Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Venice

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
I'm heading there on Thursday for a few days and never been before...any tips on what not to see. Should I get the Venicecard?

Comments

• Options
    We spent 3 nights in Venice a couple of years ago and found it was not enough time so don't worry about what not to see, be prepared to pay over the odds for food, drink & coffee's but as for the rest of enjoy! 
  • Options
    Was there last year.
    Prices are a nightmare, as Mike says, and I also found the hotel and service type staff kind of surly.

Nice scenery, love the water taxis, but not sure I would bother again.
  • Options
    The last time I went the whole place was flooded.......
  • Options
    lido is worth a look. although wen i went it was hot.... decent beach!
  • Options

If you can afford it - get a river taxi from the airport and arrive in style. About 100 Euros but well worth it - I've never felt so Italian in all my life!

• Options

My mum came from near Venice so over the years I've seen the place change. True Venetians have largely left and what remains appears at first sight to be tourist traps scavenging and scamming unsuspecting tourists.

Do the sights for they are worth seeing and yes the Venice card will save you money. Arrive very early in the morning and when the US  cruise ships spill their brash human cargo into St Marks square, beat a hasty exit. take a good map, a vaporetto pass, then just walk and lose yourself in the bewilderment of  tiny streets. Eat where the locals eat, buy food at one of the many local deli type shops and then maybe you too will fall in love with Venice. Enjoy.

• Options

It is of course full of tourist traps, but they key is to avoid the main drags, especially the main routes from station to St Marks Sq via Rialto. You'll probably still want to see these places, but best to encounter them in your own way/time/direction and not simply following the crowds past tacky shops.

Unless you're very keen on the gondola experience, take trip on a little traghetto - gondala-style ferries that hop across some of the smaller canals for 1-2 Euros - much cheaper and no rubbish singing.  Water taxi (see earlier post) a great idea, the regular bus in from the airport not a bad alternative.

Wander over to areas like Cannaregio & (especially) Dorsoduro where you find places which locals frequent.  Boat trips to Lido and also Burano well worth doing if the weather is good. 

For all its obvious drwabacks it's a wonderful place if you get away from the crowds and for me, somewhere everyone should experience at least once in their lives.

• Options
    Thanks all. I'm hoping that this time of year it will be less busier in terms of tourist numbers.
  • Options
    Well you should avoid the smell of sewage at this time of year, so that's a plus.
  • Options
    My Italian colleagues insiist that this is the best time of year to visit Venice, less crowded, not so hot and the city apparently is more beautiful in the Autumn/early winter light. Take plenty of money as it's expensive but enjoy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a rip-off tourist trap. FACT.

But it is completely different from anywhere else that I've experienced.
    It has character, history and culture  - and you'll be glad you went.

And as others have said, the autumn is often a good time of year to be there.
    Just prepare to come home with an empty wallet and a shagged out credit card.
  • Options
    This is a fantastic time of year to go.  Just walk and walk and walk and be prepared to get lost, then you'll see the real Venice. 

Burano and Torcelli are lovely islands to visit - but would require a full day by water bus (vaporetto) - would make the most of your Venice card!

Make sure you enjoy a "spritz" aperitif at about 5/6pm - try one of the little corner shops away from tourist areas where you just stand at the counter and it only costs a few euro.  In areas like Canareggio you'll also find local bars that serve lots of snacks - can be really tasty and not at all expensive.

Look down wee back streets for places to eat and drink - they are there and much more authentic.

I hope you love it.