Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Daily M/Fail - Doesn't like Leaburn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2068295/Fernando-Torres-10-Premier-League-flops.html

Bit harsh i think, and i swear i never saw Gary Birtles, Alan Brazil, Juventus and Rodney Marsh in the Premier League.

Awful bit of Journalism again from the Fail.

Comments

• Options
    Thought what he said about Leaburn was pretty acurate...........a good footballer and honest to goodness grafter but a unfortunately a pizz poor striker.
  • Options
    But not one of the worst to grace the prem, especially as he was talking fees aswell.

I could name so many flops worse than Leaburn who cost Wimbledon £300,000
  • Options
    When you think of some of the tossers who have been paid a fortune for naff all, at least Carlo tried his gonads off everygame. He created space and was always a pain in back side for defenders.     Jeffers---Marcus Bent ?   id rather have Carlo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to go that far back Goonerhater Pawel Abbott? Oh he never played premiership ..............never mind he still wasn't very good.
  • Options
    Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabuuuuuuuuurnnnnn! Was the sportsmail reporter too busy hacking phones to get his facts right? If they can't get that right what chance have they got in the rest of the paper!
  • Options
    Not often Leaburn and Rodney Marsh are mentioned in the same breath though...
  • Options
    They can sod off.  Leave big Carl alone!

However good he was - I loved him and thinking back to watching him just makes me smile.
  • Options
    Most of these were players who scored lots of goals at other clubs but flopped after a big money move. Wimbledon didn't pay a lot for him and knew exactly what they were getting. Very strange inclusion.
  • Options

Actually I rather like it. How often do we complain that Charlton get completely over-looked in the main-stream press? They even state that he wasn't there to score goals and did well in assists.

You can't have it both ways, we either want the recognition or we don't.

• Options
    he was dreadful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They can sod off.  Leave big Carl alone!

However good he was - I loved him and thinking back to watching him just makes me smile.
    buy that man a drink ! Carlo tried his heart for our team ,a great character ,i loved him too

crap journalism ...
  • Options
    I was one of his biggest critics & thought one of the reasons we got promoted via the play-offs was that he left earlier that year - however, I changed my opinion once I viewed a recent DVD highlighting our goal through the years and noticed just how many he scored with his head........although I do conceed he was useless with the ball at his feet (apart from holding the ball up) and still gives me nightmares thinking about his penalty for his hat trick at ipswich !!
  • Options
    Loved Leaburn. Hate The Daily Mail.
  • Options

What is it with Lefty posters on here and their continuous swipes at the Daily Mail !?

In terms of Leaburn, What they said is accurate imo...Was a shit goalscorer but worked hard for the team.

• Options

What is it with Lefty posters on here and their continuous swipes at the Daily Mail !?

In terms of Leaburn, What they said is accurate imo...Was a shit goalscorer but worked hard for the team.

I'm no way a lefty SE10 as you put it.

But comparing Leaburn with Torres is a crap bit of journalism.
  • Options
    I was one of his biggest critics & thought one of the reasons we got promoted via the play-offs was that he left earlier that year - however, I changed my opinion once I viewed a recent DVD highlighting our goal through the years and noticed just how many he scored with his head........although I do conceed he was useless with the ball at his feet (apart from holding the ball up) and still gives me nightmares thinking about his penalty for his hat trick at ipswich !!
    No, you were right first time.  Big reason we went up was Mark Bright up top with Mendonca.  Scored more goals and a much better all round player.

Would never fault Leaburn's effort or commitment.
  • Options

You're missing the point if you call it journalism. It's a top ten of strikers who have spectacularly under performed. As SE10's says, its an accurate assessment!
  • Options

You're missing the point if you call it journalism. It's a top ten of strikers who have spectacularly under performed. As SE10's says, its an accurate assessment!
    Has Torres topped the lot? 10 Premier League strikers who missed the target

That is the title of story! So they are comparing 10 other premier league strikers that didnt score as many as they should have. It even has players in the 10 that never played in the Premier League!!

They include Leaburn when he cost 300k and wasnt known as a prolific striker like Torres.

Why didnt they include Lilian Laslandes (3.75m), Corrado Grabbi (6.75m) and Bosko Balaban (5.5m)??

So i'm not missing the point am i.

• Options

Has Torres topped the lot? 10 Premier League strikers who missed the target

That is the title of story! So they are comparing 10 other premier league strikers that didnt score as many as they should have. It even has players in the 10 that never played in the Premier League!!

They include Leaburn when he cost 300k and wasnt known as a prolific striker like Torres.

Why didnt they include Lilian Laslandes (3.75m), Corrado Grabbi (6.75m) and Bosko Balaban (5.5m)??

