Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The English Language

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Just come back on holiday
from Dominican Republic, would recommend this to anyone, anyone been to
Dom Rep or anywhere in the Carribean???

Whilist I was out there
in our hotel we had so many different nationalities from the likes of
Germany, Holland, France and Russia and they all seem capable of
speaking the English language. I managed to get to know a few european's
and one of them stated they support Newcastle. Well at least they did not say Palace lol

Why
is it that we seem to be lazy in learning other languages and relying
on the rest to speak the English language, what is it they are doing
that we can't seem to do over here? I know that the English language is
well known but surely we should do more to learn other languages???

Comments

• Options
    So if your from outside the UK and you get a choice of another llanguage what do you choose ? 2nd languages is going to be English

If your from the UK what do you choose ? French ?  German, Spainish, Mandarin, Urdu  what ? as we are in the EU what should be taught in schools.
  • Options
    Russian
  • Options
    round here it should be Somali !
  • Options

Languages are a simple tricky thing if you get my drift. Most of us learn our mother tongue without even thinking about it. So on one the hand it's child's play, but on the other learning a new language, especially from a distance so to speak, is pretty difficult.

My son is lucky in that in our household he had a different mother tongue to English, but grew up here, in an English speaking environment, and acquired the language automatically.

As a result of being bilingual it has helped him to acquire other languages pretty well, and generally helped with his overall learning and intelligence. I also think speaking more than one language has helped him to be pretty good musically.

Loads of people ask what the point is of learning/doing another language given everybody speaks English. I wouldn't be so sure; they say that this century will be the Oriental/Chinese century, and maybe English is on the way to being as quaint as Latin.

• Options
    Im out the Basil Fawlty school.....
  • Options

As a result of being bilingual it has helped him to acquire other languages pretty well, and generally helped with his overall learning and intelligence. I also think speaking more than one language has helped him to be pretty good musically.

I think there is so much in this.  Traditionally people have been encouraged to be very singular in choosing academic disciplines, but there's a fair bit of evidence that increased understanding/ability in one area helps with other areas that are normally thought to be quite separate.  
  • Options

The rest of the world learns English, because it is relatively easy (no male/female nonsense), because it is the language of business (and will continue to be so, forget the idea that one of the languages spoken in China or Asia is going to take over, ain't gonna happen). A form of it is spoken by the most powerful country in the world. It's the language of pop music, as Italian is to opera, so the world hears it all the time. As GH said, what language should we learn?

In Portugal all English language TV shows and films are subtitled, so again, they are subjected to it all the time. It makes it so much easier to pick up a language when you can hear it in English and read it in your own language.

I learnt French at school, and I am pleased that I did, and when in France I find it does not take long for it to come back. It also helps a little with Portuguese, but I don't criticise anyone who doesn't speak another tongue, it's up to them but I do think they are missing out.  

• Options
    It is such a colossal language in terms of its global spread that it really isn't surprising that most countries learn English as a second language.

I traveled extensively across Europe in business a while back. All business meetings were conducted in English despite being made up of Danes, Dutch, Poles, Finns, Swedes, French, German, Spanish and Italian colleagues.

I remember a conversation with some Finnish business associates when I remarked at how good was their English. I remarked upon my lack of multilingual skills and they said that as Finns, their language is very difficult to learn and only spoken by a very small number of people compared to English. That made it imperative that they learn it.
  • Options
    I've never thought that English being a widely spoken language was much of an excuse for our education system failing to effectively teach us another one.
  • Options
    Also, in other countries the learn foreign languages at an earlier age. Perhaps if we started doing this, when our minds are more susceptible, we'd be better at it. As said above, being multilingual helps with other learning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone at my school was given the opportunity to learn French or German. That may well have not been the case everywhere, I appreciate that, but if there were those that chose not to, it wasn't the school's fault. 
  • Options
    "I've never thought that English being a widely spoken language was much of an excuse for our education system failing to effectively teach us another one."

Well seeing that at one time half the bloody globe was under British control I am somewhat puzzled that you would think this. It is the one global language I agree that other language skills are useful and certainly in parts of the world an understanding of French or Spanish will be very useful but without doubt there are more people willing and able to speak our language than ever before and in my opinion that change has been rapidly accelerated by the Inernet.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say the English language is relatively easy to learn. What with articles, prepositions,modals and all of the tenses it is a complex language. Especially when you take into account that many countries only have 3 tenses. In the UK we are given the choice to learn another language. Here on mainland Europe it is compulsory to learn a second language and this begins in primary school.
  • Options
    Oh, by the way not many English can speak their own language correctly including me!! Always getting corrected by the wife, especially this southern habit of using done instead of did.
  • Options
    Try leaning Thai !!!
  • Options
    Nah, I'm English and can't be arsed :-)
  • Options
    innit tho blud.
  • Options
     Everyone should just speak the same language.
  • Options
    Yeah who cares about countries and their history/traditions.

