Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Webster

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Been a while since I was on here. I am tryin to locate the former Charlton defender, Simon Webster, does anyone know the whereabouts of him or where I can locate him? Does he post on here or anythinng?

Comments

• Options

No he doesn't post on here but he's a qualified physiotherapist.

Last I heard he was working for The NHS at Beckenham Cottage Hospital...but that was a good few years back. 

• Options
    He works for the CAFC trust as well, contact Jason Morgan at the club and he will be able to help
  • Options
    Close to the best captain, best leader we have ever had. I reckon he is a top top bloke too. BTW had him at 40-1 once as first scorer (think it was against Brizzle City at Upton Park), got to the 80th min at 0-0, along comes Webbo, whoooosh 1-0 happy days.
  • Options
    Close to the best captain, best leader we have ever had. I reckon he is a top top bloke too. BTW had him at 40-1 once as first scorer (think it was against Brizzle City at Upton Park), got to the 80th min at 0-0, along comes Webbo, whoooosh 1-0 happy days.

He scored a cracking late winner at Swindon too that season, a rocket free-kick from around 25 yards.

I am sure that the goal you are talking about was a volley from the edge of the box, in front of the North Bank at Upton Park.

• Options

February 1992 I believe. My first Addick had just been born the day before, if I'm correct. I definitely remember visiting the wife in hospital, dead chuffed with Webster's goal  :-)  
  • Options
    Great player - have fond memories of him - always gave 100% and got stuck in.  He was great.
  • Options
    Inspirational leader during tough times...liked him immensely
  • Options
    Nice Post Seth, Memories Coming Back Now. Was actually in the 93rd Minute in a 2-1 Win. Fantastic Centre-Back & Captain. Remember him heading a ball at less than Knee Height just to clear the Danger & sod the consequences to his boat. Magnificant
  • Options
    That was one of my favourite cafc goals. Volleyed it from edge of area into top corner. Bristol city wore yellow. I was 12
  • Options

As the song went

HIS NAME IS SIMON WEBSTER HE'S THE LEADER OF OUR TEAM.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Forget the game (away I think) but he had taken a booking but we were leading and late on the striker got clean through on goal before Webbo snaked out a leg risking a cast iron red but won the ball to rescue us. Few players braver than Webbo have worn the red shirt in my time watching Charlton. Led the team out on the first game back at The Valley too.

• Options
    Nice Post Seth, Memories Coming Back Now. Was actually in the 93rd Minute in a 2-1 Win. Fantastic Centre-Back & Captain. Remember him heading a ball at less than Knee Height just to clear the Danger & sod the consequences to his boat. Magnificant
    And Aizlewood was playing for Bristol City - even sweeter!
  • Options

Co-incidentally, a two-page interview with Webster can be found in Monday's Valley Review as part of the Yesterday's Hero series, while the Charlton Live team also interviewed him earlier this season.

If you don't subscribe to CAFC Player, the audio interview is also available on the Charlton Live podcasts via iTunes and www.charltonlive.co.uk.

• Options
    Did you ask him what he's doing now Matt - or do we have to buy the programme to find out?
  • Options
    Looking back Webster was another player who had a shaky start to life at Charlton, for the first half of the 90/91 season at Selhurst he (like most of the team bar Robert Lee) was average and looked nothing great but in the second half of the season he improved and by 1991/92 (first season at Upton Park) he was outstanding. 
  • Options
    Still turns out for the CAFC veterans I believe. Always gave 100%. Top geezer :-)
  • Options
    Seen him more than once at the Valley this season by the hospitality entrance next to the east stand turnstiles. Just assumed he was doing the hospitality gig on matchdays. Lovely bloke who aways has time for addicks.
  • Options
    Inspirational captain and an excellent defender. It was "all for one and one for all" when Webbo was leading the team. Such a shame that his career was ruined by a tackle from his new team mate Julian Dicks in training, shortly after joining the Hammers. I think he could have gone a long way in the game.
  • Options
    Great captain and a great bloke. Remember him in The Oak after the first match back at The Valley, stood on a table singing an anti-Millwall song. Bought everyone in the pub a drink too...  
  • Options

was one of the first players i can remember that i was truely gutted for when he left, didnt he fook his knee playing for wet spam in training against julian dicks

was a real tough centre half webbo

i had 2 quid on him in that game ormiston as well

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Saw him a couple of times, in the gym at The Valley, that prick Dicks made a right old mess of his leg.

• Options
    Great captain and a great bloke. Remember him in The Oak after the first match back at The Valley, stood on a table singing an anti-Millwall song. Bought everyone in the pub a drink too...  
    Don't rememeber it being anti millwall but he certainly led many of his team mates & ex charlton players & however many fans had managed to get in (it was a private do I think) in singing Charlton songs. Top bloke totally commited to the cause on & off the pitch !
  • Options
    It was an adaption of a song the Blades sang about the Owls CB. It was a private do, luckily I had a ticket... 
  • Options
    It was an adaption of a song the Blades sang about the Owls CB. It was a private do, luckily I had a ticket... 
    I was there mate without a ticket ;-)  4 of us walked in with a couple of players 
  • Options
    One skipper webbo these only one skipper webbo. He was great what a leader he was the sort of character we have missed in recent times. The goal against bristol city was a true rocket one of them times we were at the back of the north bank and ended up near the front. We probably only past about 50 people during that surge lol those were the days.
  • Options

Saw him a couple of times, in the gym at The Valley, that prick Dicks made a right old mess of his leg.

To be fair, I think his leg was in a right old mess anyway. Am sure he broke it badly before he joined us (when he played for Huddersfield?) and it was badly scared long before Dicks got anywhere near it.
  • Options

To be fair, I think his leg was in a right old mess anyway. Am sure he broke it badly before he joined us (when he played for Huddersfield?) and it was badly scared long before Dicks got anywhere near it.

Yes, that's right, he had a really bad leg break at Huddersfield, I think that is why he started so slowly when he came to us.
  • Options

@Off_it Simon works for Nuffield Health and recently returned to do some work with the women's set-up at the community trust.

As I mentioned, you can listen to an audio interview with him here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/charlton-live/id415840052 via podcast 7 (October 16th).

• Options
    Nice one Matt.

Got a lot of manlove for Skipper Webbo.