Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eventvwr scam

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Just had 'Alan Smith' on the phone suggesting I had a big prob with windows as have many in Kettering and they are calling everyone to sort it out. Asked to put eventvwr into run on the pc which I didn't but checked the code on google on my iPad to confirm it was likely to be a scam. After keeping him talking for 10 mins I came clean with my suspicions whereupon he used some very choice language and put the phone down. Appears some get stung £50 for the pleasure and a whole load of stuff pulled off your PC

At least I wasted10 mins of his time and saved other unknowing trusting souls from his call

Comments

• Options
    They are based in India and it is a boiler room type setup trying to get to you to buy some fake anti-virus. 
    India has not been very helpful in helping to track them down and Microsoft (who they claim to be from) have a team trying to track them down. 

• Options
    Manager of Palace one day, IT guru the next.....
  • Options
    They are based in India and it is a boiler room type setup trying to get to you to buy some fake anti-virus. 
    India has not been very helpful in helping to track them down and Microsoft (who they claim to be from) have a team trying to track them down. 

I got the call from Microsoft last week when they advised that they had evidence of various security issues with my laptop
    ... Hung up on them sharpish

Jokers !!!