Over here in China the kids learn to read and write English from a very young age, however they don't do any speaking/listening unless they come to a private school. However the education over here is kind of mental, I have students who go to school at 6:30am, finish at 9pm and then have 3 hours or so of homework, to make it worse when the weekends arrive their parents make them come to the school I work at. It's crazy. I tell them I started school at 9am and finished at 3pm you can almost see their hearts break :/
  • Options
    WelI am only going on what I am told by foreigners sralan, plus I think that the British are very good at understanding broken English - I have found that in France if you get one word in a sentence slightly wrong they don't understand you (or pretend not to). If a foreigner in London asks me "Where are bridge tower?" I know what he means. My own experience in Portugal is that they are totally incapable of slowing their speech down to give me a better chance of understanding them, something I think we do very well when talking to someone whose second language is English.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah who cares about countries and their history/traditions.

Over here in China the kids learn to read and write English from a very young age, however they don't do any speaking/listening unless they come to a private school. However the education over here is kind of mental, I have students who go to school at 6:30am, finish at 9pm and then have 3 hours or so of homework, to make it worse when the weekends arrive their parents make them come to the school I work at. It's crazy. I tell them I started school at 9am and finished at 3pm you can almost see their hearts break :/
    That's just wong.
  • Options
    Our whole education system is utterly crap at teaching foreign languages. We start our children far too late (I think I was 10 years old before we even did rudimentary French in school) and we teach 'proper' use of the language as opposed to conversational. Knowing how to conjugate an obscure French verb is all well and good but does sod all when I need to know if there is a late night pharmacy nearby! Most other developed countries speak at least two languages yet I seriously doubt that most school leavers in England could carry out a conversation with a native speaker of the language that they have 'studied'.
  • Options
    ALGARVEADDICK..... yes, you are right. We English have the ability to grasp what foreigners are trying to say unlike in some countries. The French are just the French and are renown for being totally unhelpful and while I was living and working in Slovakia I tried to learn the language but gave up in the end owing to peoples inability to comprehend what I was trying to say, even though I may have got one word wrong in the sentence and the rest correct or a mispronunciation with one word.Just got a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders.
    Everyone should just speak the same language............as long as it's English;-)
    Whatever happened to Esperanto?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ALGARVEADDICK..... yes, you are right. We English have the ability to grasp what foreigners are trying to say unlike in some countries. The French are just the French and are renown for being totally unhelpful and while I was living and working in Slovakia I tried to learn the language but gave up in the end owing to peoples inability to comprehend what I was trying to say, even though I may have got one word wrong in the sentence and the rest correct or a mispronunciation with one word.Just got a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders.
    Everyone should just speak the same language............as long as it's English;-)

Whatever happened to Esperanto?

Esperanto estas OK sed sonoro stulta kiam vi paroli.

I'm more of a Volapük man myself.

• Options
    I prefer Interlingua: easier and latin / romance languages based. Try it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Stu, would you agree that in terms of grammar Mandarin is far easier than English?
  • Options
    I think that Inglish wil becum the tru world langwij, but spelt foneticaly.
  • Options
    wun tru ame
  • Options
    I've never thought that English being a widely spoken language was much of an excuse for our education system failing to effectively teach us another one.
    Its a fact of life and to a great extent cultural, our language is also massively acquisitive.

Its success as a world language stems from its ability to add loan words and phrases from cultures around the world. Unlike the academic French for example who devote their time keeping French pure.

Our language does have foibles but compared to say its Germanic roots its much easier to learn.

I just think that we have a remarkable language and it surprises me not one bit that because of the supremacy of English as a spoken language throughout the world, we don't have a culture of learning other languages.

• Options
    When we had the first state visit of the Prem of China he stayed at our hotel and Buck Palace. We brought 3 ladies over on reception from our sister hotel in Hong Kong only thing was one group spoke Cantonese and the other Mandarin !! lucky that both spoke English. Strangest was that the official party refused to speak to the female receptionists at all ! probably something to do with the hand over of HK.