So i'm not missing the point am i.

It's a tongue in cheek dig at Torres. Journalism is reporting on a story is it not? Don't take it too literally. I'm sure if it was in whatever rag you read, you'd find it quite amusing.
  • Options
    haha when it includes Ian Rush etc then it isn't tongue in cheek. Lazy Journalism.

I read Daily Mail as i wouldn't have come across it otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    given that I am @leaburn on twitter I feel duty bound to respond.

Mr Leaburn drove me nuts on an almost weekly basis when he played for us-I saw him tackled by a corner flag at Brentford, score a deflected goal at Villa Park off Derek Mountfields boot and lift the Guinness Soccer 6 etc etc

But I recently watched some old games and I could not believe how often he linked up play bringing other players in and creating chances. I think that was his strength and I did not appreciate at the time.

I think I shall always remember him fondly

• Options
    A very good player.  I think he might have been a bit better appreciated had he been around today.  As has been said there have been numerous higher cost players (who actually played in the Premiership) who have been far more underwhelming. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

High quality newspaper - constructive, informative and impartial.
  • Options
    Oggy  i herd on TV that an "Oggy" is slang for a pastie ! is that right?

Going through old stuff i had left at my late mums house i found a pic of the Woolwich and District League team. Slattery is defo in it as well as your Dad (you maybe as well) im not in it which is weird as i did play ? played 3 times i think. Next time im working (if) and there is a scanner about ill send it to you  if you get your email to me.
  • Options
    Whether Leaburn was good or not, or what job he did for the side, the article was purported to list strikers who have underachieved in the premiership. I'd argue, as would many, that Leaburn didn't under achieve, he continued in the prem as he had a league lower for us.

Torres scored a load pre-injury, has under achieved since, some players have scored loads in other leagues or with other clubs and then under achieved in the prem. Leaburn was never a prolific striker, so how exactly did he under achieve?

So you have a story about under achieving premiership strikers where 4 of the 10 never played in the premiership and 1 didn't under achieve. If you think a 50% accuracy rate is good journalism, then by all means continue to give your money to the Daily Mail. I would suggest 50% accurate is probably typical of that particular rag, but I wouldn't want to be labelled a lefty just for pointing out the frequent failings of that particular rag.

• Options
    RA its easy on this forum:

If you say anything against those Gods of morality the Labour party your a bigot or a Daily Mail reader. On the other hand anyone who is left of Ghengis Khan is Guardian reader.Who should all be burnt on Blackheath ( opps better not say that or UNISON will bubble me to the OBill)
  • Options
    Oggy  i herd on TV that an "Oggy" is slang for a pastie ! is that right?

Going through old stuff i had left at my late mums house i found a pic of the Woolwich and District League team. Slattery is defo in it as well as your Dad (you maybe as well) im not in it which is weird as i did play ? played 3 times i think. Next time im working (if) and there is a scanner about ill send it to you  if you get your email to me.
    Yep, nail on head, GH ....."Oggy" is parlance down here in the Wet Country for Cornish Pasty.
    Hence my username!

I'd love to see the W & D team pic mate ......chance I'm in it, as I played several games at that time.
    I'll send you my email addy via inbox or PM or whatever!
  • Options
    Whether Leaburn was good or not, or what job he did for the side, the article was purported to list strikers who have underachieved in the premiership. I'd argue, as would many, that Leaburn didn't under achieve, he continued in the prem as he had a league lower for us.

Torres scored a load pre-injury, has under achieved since, some players have scored loads in other leagues or with other clubs and then under achieved in the prem. Leaburn was never a prolific striker, so how exactly did he under achieve?

So you have a story about under achieving premiership strikers where 4 of the 10 never played in the premiership and 1 didn't under achieve. If you think a 50% accuracy rate is good journalism, then by all means continue to give your money to the Daily Mail. I would suggest 50% accurate is probably typical of that particular rag, but I wouldn't want to be labelled a lefty just for pointing out the frequent failings of that particular rag.

Agreed but I actually like the fact that they've lumped the Prem and the old Div 1 together because I get pissed off with the Prem being treated as something different. e.g. the Hudds record that isn't a record - they "beat" Forest's record but not Arsenal's. 
  • Options
    I couldn't believe it when I saw this article, for two reasons. For one, I always read the paper from the back to the front so I saw all those exalted faces and there on the end was Carl Leaburn ! Secondly the Mail hardly knows that Charlton exist. I always assumed that Carl was included to amuse and entertain us, a goal was a wonderful bonus to be celebrated. Characters add a lot in life, so long may they thrive.
  • Options

High quality newspaper - constructive, informative and impartial.

To be fair, newspapers aren't supposed to be impartial.