Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Clark ahead of Monday

edited November 2011 in General Charlton

From the Huddersfield Daily Examiner

LEE CLARK looked ahead to tackling League I leaders Charlton on their own patch on Monday night and smiled: “I want to be playing games like this every week.”

Town’s boss says the Sky-televised clash in South London (7.45) comes too early for it to be season-defining.

But the man who has guided the Galpharm club to a new Football League record of 43 games unbeaten warned: “It’s important we keep getting points on the board.”

Chris Powell’s Addicks would go eight points in front of a Town side currently second by becoming the first to beat them in a League I game since Southampton last December.

But Town, whose next milestone target is matching Arsenal’s 49 matches without loss Premier League run of 2003-04, are determined not to let that happen.

“As I’ve said throughout the run, it’s all about taking things one match at a time,” continued Clark.

“It happens that this one is the toughest of the season so far because we’re playing a team who are top of the league, and deservedly so, on their own patch.

“I think the clubs have a lot of respect for each other, and I certainly rate Chris and the side he has built very highly.

“He was an outstanding player (for Crystal Palace, Southend, Derby, West Ham, Watford and Leicester as well as Charlton) and a terrific guy, very bubbly.

“He’s also proving himself to be an outstanding manager, with the players he has recruited combining to form a very good group.

“I’ve watched a lot of footage of Charlton and read a lot of reports, and they are certainly a side who like to go for the jugular.

“But I’d like to think we are too, and while The Valley is a proper football ground with a Premier League history, this will be a proper football match.”

Comments

• Options
    Proper like
  • Options
    Surprised that he has given us so much credit. 8 points clear would be unbelievable.
  • Options
    I thought your previous effort was better AFKA. Didn't really "get it" this time.
  • Options
    Somehow I can't see Karl Robinson saying some of those things. Something about Clarke that makes him quite likeable, not as likeable as our gaffer though!
  • Options
    I thought your previous effort was better AFKA. Didn't really "get it" this time.

ha, very good !
  • Options
    Agree.  That sounds nothing like Lee Clark and not even slightly funny
  • Options
    Yes, no idea whats gone on here at all.

Soon as i saw the heading i was coming on to rant about that man... thrown me right out that has.
  • Options

Charlton, who were in the top flight as recently as 2007, are desperate to regain the Championship place lost in 2009.

They have held the league leadership for the last 11 matches and are
    eyeing a sixth straight victory after beating Carlisle, Wycombe,
    Hartlepool, Preston and Brentford.

The loss of influential skipper Johnnie Jackson with a hamstring
    injury is a blow, but Powell has on-loan QPR midfielder Hogan Ephraim to
    call on.

With former Tottenham, Colchester and Notts County man Jackson out,
    only two of the predicted Charlton starting XI, right-back Chris Solly
    and 14-goal top scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips, were around last season.

Powell’s close-season business included the recruitment of keeper
    Ben Hamer from Reading, left-back Rhoys Wiggins and midfielder Danny
    Hollands from Bournemouth and centre-backs Michael Morrison (Sheffield
    Wednesday) and Matt Taylor (Exeter).

Midfielders Danny Green and Andy Hughes moved from Dagenham and
    Redbridge and Scunthorpe respectively, while French striker Yann
    Kermorgant arrived in September after his release by Leicester.

Former Oldham midfielder Dale Stephens is out injured, but
    ex-Leicester coach Powell can also call on one-time Town loan striker
    Paul Hayes, a summer signing from Preston and tricky midfielder Scott
    Wagstaff, like Solly, a Charlton youth product.

• Options
    Quite looking forward to singing at the end pf the game on monday "43 games, you're having a laugh"

Well, hopefullly anyway!!
  • Options
    Whatever happens on Monday it won't be the defining moment of the season for either team. Lots of water to pass under the bridge yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I give Lee Clark the same respect that he gave to Chris Powell and Charlton. I wish them luck in the battle for second place.
  • Options
    The Wendys are probably hoping that we win.  That way, if they beat Orient they go second wheras if we draw with Udders they remain in third.  I can't recall being so nervous about a game in years.  Perhaps it is that after so much expectation in recent seasons, only to fall flat, this game of all we have played this year, could demonstrate if we are the real deal.  It won't win or lose us promotion in itself, but momentum is so important.
  • Options
    only another few mentions of their (almost a run) run... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hope we go up as Champions and they come 2nd
  • Options
    Yeah don't mind Lee Clark. Probably because he was part of the Sunderland team that played against us in the Playoffs.
  • Options
    Liked him since i saw him going bonkers on the sideline last year at the valley
  • Options

Can't stand the man, their's no one I dislike more in football than him.

• Options
    I can think of a few, Ashley cole, Rooney,Savage...
  • Options
    Alan Pardew?
  • Options
    I find it hard to understand him when he speaks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can't stand the man, their's no one I dislike more in football than him.

Megson
  • Options
    Dowie, the forgotten man?
  • Options
    Lee Hughes?
  • Options
    Don't see how anybody can hate somebody they don't really know. I respect him as a manager - and justice will be served if both us and them go up. The 2 best footballing teams in the league by some distance.
  • Options
    Strange, I quite like them all
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Respect to Lee Clarke, clearly a capable, principled, dedicated manager, but describing CP as "very bubbly".  That's just wrong on many levels.
  • Options
    Man love.
  • Options
    Strange, I quite like them all
    Your  right, that is strange :-)
  • Options
    Lee Clarke was a good footballer in his time and is turning out to be a good manager who hasn't jumpt ship at the first biggish club to dangle a large cheque in front of him. Respect to the man, innit.
  • Options
    Lee Hughes?
    Murderer !!! -- says it all really , has to be the most hated person in the history of football.