Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gus Poyet radio interview

Poyet's interview on the radio today where he attempted to defend Suarez really suggested he's completely clueless when it comes to the issue of racism and I find it incredible given how long he's been in this country how he attempted to trivialise the whole issue. I lost a lot of respect for him today and I'm glad he never became our manager - very disappointed by what he said.

Comments

• Options
    "If you're fat, then you're fat". Personally I can't argue with that.

He has been a bit naive though - he will take a hammering for this for sure.

• Options
    Attitudes and sensitivity toward ethnicity are far different (behind you might say) in Latin America. You could perhaps attribute it to the conflict following the mass shipment of African slaves by the Portuguese & Spanish. 
    In Mexico they pinch themselves every time they see a black guy. I bite my tongue when my friends here refer to a fella with darker skin as 'El Negrito'. It essentially boils down to culture and upbringing.
    No excuse for Gus Poyet, he hasn't spent his entire life rarely seeing a black person, he's been in football a long time and should know better. Especially given that he states he has been verbally abused whilst playing Spain.
  • Options
    I was very disappointed with what he said - he needs to go away and think!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I tried to say in the Blatter post that it was acceptable abroad but I think came over as a right wing Tory euro sceptic. Basically there is a philosophy that you can say anything to unsettle a player on the pitch and it is the player who react's fault. It is no suprise to me that the biggest reaction to Blatter's comments come from these shores because we feel strongly about these things and abhor cheating. If an Englishman wins a football match by cheating we are ashamed, if say an Italian wins by cheating, he wins. It's a cultural thing.

Where there is a problem is that racism transends this cultural difference. There is a difference from telling an opponent that you sh**ed his girlfriend to making a racist remark to gain the effect you desire. When you break this down, even Blatter can't defend it although the 'Fair Play' organisation FIFA have been accepting these behaviours for ever! To be willing to make that remark makes you a racist even if you think you are not. I think FIFA and UEFA need to take stock of what is acceptable and this could have a positive long term impact on the game as there is a lot of work to be done, especially in eastern block countries..
  • Options

Should have kept his mouth shut just like he did when he was being 'abused' as a player.

• Options
    To be honest i agree with what poyet has said, because you can't prove if someone is being racist on a football pitch. In the lower leagues there is racism all the time, there is a lot of banter ! , but you don't hear any of them making meals of it . They just get on with it and call them whatever they want.

I mean ffs your playing in the premier league earning £££,£££ a year. Get on with it. Its football !
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    To be honest i agree with what poyet has said, because you can't prove if someone is being racist on a football pitch. In the lower leagues there is racism all the time, there is a lot of banter ! , but you don't hear any of them making meals of it . They just get on with it and call them whatever they want.

I mean ffs your playing in the premier league earning £££,£££ a year. Get on with it. Its football !
    Racism isn't banter. And the reason it goes on at lower levels is because it's never been dealt with properly at any level. It's harder for a lower league or amateur to speak up and demand action because there isn't enough media coverage at those levels, so a player risks isolating himself and getting more grief as a result.
    High profile professional players must speak out because the media spotlight will bring it to the attention of the masses and cause discussion - as we are witnessing in the media including forums like this one. Evra and Anton Ferdinand have done the right thing (assuming their complaints are accurate) and should be applauded.
  • Options

Racism isn't banter. And the reason it goes on at lower levels is because it's never been dealt with properly at any level. It's harder for a lower league or amateur to speak up and demand action because there isn't enough media coverage at those levels, so a player risks isolating himself and getting more grief as a result.
    High profile professional players must speak out because the media spotlight will bring it to the attention of the masses and cause discussion - as we are witnessing in the media including forums like this one. Evra and Anton Ferdinand have done the right thing (assuming their complaints are accurate) and should be applauded.
    This whole thing is going to get out of hand ! . I dont agree with racism by all means , but this is ridiculous. With terrys situation there was evidence , however with evras case who knows the truth ?
  • Options
    I think Mr Poyet has opened himself up to a lot of problems on this issue.  It will be interesting to see the crowd reaction at his next away game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poyet should be fined.
  • Options
    Poyet should be fined.
    Really ?... What for free speach ? .. What is this world coming to ?
  • Options
    Poyet should be fined.
    Really ?... What for free speach ? .. What is this world coming to ?

