I feel the same is going to be possible here in ciderland!