Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Couple of bits of good local pub news. (For a change).

edited December 2011 in Not Sports Related

Did mention this yesterday in another thread but in these days of austerity and pubs closing down left right and center I thought I'd give it it's own thread as a couple of much needed good pieces of pub news.

The Lord Northbrook (near Lee Station) has been completely refurbed and opened last Friday.

I popped in there yesterday on my way to the game (not a local for me), great improvement and boy didn't it need it, it's 29 years since it was last done up!

5 real ales....full menu not yet available, though will be quite shortly.

Will be opening a conservatory and large decking area in due course...........those who know the pub will know of the large garden.

It's owned by the same fella that has The Oak in Widmore Road Bromley. Small chain of about 10 pubs.

I liked it.

Secondly, the impressive looking and fantasticly located Imperial Arms in Chislehurst has new owners who are making considerable improvements and all the right noises, once again sorely needed.

Not sure if it's actually open whilst they carry these works out........it might be? Drove past on Friday night and all the lights were on but there were several people in there working away stacking up furniture and generaly moving things around etc, so in the short term it may be closed.

I assume the wonderful Courtyard Thai Restaurant behind (which is part of the pub, though run independently) is still open.........I should imagine it is, as it's so popular.

Comments

• Options
    It's a lad who went to Colfe's who's old man has the chain of higher end bars/pubs including The Beckenham etc.

As you say the Imperial has needed work for years but hope it doesn't go the same way as The Ramblers of late. Full of complete Pondlife in their Lonsdale Gear. Think it's fair to say The Bull and The Crown are the nicest pubs in BR7 by a mile.
  • Options
    They do say that The Ramblers has more millionaire clientelle than any other pub in London and the South East.............though I don't see how one can categorically say so, but I wouldn't doubt it
  • Options
    Maybe 5 years ago, the last 2 the standard of clientele has pretty much fallen off a cliff. The bulk I know from living in Chis now completely avoid it for that reason.

That said the landlord is a decent bloke and these things tend to go in cycles. No doubt it will pick up again, The Bull tends to have a much more welcoming crowd and atmosphere at the moment.

On the theme of local pubs in that end of Bromley The Widmore (formerley the 5 Bells) is being converted into flats. Never recovered from that tear up a few years back.
  • Options
    What's the surname of the family? I play rugby with some ex colfes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yes, it never did.

Was very nasty wasn't it!

• Options
    The Mallen family.

On the subject of rugby one of his first ventures was in partnership with some lads from Parkhouse who clubbed together to start the Beckenham.
  • Options

The pubs chain and brewer Marston's says its continuing expansion means it will need another 1,000 employees next year.

The company said it had build 19 new pubs this year and planned to build 25 a year from 2012.

• Options
    Used to drink in the Imperial Arms a few years ago and had a fair few enjoyable lock-ins but I heard the old landlord did a bunk with the barmaid and the profits. Not sure if true or not.
  • Options
    The Northbrook used to be full of chavvy Millwall. Nice area, that deserves a decent boozer.
  • Options
    Glenda Jacksons son Danny lost an eye in the Northbrook some years ago when he tried to stand up for a girl that some low life were haranguing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Imperial is closed for a few weeks while they do up the place. Really needed it though. A load of us used to go in there for pre and post match drinks but went down hill 3 or 4 years ago. Lovely pub but it badly needed a bit of TLC. Lot of regulars probably go in the ramblers now. Used to see a few Charlton players in the Ramblers, Grant Basey, Andy Gray, Nicky Weaver. As has been said on here already there have been some dubious customers in there in the past and am sure it got busted by the old bill a while back.
  • Options
    Even though i live there, would never drink regularly anywhere in Lee - for a nice area it really doesnt have the pubs it deserves.
  • Options
    If it helps this thread, the Ramblers, Imperial, Tigers, Crown and Bull was agreat pub crawl when I was 16.....

(afew years ago.....)
  • Options
    I was in the Lord Northbrook last Sunday (I live on Burnt Ash Hill), you'd barely recognise the place now. Even more so cos of the people drinking in there.

A lot of potential there, especially being so close to the station. I was very impressed.

(And I'd guess the review of the place in Pub Spy a few months ago must've helped instigate the drastic makeover.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Even though i live there, would never drink regularly anywhere in Lee - for a nice area it really doesnt have the pubs it deserves.
    Well it does now.
  • Options
    Can also report the refurb of the Tigers Head in Chislehurst has been well done.
  • Options
    Had a good session in the Ramblers on Thursdy. Good Courage Best, cracking little boozer.