Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OU Course fees

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Just looking at course fees re the OU and was stunned to see course fees for a 60 credit module are £2,500 !!! im sure i used to pay aprox £800. I cant afford to pay that much  but then the salt in the wound is OU students based in Scotland pay £750-------------------- FFS its just constant piss take out of the peoples of England.  

Have emailed OU to see if the fee thing is correct -- seems to be a huge jump from what i used to pay to £2,500

Comments

• Options

Looked it up recently and saw the same ... ridicuous price and certainly used to be far cheaper.

Plus a lot of the courses no longer provide the opportunity to get together with others studying the same course for a few days due to cost cutting.

• Options
    This what happens when you have a government determined to pull the plug on state funding of higher education.
  • Options
    I started my MSc  about 15 years ago, each course was about £800, I think my dissertation was about £1700, so the whole thing was about £5K.
  • Options
    Why don't you get an address in Scotland? Looking at those prices you could even pay someone a little to receive stuff for you and post it on.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

You think thats dear look at their MBA...

Standard MSc comes in at around £5 and a half K.  It'll cost you around £12k for a masters at an orthodox uni.

• Options
    I've enrolled for a January start so miss the increase
  • Options
    just had an email reply from the OU. The fees are as above. A 120 credit year would cost £5k (how do u pay this ,study and work?) so a full degree will cost £15K !!! the Scots as said only pay a fraction or as the OU put it " in line with subsides as agreed by each nation within the UK"

I thought the OUs "mission statement" was access to all"  isnt that why it was set up ? well my idea of doing some more studying has gone. As for develution its a total and utter piss take.
  • Options
    Glad I did it a few years back: these prices are ridiculous.

I wasn't joking with my previous suggestion: all you need to do is find a person who knows someone who knows someone etc who lives in Scotland.
  • Options
    As i did Jim  but i was just stunned to see how much the costs have risen ----had no real idea of what i was going to study. Im sure i paid about £750--£800 plus more if there was a summer school. Went to Uni of Sussex one year  old but in the Downs and a loverly place and Uni of East Anglia in Norwich which was fantastic -- loved it.£2.5K a pop thats out the window.

Might do a NEBOSH course 
  • Options

I took a degree course back in the 80s when OU was the 'people's university' as Wilson intended, and the price was right. Like all education systems nowadays it is a good money earner and a refuge for middle class left wing know alls who can't get a job anywhere else and who like working a 10 hour week. THAT is where the money goes. Also, there is too much fancy technology and programme making. The OU is about (or should be about) education and not too much entertainment.

As the man said, the English are getting ripped off left right and centre.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    costs are higher than before but that is due to the new fee structure for HE put in by the government. When compared with other universities the OU are still pretty much the cheapest option.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I'm a middle (ish) class left (ish) wing know it all.  I do have a job somewhere else but I'd love to work a 10 hr week for the OU.  I had no idea it was that easy.  Where do I apply? 

Also my Dad was Scottish so I will probably benefit from positive discrimination.

;0

• Options

I'm a middle (ish) class left (ish) wing know it all.  I do have a job somewhere else but I'd love to work a 10 hr week for the OU.  I had no idea it was that easy.  Where do I apply? 

Also my Dad was Scottish so I will probably benefit from positive discrimination.

;0

you sound like just the sort of chappie the OU employs ... silly as a box of frogs ... try their website .. under vacancies .. but you need at leaast a phd in something constructive .. for example Balkan and Mesopotamian basket weaving in the 3rd Century BC