Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goal Line Technology next season at last?

Goal-line technology could be used as early as next season in the Premier League, according to the Football Association.

The general secretary of the FA, Alex Horne, told the BBC
that if one or more of the systems currently being tested works then the
laws governing football are likely to change.

"I think goal-line technology would be a huge boost for the game," said Horne.

"For years we've thought this was a good addition to referees' armoury."

Nine systems are currently under review by an independent
testing authority employed by Fifa. A final decision is expected to be
made in July 2012.

Comments

• about bloody time
  • Next season is too soon. About time it came in though, as nth said.

I don't follow European football, are the assistance behind the goal much use?

Why is it too soon?
  • Fod they still miss loads of incidents in the box but i dont think they have made a jot of difference to the goal line thing,

Not soon enough for me bring it in tomorrow

• only 60 years behind horse racing.

• Bad news.  It will take a lot of fun and debate away from us.
  • edited November 2011

How is it fair to use technology to award 1 team a goal that the naked eye of an offical hadn't and then not award the other team a goal that was incorrectly given as offside because TV etc was not allowed to be used?

It should be all or nothing and in my book, nothing. Leave it as it is.

Why is it too soon?
    Too soon for them to introduce it as they're incompetent.
    Agree. I enjoy being down the pub on a Saturday night talking about football incidents during the day or week. Did it cross/didnt it.
  • Offside, fouls etc are all interpretations of laws. A ball crossing the line is a matter of fact, that's the difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed WSS, if it works properly it should start next season.
  • edited November 2011

i wonder if, back in the day, people  were saying " but using a cross 'bar' instead of a piece of string will leave us with nothing to debate"

or "what bloody difference will putting a net on the posts to catch the ball make"

• The back pass rule has improved the game immensely.
  • Its never been the same game since we stopped using jumpers for goalposts....
  • The back pass rule has improved the game immensely.
    So has the change on the Off-side law. If only people who sit near me, work with me, watch and officiate in my kids football understood it though.
  • How is it fair to use technology to award 1 team a goal that the naked eye of an offical hadn't and then not award the other team a goal that was incorrectly given as offside because TV etc was not allowed to be used.

It should be all or nothing and in my book, nothing. Leave it as it is.

So think this!!
  • for once I agree with Chirpy
  • for once I agree with Chirpy
    Takes a big man to make a statement like that.
  • So, soon we will have nothing to debate throughout the week, great
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there ever much debate about goals awarded?
    We all watch the TV replay and say ''Yup that was a goal they missed'' or we all say ''That was never a goal - why oh why cant we have goal line technology'' with very rare exceptions.
    We can still debate offsides, fouls the height of defenders, who turned the floodlights off etc.!
  • Just get better officials :)
  • It is a good thing. If a ball crosses the line, it is a goal and if it goes unnoticed It could seriously affect the way the team play for the rest of the game. (England)
  • Don't see how people are complaining that it will affect their pub banter... with a "did the ball cross the line decision" normally you know for certain whether it did or not as soon as the bajillion replays come up of it. Don't see how you can have banter over that really. The "was it a penalty?" "Was he offside?" "Was he fouled?" "How did the ref not give him a red card?" questions are where your precious banter come from?
  • Terrible, as bad as plastic pitches, modern footballs and too many games on the telly 
  • its good as long as they dont make a massive drama of the decision...with a drum role and music being belted out before the phrase 'GOAL' comes up on a giant screen and everyone goes mad and theres fireworks all over the shop. just a simple yes/no into the refs earpiece will do.
  • its good as long as they dont make a massive drama of the decision...with a drum role and music being belted out before the phrase 'GOAL' comes up on a giant screen and everyone goes mad and theres fireworks all over the shop. just a simple yes/no into the refs earpiece will do.
    The plan is for the decision to be transmitted to the Referee's wrist watch, according to trials.
    Agree. I enjoy being down the pub on a Saturday night talking about football incidents during the day or week. Did it cross/didnt it.
    How can any improvement to football be bad news?
  • Is there ever much debate about goals awarded?
    We all watch the TV replay and say ''Yup that was a goal they missed'' or we all say ''That was never a goal - why oh why cant we have goal line technology'' with very rare exceptions.
    We can still debate offsides, fouls the height of defenders, who turned the floodlights off etc.!
    Er ... think the Germans still have the odd moan about one 45 years ago.
  • edited November 2011

it crossed the line!!!!

http://youtu.be/arfUBkPOK3w

the england one not the german one 45 years ago.