Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley picture

edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Anyone have any idea when this was taken?

Definitely looks like an air raid warden.

Comments

• Options
    During the war
  • Options
    During the war

:-)
  • Options
    Charlton v Arsenal  December 1940

It's the cover pic of "Soccer at War" by Jack Rollin.
  • Options
    Henry was there, so he knows.
  • Options
    Acutally I was in German prisoner of war camp from 1940 to 1942 so couldn't do many away games. Sorry Ooh Aah
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Acutally I was in German prisoner of war camp from 1940 to 1942 so couldn't do many away games. Sorry Ooh Aah

There's a great picture of Henry at Colditz

Well liked by the prisoners as he would get them anything for a packet of fags or some chocolate.

• Options
    I've told  you before, I was under cover
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I've told  you before, I was under cover
  • Options
    Ha ha, ;)
  • Options
    Best laugh I've had for days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im pretty certain that the south terrace the stadium warden in stood on was badly hit in 1941 as a result the main sewer that runs past the back of the Jimmy Seed stand today was fractured and is an issue should we ever redevelop that end of the ground. My grandad used to tell an amazing story of German Prisoners clearing snow from the pitch in 1947, they were still camped on blackheath at the time, they were given the far end of the East Terrace to watch the game as a reward, when the home support arrived in mass a very one sided snow ball fight ensued for most of the first half until most of the snow available was now back in in with the Germans!
  • Options
    Nice story, SE7 to somewhere else ......... but hadn't the Jerry POWs all gone home by 1947?
  • Options
    @Stonemuse where'd you get that pic?
  • Options

Oggy

400,000 German Pow's still in Uk in 1946

250,000 repatriated in 1947

so could easily be true

• Options
    My Grandad had German and Italian POWs working on his farm for a good few years after the war ended so it could be plausible.
  • Options
    Hi Oggy the camp was on Blackheath near to where the bandstand is now adays, it finally closed in late 47 and the game was around the same time, I beleive it was fairly relaxed by then as other relatives remember seeing some of them walking around the village in pairs, they found it strange given the devistation around Wemyss Road where the V2 landed, its still a bomb site/car park to day just opposite the sorting office. My nan said they were very polite....(SG3 is Sleepy Knebworth)

• Options
    Im pretty certain that the south terrace the stadium warden in stood on was badly hit in 1941 as a result the main sewer that runs past the back of the Jimmy Seed stand today was fractured and is an issue should we ever redevelop that end of the ground. My grandad used to tell an amazing story of German Prisoners clearing snow from the pitch in 1947, they were still camped on blackheath at the time, they were given the far end of the East Terrace to watch the game as a reward, when the home support arrived in mass a very one sided snow ball fight ensued for most of the first half until most of the snow available was now back in in with the Germans!

I think you'll find that it's The East Terrace where the problem with the sewer is/was.

I understand that it's no longer a problem because we have somehow or another built the East Stand in such away as not to interfere with it, even if we put a second tier up.

I'm no expert of course but one must assume that the sewer lies further back from the rear of where the stand now is.

• Options
    i have a moth eaten old book somewhere about CAFC which is probably more than 50 years old which was my Dads.It has a picture in it of POWs clearing the Valley pitch of snow.
  • Options
    Were any wearing cardigans?
  • Options

I think you'll find that it's The East Terrace where the problem with the sewer is/was.

I understand that it's no longer a problem because we have somehow or another built the East Stand in such away as not to interfere with it, even if we put a second tier up.

I'm no expert of course but one must assume that the sewer lies further back from the rear of where the stand now is.

I always believed the pipe runs to the front of the East Stand below the raised concrete pathway, which is why its so high on that side of the pitch?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't own it ... Found it online.
  • Options

Don't own it ... Found it online.
    Can be bought from ebay
  • Options
    Hi SG3, Harry Gregory (boyhood legend!) and all ....... I must admit I had no idea Britain did not release POWs for so long, so happy to be corrected.

Why was that ......... fearing Germany would fight a guerrilla war if the POWs were repatriated too soon or because they were a cheap labour force?

Most of them would have families at home desparate to be re-united.