Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth in trouble again

Comments

• Options
    razPil said:

Could have sworn we were liable to pay interest on the 15m if we reached the Championship, repayments if we reached the Prem

that was the arrangement with the old board in the dire era per SCP?
  • Options

What would Darwin have to say about all this?

'ere, have a butchers at this dirty great tortoise.
  • Options
    The Portsmouth administrator has said Kanu is claiming 3 million in back pay and the club may not exist in three weeks time.
  • Options
    The worse thing of all about all this is that Portsmouth have gained absolutely nothing from their adventure - one that looks like maybe costing them their club.

Okay, their name is on the FA Cup again, and they had some great European nights, I would love Millwall's name to be on the list of FA Cup winners, more than promotion to the Premier League....but not at the cost of losing the club that has been in my family 5 generations now.

They did't invest any of that money into the infrastructure of the club, they still play in their charismatic, but dilapidated stadium and have no decent training facilities or academy.

And any new fans they picked up will be lost as they plunge towards oblivion.

Compare this to your adventure in the PL and what you got out of it - an improved stadium, facilities and an extra 10,000 regular fans - and it must be sickening to the average Pompey fan. Especially as their arch rivals are about to big it up in the PL, in a modern, if boring, stadium and with a great academy and 30,000 crowds.
  • Options
    Yes, Portsmouth have very little to attract a buyer, either on or off the pitch, other than a committed fan base. If they had to start again, you can see them doing an AFC Wimbledon and quickly rising up the leagues though.
  • Options
    great post Bunny, spot on.
  • Options

great post Bunny, spot on.

Indeed, Large. Lessons to be learned...

Feel SO sorry for those innocent fans.

• Options
    I do feel sorry for their fans, but it is unbelievable how they are still in business. I remember when they went into admin back in the PL to years ago and it looked absolutely certain that they were going to the wall. Yet they are still here, somehow?
  • Options
    I'm still struggling to understand Tal Ben Haim getting £36k a week

I can't fathom why he doesn't just hold his hands up and say "OK - we'll call it a day now". He could be about to bankrupt a football club. (Admittedly he's not the sole cause but he is a large contributing factor)
  • Options
    Hmmmm, looking at that list of players I would not mind trying to get hold of Dave Kitson, he's a very useful striker at this level and Lawrence is a tidy winger too, but we are well set there.

As for Pompey, I get the feeling that the damage is just too great and they will have to start again at the bottom of the pyramid a la FC Wimbledon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

razPil said:

Could have sworn we were liable to pay interest on the 15m if we reached the Championship, repayments if we reached the Prem

that was the arrangement with the old board in the dire era per SCP?
    my memory of it was deffo the restructure for Baton the vehicle for selling the club - was no payments below the champs, interest only in the champs, repayments in the prem. Happy to be proved wrong.

I wonder how much our debt makes us unable to break even at this level or is it not the most significant number here?
  • Options
    They've just been smashed 4-0 in a pre season friendly with Gibraltar...
  • Options
    Not surprised seeing as they only have about 7 players!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Not surprised seeing as they only have about 7 players!

but Izale McLeod is training with them !!

• Options
    I think the whole problem with the Pompe players that they still have is that nobody wants them because they're on such stupid wages. I'd take Kitson or Lawrence any day of the week, but not on their salary.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I can't fathom why he doesn't just hold his hands up and say "OK - we'll call it a day now". He could be about to bankrupt a football club. (Admittedly he's not the sole cause but he is a large contributing factor)

Money's money and at that stage of his career it's one last pay day I would imagine and something he doesn't want to give up
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Swisdom said:

Money's money and at that stage of his career it's one last pay day I would imagine and
    something he doesn't want to give up
    That is true,but if I was on that money and the club is going under would you want it on your conscience?
  • Options

I think the whole problem with the Pompe players that they still have is that nobody wants them because they're on such stupid wages. I'd take Kitson or Lawrence any day of the week, but not on their salary.

this. If they don't get rid of them soon they are screwed. If the players hang on though and Pompey go into liquidation won't they be screwed as well. Ok, they will get a free transfer but won't get the wages will they?

