Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keeping Bee's....

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Does anyone do it?

Not brentford supporters but actual bee's....

Comments

• Options
    If anyone does, can I have a bee beard?  I've always wanted a bee beard.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I heard that Solly, Morrison, Taylor & Wiggins like to keep bees in their backpockets on Saturday afternoons.
  • Options
    Yes I've kept bees for many years, but no beard it's too itchy.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    No, but I do keep Brentford supporters.  I've had a couple of them in my cellar for a couple of years now, the cheeky little monkeys!  But I'm getting a bit bored with them now.  I haven't been down there for a week or so.
  • Options

I'm pest control so know a little bit about them....I also deal with asian hornets (vespa mandarinia), which are a threat to the honey bee and a reason why the bee has been under threat in throughout Europe for the last few years!

• Options
    your views on the African bees Rob?
  • Options
    Love the way it baton changes with the cape honey bee
  • Options
    African bees (killer bees), you wouldn't want to be about when they decide to swarm!
  • Options
    they could ruin the european ones within days just kill there queen bees and put there own there,all because of a scientist
  • Options
    My dad used to when we lived in Kidbrooke , i used to enjoy getting involved with the honey extraction and putting the stuff in jars(when i was a kid) also have memories of the buggers swarming and the neighbours knocking on the doors terrified    , im sure my elder brother still has the old hives stashed away somewhere ,   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't know much about them Nolly to bee honest mate. I think they are present in some parts of Europe though!

• Options
    I've got a feeling that Henry keeps bees...........or maybe has done in the past.
  • Options
    Friggin africans!!
  • Options
    lol They're everywhere...........thousands of 'em!
  • Options
    Rob tell em about the Coipus mate  we dont get many in Kidbrooke, i think that natives ate em.
  • Options

The Coypu (myocastor coypus), or Ragondin as they are known to the French. They are about the size of a large cat, and live in the banks of lakes or other still water ways. I hunt them over here for a few land-owners and apparently in Germany they are made into a pate and eaten. There're native to South America, but are now found all over due to being farmed for their coat (nutria) and released when the farms closed. Looked upon as a major aggricultural pest because they live on roots, wasting upto 95% of the plant/tree. Where I live is big apple growing country so they are eager to keep the numbers here down. Interesting animals though.......

• Options
    My mate told me the other week that he was taking up beekeeping - it must be all the rage.

Good luck to you; hopefully the likes of yourself can contribute to the recovery of our bees after a pretty bad decade.

...and Big Rob, that is amazing, I never knew they had those critters in Europe - I've seen them in documentaries in S.America before, but I'll have to keep an eye out for them in the river in front of my house - I know the buggers can swim, so some of them might have fancied a little paddle across the channel!
  • Options
    They use to be in England as well they were all over the Norfolk Broads but were wiped out a few years back.
  • Options
    we still talking about the bees GH?
  • Options
    No sorry Nolly i went off track there re Coipus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have seen a Coypu way back when, whilst fishing on the Norfolk Broads. Funny little things with big gnashers!
  • Options
    I think I ate one of them in South America. 
  • Options

This is stretching the thread a bit, but some years ago I started to feel arthritis in one of my hands. I happened to see an article about manuka honey which I believe may be exclusive to New Zealand, and its ability to hold back the pain. I started to take manuka honey capsules with bee sting, and although I can still feel a twinge in that hand, the other hand has not been affected.

I mentioned this to a friend who was really suffering after years of breaking in horses in California, and he was advised just to take manuka honey. Last time I spoke to him he was amazed at the improvement. If anyone wants details of my supplier in this country, just let me know.

• Options

This is stretching the thread a bit, but some years ago I started to feel arthritis in one of my hands. I happened to see an article about manuka honey which I believe may be exclusive to New Zealand, and its ability to hold back the pain. I started to take manuka honey capsules with bee sting, and although I can still feel a twinge in that hand, the other hand has not been affected.

I mentioned this to a friend who was really suffering after years of breaking in horses in California, and he was advised just to take manuka honey. Last time I spoke to him he was amazed at the improvement. If anyone wants details of my supplier in this country, just let me know.

Be interesting if this works for Gout too?