Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watching old videos.

edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Have been recording old (20 years or so) videos to dvd over the last few days and instead of just letting the machine whirr away happily on its own whilst I went off to do useful things I've invariably ended up on the sofa with a cuppa, watching stuff from way back up to fairly recent times. Before we had Sky and all that, the boy and I used to record loads of football related stuff although, naturally, CAFC took priority. Here's a selection from what I've been watching (in no particular order - the videos were not absolutely in chronological order):

Terraces and crowd surges.

Fences.

SCP mis-timing a tackle (yes, really) and conceding a penalty as a Southend player.

SCP scoring for Southend.

Ray Wilkins with long hair, and making forward passes.

Gary Nelson getting red carded for the only time in his career at a waterlogged Hawthorns in the Cup (lost 1 - 0)

The old back pass rule.

Only one sub on the bench.

A  Man. City/United game being called a relegation battle with Ferguson being asked about his job prospects at Old Trafford.

Linvoy Primus being named man of the match on a televised CAFC game.

The Charlton team being booed after a 0 - 0 draw with Southampton at the Valley (7th. in thr Prem. at the time)

A Jeffers double and Luke Young's first Prem goal in a 3 - 1 win over Villa.

Liverpool seemingly never off the T.V with Rush scoring ten a week!

The Sellout Park mud heap.

Bob Bolder and Deano's heroics. Regularly each was Man of the Match.

Danny Baker's 'The Game', about Sunday morning pub/park teams. Great stuff.

Roger Alwyn unlocking the gates.

A random selection but one or two might spur some memories, stories or views.

Comments

• Options
    I used to watch 'The Game' every week. Quality viewing. Would love something like that to be done again.
  • Options
    Sounds like some quality telly.
  • Options
    The Danny Baker thing - I am so convinced there's something more in that. He did that so well, but I think there's more to be done. There are SO many people playing on a Sunday morning. Barney Ronay wrote a book about lads getting old and still trying to play. We've all been through it (or will). I'd love to make a doc on the subject.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Nice bit of nostalgia but you ruined it by claiming you a video of Butch Wilkins passing the ball forward. I think you'll find it was just a nicely executed back pass.

• Options

"Linvoy Primus being named man of the match on a televised CAFC game."

was this a 'home' game at upton park 0-0 with birmingham at a guess a real dull sunday match

i think mickey salmon was in goal and MCS's bro Si lobbed an inflatable fish at him before kick off

• Options
    Quite right oohaah. 1st. November '92, a Sunday 3.00pm kick off for LWT.
  • Options
    I seem to remember it was also Linvoy's debut.
  • Options
    Yes it was. He had been an unused sub. a few weeks earlier but this was his first appearance.