Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colin our unsung hero

Just thought that at this time of justifiable euphoria we should give loads of credit to Colin Powell and his staff for producing so consistently a wonderful playing surface which no doubt he himself would have loved to play, on as opposed to the mud heaps that were around during his time.

Comments

• Options
    Good point.  However, the challenge will be over the winter - a good playing surface will definitely be to our advantage.  He's done very well so far!
  • Options
    Thought you meant Mr Warnock for letting us borrow  Hogan
  • Options

Respect.......

• Options

The greater applause should go to the team who produce brilliant pitches at the training ground which are in use every day. Colin only has to get the pitch looking good after 90 minutes once a fortnight!

• Options

Respect.......

Does he mow the lawn in that suit?
  • Options

The greater applause should go to the team who produce brilliant pitches at the training ground which are in use every day. Colin only has to get the pitch looking good after 90 minutes once a fortnight!

I believe Colin and his team are responsible for that pitch also. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Not really, Colin is only ever based at the ground, another team are based at the training ground. The training ground boys then help out on match days.
  • Options
    Not really, Colin is only ever based at the ground, another team are based at the training ground. The training ground boys then help out on match days.
    are you sure?
  • Options
    Pretty sure. They are one 'team' in that they are the ground staff but Colin doesn't go to the TG and the others only go the Valley on matchdays. With the exception of sick etc of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What, they won't go if somebody's been sick? No offence but i would be surprised if you're right and would say Colin Powell oversees all of it.
  • Options
    I said with the exception of sickness, as in they don't go from one to the other unless someone is sick.
  • Options
    I said with the exception of sickness, as in they don't go from one to the other unless someone is sick.
    I know.
  • Options
    are you sure?
    There used to be two 'teams' when my old man was groundsman at Sparrows Lane. That was a long time ago, though.
  • Options
    I have to say the state of the Valley pitch all season roundimpresses me when you compare it to the state of some of the Premiership pitches come the winter xx
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Colin Powell is involved with the pitches at Sparrows Lane aswell.
  • Options
    Was thinking how good it looked before the Huddersfield match
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you ever noticed the way he glares at people for just walking on the grass. Presentations, mascots, opera sigers all get the treatment: I think it must really hurt when games  actually played on it.
  • Options
    My absolute hero and all-time favourite player...and still as good on our pitch now!
  • Options
    He does a great job. From memory ie when he was playing for us (great player) we have always had a good pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes. For the younger ones on here, Paddy Powell was some player and a nice bloke to boot.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Paddy Powell was some player and a nice bloke to boot.
    If he is a nice bloke, why would you want to boot him???
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    He was indeed an excellent winger and one of my favourites as a boy.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Colin.

I went to The Valley today to buy the new shirt and out of interest went to the main reception to enquire whether the club do any tours of the stadium. I was informed that the club only conduct tours on special occasions, the last being Father's Day in June. However, one staff member offered to show me the stadium from pitch side so I greatfully accepted. Normally I sit in the North Upper, or North East if I am with my young sons, so to see the pitch and the home end from an away perspective was great. The pitch looks in great condition. I had a quick chat with Colin who took me onto the Valley turf and quite happily had a photo with me on the pitch. Thank you Colin and the staff at Charlton for allowing me to have an impromptu visit. It is moments like that, where staff go out of their way to help the fans, that make the club so special.