• Options

this. If they don't get rid of them soon they are screwed. If the players hang on though and Pompey go into liquidation won't they be screwed as well. Ok, they will get a free transfer but won't get the wages will they?

No, BUT if Kanu is demanding 3mill and if my waving of payment didn't make that much of a difference I would take the money.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

No, BUT if Kanu is demanding 3mill and if my waving of payment didn't make that much of a difference I would take the money.
    I'm sure the players see it in a similar way to neutral fans. Club overspends, goes into admin, debts get written off, club comes out of admin, club overspends etc. If I was the player I'd want the money written into my contract, a share in the ownership of the club or some kind of guarantee that if the club survived i would get paid at a later date.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder what good ole Harry thinks of what's going on at Pompey? I imagine in his mind it's absolutely nothing to do with him.
  • Options
    Harry left in 2008, I am not a great fan of his but the club has been in and out of administration since then and carried on in exactly the same way surely what is happening now isn't Harry's fault he didn't sign Ben Haim on 36k a week and many others on wages they couldn't hope to afford.
  • Options
    Surely by the 8 contracted players saying they still want their cash it will eventually back fire anyway as the club will cease to be and they won't get another penny anyway......right?
  • Options

Harry left in 2008, I am not a great fan of his but the club has been in and out of administration since then and carried on in exactly the same way surely what is happening now isn't Harry's fault he didn't sign Ben Haim on 36k a week and many others on wages they couldn't hope to afford.

All very true but he was there at the start of it all wasn't he? It was Harry that signed the likes of John Utaka for £m's and gave him a contract for £80k a week. Utaka for crivens sake!!!

Once you go down that road the whole thing spirals out of control and only now does it seemed to have reached a point where they have to start again on the playing staff front, who have largely been exempt from the effects of what has gone on.

Kanu was also a Redknapp signing & that hasn't exactly ended well either...
  • Options

All very true but he was there at the start of it all wasn't he? It was Harry that signed the likes of John Utaka for £m's and gave him a contract for £80k a week. Utaka for crivens sake!!!

Once you go down that road the whole thing spirals out of control and only now does it seemed to have reached a point where they have to start again on the playing staff front, who have largely been exempt from the effects of what has gone on.

Maybe a bit harsh on Harry. It's not as if he's ever been involved with any other clubs that had money problems like Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham.... Oh! hang on......

• Options
    Swisdom said:

When did he get that contract?

Must have been a long term contract from the Premiership era.

I doubt he cares about what happens to Pompey but too dim to work out he won't get ANYTHING if they go bust.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

I agree and I loathe Harry Redknapp, but was it really all his fault that Utaka was on 80k a week ?? It's not as if Harry would be negotiating contracts would he?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

When did he get that contract?

Must have been a long term contract from the Premiership era.

I doubt he cares about what happens to Pompey but too dim to work out he won't get ANYTHING if they go bust.
    Or clever enough to realise that this is just spin by the Administrators.

They use the same bulls**t on creditors when they ask for a CVA. The difference being that players can't be shafted if the club goes into administration. The only threat they have left is liquidation so, surprise surprise, they are 'advising' players that they can have a fraction of what they were promised or they can get nothing as the club will be liquidated.

I have little sympathy for the players that earn a fortune, but if they have contracts then they are well within their rights to be paid what their contracts say.
  • Options
    How can anybody have sympathy of those players who are the ones that could put Portsmouth into Liquidation. If anything the fans deserve the sympathy more than anybody else. Plymouth's players sacrified their wages to keep Plymouth going, it's these players who deserve a lot of credit.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

How can anybody have sympathy of those players who are the ones that could put Portsmouth into Liquidation. If anything the fans deserve the sympathy more than anybody else. Plymouth's players sacrified their wages to keep Plymouth going, it's these players who deserve a lot of credit.

What have the players done wrong? contract put infront of them and they've signed it.