Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton Photos (Help)

2»

Comments

• Options
    In picture B the player on the left looks like John Sewell.

It most certainly is.

The big mystery for me is the keeper in B.....it can't be anyone else than Wakeman, cos it sure aint Duff, Reed or Hewie.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I know this is a long shot but I reckon the opposition in B) could be Chelsea and the number 8 possibly Bobby Tambling. If so maybe some programme collectors could turn up the editions for the league and cup game we played at home against them in the pre red epaulettes season of 1962/3 and see who was in goal. Sewell, Hinton, Hewie and Wakeham were all on the books that season.
  • Options

I think picture C is Johnny Evans who we sold to Liverpool.
    The player in the middle looks like Charlie Vaughan.

This. Ignore what I posted earlier, this looks a year earlier 52/53 as that is Vaughan in the centre and probably Hurst on the far side.
  • Options
    I know it's the East Terrace, just thought some of you might like it!
    Some of us might be in it!
    Exactly what I was thinking Len.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Just found this on the net re B) Tambling was number 8 that day for Chelsea so the keeper was Wakeham...... unless he went off injured and Hewie took the gloves!

Charlton Athletic 1 (1) Chelsea 4 (0)
    Date: Saturday, 22nd December 1962
    Competition: Football League Division 2     Position 1
    Scorers: Harris (O.G) 43;     RV.Tambling 60, RV.Tambling 70, RV.Tambling 4th, RV.Tambling 90 (Pen)
    Venue: The Valley
    Attendance: 21,297
    Charlton Athletic Wakeham, Sewell, Stocks, Tocknell, Hinton, Hewie, Kenning, Glover, Matthews, Edwards, Kinsey
    Chelsea 1 PP.Bonetti, 2 K.Shellito, 3 AJ.Harris, 4 TF.Venables, 5 JA.Mortimore, 6 F.Upton, 7 AG.Murray, 8 RV.Tambling, 9 BJ.Bridges, 10 G.Moore, 11 F.Blunstone
    Referee: Rex V Spittle (Great Yarmouth)
    Sorry Stig still inconclusive, where's Colin Cameron when you need him?
  • Options
    Deadred, definitely Hewie IMO.
    Att. 21,307
    Ref  RV Spittle
    Scorers Charlton A Harris OG
    Chelsea Tambling scored all four inc. a penalty

Thanks to Colin Cameron's Home & Away book for these stats
  • Options
    Peter Wakeham was a big hero of mine in my early days at the Valley and I used to stand right behind the covered end goal so sure as I can be that it's Long John Hewie.
  • Options
    D may not be a Charlton player - looks like he's not wearing white kit (look at the guy behind, those shorts are white).  So it might be the old Wolves centre half Ron Flowers - mid 60s they played in an all-gold strip

D does look like the Wolves kit
    I only ever saw Wolves wear black shorts when they wore the gold shirts.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The 'keeper in B has bugged me so I've looked up Peter Wakeham!

I'm not clever enough to post the picture but hopefully this link will show his image. Top left if it works!

I reckon it's the same bloke in photo B
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A nice rear view of Oggy in his cap which used to appear in Echoes Across The Valley

:-)

To be serious if you enlarge this it's a really good photo of the old Valley East Bank. You can see the peanut sellers in their white coats.
  • Options
    A nice rear view of Oggy in his cap which used to appear in Echoes Across The Valley

• Options

Stig, this is going to really annoy me if you keep finding good stuff in that bag I sold you for a pittance : - )

Glad you are enjoying them and thanks again for the cash.  keep posting any other good stuff you find.

• Options

Stig, this is going to really annoy me if you keep finding good stuff in that bag I sold you for a pittance : - )

Glad you are enjoying them and thanks again for the cash.  keep posting any other good stuff you find.

If anyone's interested, there's other photos that are titled.  I could post them as a quiz.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If anyone's interested, there's other photos that are titled.  I could post them as a quiz.

Go on, post them as a quiz.  I'm too young to get any right but the oldies will enjoy : - )

Did you find the signed colour photos?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That would be great for the old guard Stig but can we sort out photo D) first. The player half hidden thinning on top  looks as if he is in a West Ham or Burnley kit dark body and light blue sleeves Pop Robson or Ralph Coates maybe? Centre half No5 all white kit? not a young Jackie Charlton is it? The ref looks like the Russian linesman in the 1966 world cup.............don't ask me how many are in the crowd though ha ha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Henry said:  Did you find the signed colour photos?

I certainly did, thank you very much :-)
  • Options
    I know it's the East Terrace, just thought some of you might like it!
    Some of us might be in it!
    Exactly what I was thinking Len.
    Just got this email - I know a lot of you will know or at least recognise Jean

"
    Hi Ben,
     Just checking on the discusions page Charlton Life & spotted the photo
    provided by Friend Or Defoe, of the vast East Terrace, the game was the FA cup
    5th round 1947 versus Blackburn Rovers, we won, the young girl at the
    front, wearing headscarf & wrinkled stockings was me, I had been lifted over
    the heads of the fans to the front, & was terrified cos I could not see my
    Dad. It was my third game. it was a bit of a shock seeing that.
    Good win Monday night, long may it last.

Cheers
    Jean Tindell  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great post above!

re picture D

Its the wrong colour shirt and wrong number but he has all the bearing of a Bobby Moore  
  • Options

To be serious if you enlarge this it's a really good photo of the old Valley East Bank. You can see the peanut sellers in their white coats.
    I've never stood on the old West bank, so not me.
    Try again?

;o)
  • Options
    Thanks very much to everyone for helping out on this.   This is what I gleaned so far from your posts:

A) Lennie Glover (Far background), Roy Matthews (Middleground) Eddie Firmani (Heading)

B) Dennis Edwards (on left obscured) John Sewell (on left facing forward), Marvin Hinton (on right facing forward), Peter Wakeham (GK falling backwards), Tambling (Chelsea number 8)

C) Derek Ufton or Sid O'Linn or a young Eddie Firmani or Bobby Ayres or Johnny Evans with Charlie Vaughan in background.  Possibly versus Sunderland.

D) Paul Went or Wolves' Ron Flowers or West Ham's Bobby Moore.

E) Ron Saunders