Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just 2 minutes of your time...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kerry, you express a perfectly well reasoned view - I just disagree. Wind cannot be the only source for the reasons you say. It can though provide say 15-20% of energy needs provided that when it doesn't blow, other energy sources cut in. 

As you know with Hydro, it is used to store potential energy by pumping water up to the reservoir which can then be used when demand dictates. I cannot help thinking that wind will feed into this kind of model.

As for wave, there is now a pilot scheme about to go ahead. Really does need some major push to get it to a decent level.

As I mentioned earlier fracking will almost certainly become widespread to release untapped gas reserves. I don't like it but I can see its potential when other fossil reserves become run down.
  • Options
    erm, not sure mate, the ones they put on the roof and are giving away for free at the moment!
    They are the photo electric cells.They are OK but I don't think they are going to replace in any substantial way, the other energy generating schemes. Also the Govt is cutting the feed in tariffs which made them a viable proposition.
  • Options
    Bing, I agre we should disagree, but i wil say it's a bloody interesting subject, which if I was just starting out in a career rather than being an old fart then I think I would get into it in a big way. Good luck Benson with your exam.
  • Options
    Done mate good luck
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Unfortunately this is one of several subjects about which I would like to be better informed, but I did my best. I hope it wasn't just a lot of hot air !
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done. All for renewable energy, but a friend who is involved in building wind farms off the Essex coast tells me that at the moment they will never recover the cost of building them within their operating lifetime. Not what I wanted to hear, but as technology develops I am sure this situation will change.
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    Done and good luck
  • Options
    Completed...
  • Options

Done.

I would just mention, if it is of interest, that I have deliberately not answered (rather than ignored) some questions as none of the options reflect my views.

I appreciate though that for GCSE you are under pressure to reflect a particular school of thought in your research so feel free to ignore if necessary!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I've had a go at it, but not sure I could really express my opinions.  Research into renewable energy is very important, but the problem at the moment is that the Gov has signed up to targets that it can only reach by paying massive subsidies to inefficient technology like wind power.  This means sources which could in the long run be much cheaper, far more efficient and far less destructive to the natural environment, such as tidal and geothermal, have not got proper research investment behind them.  Wind energy will turn out to be a huge white elephant - it simply does not work - but by the time the Gov wakes up to this, we will have destroyed much of the countryside and coastal landscapes with industrial development.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys! Got over 125 results now which is amazing for one nights work!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done