Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walking to away games

edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Can anyone settle an argument?

When did we used to walk to Millwall and i think it was QPR when everyone jumped on the tube at New Cross.

1970's?

Comments

• Options

There was a walk to QPR in support of Eddie Firmani in about 1971.

I walked to the Newcastle away game in 2002, admittedly I started from the Newcastle Travelodge.

• Options
    Definitely a walk to Palace around September 1967.
  • Options
    Walked to West Ham a couple of times, pub crawl on the way there and back and singing our heads off in the Woolwich foot tunnel!
  • Options
    Definitely a walk to Palace around September 1967.

September 1968.....3-3 draw we went 2-0 up losing 3-2 late equaliser from Harry Gregory I think, not sure but he might also have missed a penalty. Filled the holmesdale................funny no palace about...some things never change ;-) 

About 2000 walked, picture on the front of the Kentish Independent, wrote an essay on it for school warts & all , fights looting etc ......parents went apeshit lol 

• Options

Whenever Charlton play QPR the song lyric 'If you are going to San Fransisco be sure to wear flowers in your hair' pops into my head because in the games leading up to the one where a large group of Charlton fans walked to Loftus Road the fans in the covered end use to sing, to that tune, 'If you are going to Queens Park Rangers be sure to............' ???????? But I can't remember the rest of the lyrics. Surely they changed the lyric '...wear flowers in your hair'. Particularly since a lot of the fans were skinheads! Was it something like '..... wear Doctor Martens on your feet'?

Does anyone remember why it was decided to walk to that game?

• Options
    I doubt if it was Doc Martins, cherry red cappers were the boot to wear.
  • Options

Whenever Charlton play QPR the song lyric 'If you are going to San Fransisco be sure to wear flowers in your hair' pops into my head because in the games leading up to the one where a large group of Charlton fans walked to Loftus Road the fans in the covered end use to sing, to that tune, 'If you are going to Queens Park Rangers be sure to............' ???????? But I can't remember the rest of the lyrics. Surely they changed the lyric '...wear flowers in your hair'. Particularly since a lot of the fans were skinheads! Was it something like '..... wear Doctor Martens on your feet'?

i think the rest of the song was `kill some coppers while you're there'
  • Options

It was a show of support for Eddie Firmani.

With regard the song, it was definitely to do with what you wore on your feet.
    I think the reference to Cherry Reds 'Cappers' stirs a memory or two.

Happy days!

• Options
    This was the 25th October 69/70 season (Theo was in charge in 71). Eddie's job was in jeopardy which was part of the reason (to show support). He lost the job before the end of the season to Theo.

QPR had Rodney Marsh up front and El Tel in defence. We drew 1-1 after a goal from Mick Kenning put us in front.  The legendary Norman Burtenshaw was referee.

I'll get me coat.

• Options

This and the Vilage thread are like regression therapy.

The well dressed Charlton boy would have been wearing,

White Levi Sta-Pressed,

Checked Ben Sherman (or Brutus if your mum couldn't afford Ben Sherman),

Red Braces,

Cappers,

Skinhead haircut with a razor parting on the left.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah Baldybonce but your Ben Sherman was only pucker if you went up to Brewer Street and bought it from Squires..........happy days!
  • Options
    Happy days indeed.
  • Options
    Ah Baldybonce but your Ben Sherman was only pucker if you went up to Brewer Street and bought it from Squires..........happy days!
    Think there was a place just round the back of (what was Old Broad Street) Silvers?
    Used to sell all the gear.

Don't forget the Harrington jacket with tartan inside :-)

• Options
    oh yes the Harrington. The more recent copies are not a patch on the originals.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Out of choice I was a loafers / brogues man myself but did the cherry reds come before the monkey boots or after?
  • Options
    Before i think. Were'nt they banned?
  • Options
    Hope not I used to do my gardening in them up until they fell apart a few years ago!
  • Options
    I think steel toecaps were banned from the ground thats why we wore monkey boots. The shoeshop in the village still sells them.
  • Options
    brougues polished daily and with 1/4 tipped heals.

Squires were shoes as well.

My crombie was brought in Woolwich although im sure it wasnt an ACTUAL crombie

Skyline was a cheap Ben Sherman

Tonic suits from Deptford High street old jewish guys shop at the new cross end on the street
  • Options
    Don't forget the Sheepshins Goonerhater a little while after, had mine nicked from my mates motor outside the Gloucester pub in Greenwich after an evening game and it was stuffed down behind the drivers seat GRRRH!