Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford planned toll increase scrapped

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
PLANS TO raise tolls at the Dartford Crossing have been scrapped following public opposition.

Tolls will remain at £1.50 until at least April next year.

The Department for Transport announced plans in June this year for the cost to increase to £2 for cars in November, with a further rise of 50p early in 2012.

Lorries would have seen a rise from £3.70 to £5 by the end of the year and a further increase to £6 in 2012.

A public consultation into the proposals lasting nearly three months ended in September.

Secretary of state for transport Mike Penning said: “I am pleased with the number of responses received and the level of engagement from local communities.

“In recognition of the number of representations made and to allow the department time to carefully consider the responses further, I can advise that there will be no increase in either November 2011 or April 2012.”

Results from a survey of businesses in London, Kent and Essex carried out during the consultation revealed 86 per cent of the 590 respondents disagreed with an increase in toll charges.

Dartford MP Gareth Johnson was pleased with the government’s decision.

He said: “This delay is very much to be welcomed, particularly by retailers at this time of the year when people have tight budgets.

“The local people will welcome the fact they have more money in their pockets which would not have been the case if the tolls had gone up.

“It is interesting the Department for Transport had thousands of people object and I’m pleased the department have taken the objections into account.”

He maintained his opinion that the tolls should completely be scrapped, having previously described the crossing as “Dartford’s nemesis.”

Leader of Kent County Council Paul Carter said: “I welcome the fact the toll charges will not be increased.

“It is important the Department for Transport continues to look at delivering additional crossing capacity of the Thames and makes a firmer commitment to when this will happen.

“When tolls go up that money must be earmarked for an additional crossing.”

A final decision on toll rises and a full response to the consultation will be announced early next year.

Comments

• Options
    Wasnit it Off It who piped up about driving another route?  Not one of the cleverest things he's said on here.

Well done to everyone that complained. 
  • Options

Veiled good news.

The whole bloody thing thing should be scrapped as originally promised once it had paid for itself.

The congestion it causes is a joke as well.

• Options

Once Kent and Essex Councils got ownership there was no chance that the toll would ever be abolished as originally promised. So much for all the anti-polution guff we have to swallow from these councils, we would not want it to come before a nice little earner would we ?

• Options
    Goodish news and thanks for the info Covered End....but still daylight bloody robbery!
  • Options
    This really steams me up big time. There was a clear statement that when the bridge was paid for the tolls would be scrapped but as said a nice earner. How this fits with environmental issues I have no idea the other Friday I sat in a 8 mile queue to get through the tolls coming from Essex, all those cars and trucks spewing out emissions it's bloody hypocrisy. Instead we have probably the most consistently worse traffic jam in the whole of the UK on our doorstep.
  • Options

We desperately need another river crossing somewhere between Blackwall and Dartford.

Not in my lifetime though!

• Options
    Cash cow , we should build more of these around the country, unemployment reduced , and extra taxes raised, not quite sure where you'd build them though!
  • Options
    Not a bad idea MIA in the great Keynesian tradition, of course cost has to be reasonable otherwise you get another M6 toll road only those using expense accounts use the bloody thing the rest still sit in the same traffic jam through Birmingham because at £5.30 a trip it's too dear.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    True Dave , i've never used that Birmingham toll road because of the cost, but then i am tight ;-0
  • Options
    edited November 2011

We desperately need another river crossing somewhere between Blackwall and Dartford.

Ever since the sixties (if not before) the idea of building a motorway through Oxleas Woods, Woodlands Farm etc periodically comes up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Ever since the sixties (if not before) the idea of building a motorway through Oxleas Woods, Woodlands Farm etc periodically comes up.

First thing Boris scrapped when he got in.
  • Options
    Good news but they were supposed to scrap the charge altogether!
  • Options

Yep, I got a green blue peter badge for writing in about this very issue when it came up in the 80s
  • Options
    Great News, for once idiot politicians listened to the people or maybe realised
    by the against votes it would be a bad PR decision.
  • Options
    Crossing is "owned" by Highways Agency not Essex or Kent County Councils.

As many have said too much of a cash cow for any govt of any colour/shape or form to make good the Promise to scrap the tolls.

If the money was actually used to improve the roads and possibly fund a fourth crossing then maybe, just maybe it would be valid to keep it in place. Otherwise it just causes increased congestion day in, day out.
  • Options
    Everything has a cost these days, so why does the Gov't work out the cost to british industry of the delays at the tunnel and realise that it is not covered by the revenue generated.

Although the toll is not increasing short term they are planning for introducing new technology to collect revenues easier.
  • Options
    Great News, for once idiot politicians listened to the people or maybe realised
    by the against votes it would be a bad PR decision.
    For once?
    Immigration, Riot benefits, Fuel surcharges to name but three -  all to be/having been debated in Parliament in a truly democratic way following e-petitions introduced by the current government
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I take it from this and the VAT thread that you won't be voting for Ed Millibean's party at the next General Election then FM !
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Might do...I love war.

PS - JOKING
  • Options
    Move to posh ole dartford and get a residents dart tag - only 20p a crossing ;-)

Seriously though, its a total rip off and should be free to all. I live in DA and work near Thurrock and use the tunnel/bridge every day. It was so messed up a few weeks back that I had to use Blackwall and come back down to DA.  For pedestrians, there is always the Gravesend/Tilbury ferry :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Move to posh ole dartford and get a residents dart tag - only 20p a crossing ;-)

Seriously though, its a total rip off and should be free to all. I live in DA and work near Thurrock and use the tunnel/bridge every day. It was so messed up a few weeks back that I had to use Blackwall and come back down to DA.  For pedestrians, there is always the Gravesend/Tilbury ferry :-)

Try not to bumpinto me on monday as we travel from thurrock to the valley
  • Options
    As if the fuel wasn't enough......but a bit of sense at last. Increasing the toll will never decrease the traffic, not by very much anyway. Not many people are crossing there for fun!!! If they want it to improve and still make money they need to do it like the congestion charge or leave it how it is. But even then really it is ridiculous that every single day the congestion tailbacks are what they are