I don't see that he should be fined unless he's done something contrary to the laws of the game. However he hasn't explained himself very well and there are limits to free speech.
  • Options

what's the cut off salary when it matters what's said to you ??
  • Options
    I think Mr Poyet has opened himself up to a lot of problems on this issue.  It will be interesting to see the crowd reaction at his next away game.
    Yeah. Gonna be some real nasty politically correct banter flying his way!

• Options

You can't prove someone's a racist, but you can prove someone is behaving in a racist manner.  And to be frank, if you're not racist why would you behave that way?  It's just not acceptable mate, and it mustn't be ignored at any level. 

Poyet's point seems to be that cultural ignorance is justification for any kind of unacceptable behaviour, which just makes a well respected manager look very foolish. Thing is that his view is the most widely accepted in football in Europe where anything goes for 90 minutes to gain a competitive advantage.  This is why Blatter said what he did, because that's the prevailing view.

Culturally this country is probably the most tolerant/accepting in the world of such a variety of races, nationalities and cultures. But it's taken a lot of hard work to ensure that racism is understood and rejected by the vast majority of people here, and a lot of hard work to 'kick it out' of football off and on the pitch.  Let's not give it even the smallest foothold.

• Options
    We should only hope that Mr Poyet would take the same line about cultural differences, if hypothetically one of his young Spanish footballers (if he has any) happens to be found having sex with Mr Poyets 13 year old daughter ( or son - lets not be sexist) (if he has any children). The defence that its all quite legal in Spain as the age of consent is 13 would be an interesting one for him to make.  This is of course a totally hypothetical situation.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    What the fu ....?!?!?
  • Options
    *sprays tea over laptop*
  • Options
    We should only hope that Mr Poyet would take the same line about cultural differences, if hypothetically one of his young Spanish footballers (if he has any) happens to be found having sex with Mr Poyets 13 year old daughter ( or son - lets not be sexist) (if he has any children).
    If he has any kids???? I take it you don't really follow charlton then?

That has to be one of the strangest post on here for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poyet is a f***ing idiot. He knows full well that 'Negrito', in the context that Suarez was (allegedly) using it is racist. Just saying it's accepted as a term of endearment in Uruguay is utter bollocks. It's no more a 'term of endearment' there than 'Mono' is in Spain. Unless Suarez and Evra are pals or have been teammates there's no way on Earth he would ever have used the word as an 'affectionate' term. Besides - it's only 'affectionate' there because Uruguay's black population is treated like dogshit - much like they are in Spain, in fact. Interestingly enough, I haven't seen any black Uruguayan's of note interviewed anywhere and say they like being referred to as (transliteration) 'my little coon'.
  • Options
    Yes,understand son is signed up to Charlton Academy but was talking of a hypothetical 13 year old kid having sex with an 18 year old Spanish player who is just over from Spain.  The  not understanding cultural differences defence- that Mr Poyet deploys on behalf of Suarez could also be used by him to defend anyone who has just hit our shores.  Can't see why you don't understand this hypothetical argument.  I was trying to depersonalise obviously without success!
  • Options
    what's the Spanish player's name then?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Maybe Ruben's been a naughty boy :o)
     Alonso is still in the midst of playing the greatest game of hide and seek .. EVER !!! .... so can't be him
  • Options
    Yes,understand son is signed up to Charlton Academy but was talking of a hypothetical 13 year old kid having sex with an 18 year old Spanish player who is just over from Spain.  The  not understanding cultural differences defence- that Mr Poyet deploys on behalf of Suarez could also be used by him to defend anyone who has just hit our shores.  Can't see why you don't understand this hypothetical argument.  I was trying to depersonalise obviously without success!
    I'm having trouble getting my head round your posts but then again I am universaly thought of as being thick as shyte!
  • Options
    Davedave I think statutory rape is a bit different to racism!