Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Middlesborough Scout with locked-in syndrome, blinks to recommend players.

When Blackpool head of youth development Gary
Parkinson suffered a severe stroke in September 2010 that left him
paralysed, it appeared his involvement in football was over.

But, despite the huge setback, Middlesbrough boss Tony
Mowbray has found a way of tapping into the former Boro defender's
football knowledge.

The 43-year-old, a former Ayresome Park team-mate of Mowbray's, suffers from locked-in syndrome.

It is an illness which leaves the sufferer fully cognitively
aware but totally paralysed apart from being able to use their eyes.

Parkinson views DVDs of potential signings for Mowbray and subsequently rates the players by blinking to his wife Deborah.

Comments

• good luck to him , i remember the name from years gone by

• I think that is the condition I most fear having - not being able to do anything but being fully aware must be hell. Good luck to him, and well done Boro for utilising his skills.
  • So sad. Good luck
  • I sometimes get something called Sleep Paralysis where my brain is awake, my eyes are open but my body is alseep. I can look around, and see and think as normal but my body wont move. That is scary, and horrible.

I cant imagine living like that every day!

• Mowbray has great compassion. Good luck to the fella.
  • "We were determined to give Gary a role where he could feel involved. Not only that, I genuinely value his opinions about the game.

"We let him have a look at some of the players who come to our attention and it gives Gary something to concentrate on.

"Long after he ceases to be headline news, we will still be there for him."

Tony Mowbray.

What a brilliant human being this bloke is, lifts the spirits to see that the game has not been completely over-run by spivs.

• Yes, a brilliant story. Great he has been found a role where he is also of use to the club -that fact will be important to Parkinson. Credit to Mowbray for making it happen.
  • Yes, Tony Mowbray comes out of this very well - and yet I've not seen this picked up on the TV at all - obviously done in a respectful low(ish) profile way.
  • I sometimes get something called Sleep Paralysis where my brain is awake, my eyes are open but my body is alseep. I can look around, and see and think as normal but my body wont move. That is scary, and horrible.

I cant imagine living like that every day!

I've had that, along with hallucinations that a burglar was in the house. If you know what it is, it's less scary. Apparently, sleep paralysis is the reason behind alien abductions (seriously)