Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watching old videos (continued): Melrose & Lineker.

Still ploughing through them, transferring them to disc and today came across an a snippet from an old Match of the Day. It is an F.A Cup tie between Leicester City and Shrewsbury Town and has a young Jim Melrose up front alongside Gary Lineker: they both create goals for each other in a 4 - 2 win, with the Leicester 'keeper's jersey changing hands four times during the game. I wondered if the Melrose fan club on here would be interester in seeing this, if so I'll get JiMMy85 to upload it sometime. I don't know why it got taped or how it's survived especially as I don't think we even had a video in 1981. One of life's mysteries!

Comments

• I remember when they both played for Leicester along with a player called Steve Lynex(I think)and they absolutely slaughtered us at the Valley 4.1 back in the 80`s. Nobody knew at the time just how good Lineker would become!
  • Yes, Lynex is playing in this game too. I think he went to Wolves, as did Melrose.
  • 1982. Leicester won five two
  • Miss proper moustaches and beards in football.  Says in wiki he took over the goalies shirt sometimes.
  • March....that was an FA Cup quarter final from 1982. Mark Wallington (Leicester goalie) got a bash on the bonce and played on for a while with concussion. I was at QPR v Crystal Palace in one of the other quarters that day. I can't remember who Spurs and WBA beat in their quarter finals.
  • Quite right Simmo: Wallington was replaced by the sub. 'keeper, Young, who also got a bang on the bonce and an outfield player took over (didn't catch the name- dodgy sound) but then Young came back and took over in goal again. Whilst all that was going on Jim and the boy Lineker were busy up front.
  • Lynex was a player who always  scored against Charlton