Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 Albums & Songs of 2011

2»

Comments

• Options

1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

2. The Unthanks - Last

3. The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From

4.Thee Spivs - Black And White Memories

5. Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

Just missed out: Tom Waits / Bad As Me, Fionn Regan /The End Of History, Milos / Mediterraneo

• Options
    I'm surprised the new Chili Pepper's album is on people's lists. Their last two albums have been absolute cack. And this is coming from an absolutely huge Chili Peppers fan
  • Options
    Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds is awesome as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Albums:

The Kills - Blood Pressures
    Kasabian - Velociraptor!
    Miles Kane - Colour of the Trap
    Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See
    Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
  • Options
    NME choices (if you see any other lists, stick 'em up here!)

2011 Top 5 Albums
    Let England Shake - PJ Harvey
    The English Riviera - Metronomy
    Skying - The Horrors
    Smother - Wild Beasts
    Smoke Ring For My Halo - Kurt Vile

2011 Top 5 Songs
    Video Games - Lana Del Rey
    Yonkers - Tyler, The Creator
    Still Life - The Horrors
    The Words That Maketh Murder - PJ Harvey
    Bed of Nails - Wild Beasts
  • Options
    Albums:

The Kills - Blood Pressures
    Kasabian - Velociraptor!
    Miles Kane - Colour of the Trap
    Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See
    Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
    Erm.... Spot on !
  • Options
    Albums
    Mystery Jets - Seratonin
    Vaccines - What did you expect
    Arctic Monkey - Suck it and see
    Bombay Bicycle Club - A different kind of fix

• Options
    I'm surprised the new Chili Pepper's album is on people's lists. Their last two albums have been absolute cack. And this is coming from an absolutely huge Chili Peppers fan
    Agreed the last album was utter dross, think this new one has some great stuff on it. Try not to compare it to their older stuff, listen as if it was something completely new
  • Options
    On Mylo Xyloto, it kind of dies after the Rhinana track, which pushed it down in my list of the year
  • Options
    Agreed the last album was utter dross, think this new one has some great stuff on it. Try not to compare it to their older stuff, listen as if it was something completely new
    their last album was okay. Shouldn't have made it a double album and I would have probably have liked it. By the Way and Californication were incredible albums. One Hot Minute was okay and Blood Sugar Sex Magik was their most original and influential album.

Just thought this one was way too poppy. I've listened to a lot of Josh Klinghoffer's stuff so I know it's not down to the change of guitar player. Still a massive fan and would kill to go see them in concert. Never got round to it/been able to afford/could go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ryan Adams - Ashes and Fire
    Elbow - Build a rocket boys
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    NME choices (if you see any other lists, stick 'em up here!)

2011 Top 5 Albums
    Let England Shake - PJ Harvey
    The English Riviera - Metronomy
    Skying - The Horrors
    Smother - Wild Beasts
    Smoke Ring For My Halo - Kurt Vile

2011 Top 5 Songs
    Video Games - Lana Del Rey
    Yonkers - Tyler, The Creator
    Still Life - The Horrors
    The Words That Maketh Murder - PJ Harvey
    Bed of Nails - Wild Beasts

Uncut 2011 Top 5 Albums

PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
    Gillian Welch – The Harrow & The Harvest
    Metronomy – The English Riviera
    White Denim – D
    Josh T. Pearson – Last Of The Country Gentlemen

Mojo 2011 Top 5 Albums
    The Horrors – Skying
    Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
    Jonathan Wilson – Gentle Spirit
    Kate Bush – 50 Words For Snow

Rough Trade 2011 Top 5 Albums
    Josh T. Pearson – Last of the Country Gentlemen
    Nicolas Jaar – Space is Only Noise
    Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring For My Halo
    Gillian Welch – The Harrow and the Harvest

BBC Music Writers 2011 Top 5 Albums
    Wild Beasts - Smother
    The Horrors – Skying
    The Antlers - Burst Apart
    Tom Waits - Bad As Me

• Options
    their last album was okay. Shouldn't have made it a double album and I would have probably have liked it. By the Way and Californication were incredible albums. One Hot Minute was okay and Blood Sugar Sex Magik was their most original and influential album.

Just thought this one was way too poppy. I've listened to a lot of Josh Klinghoffer's stuff so I know it's not down to the change of guitar player. Still a massive fan and would kill to go see them in concert. Never got round to it/been able to afford/could go.
    Mother's Milk destroys every other album the Chilis have made or ever will make. I stopped taking them seriously after Californication (which was good, but patchy to say the least) as everything since then has been dreck, IMO
  • Options
    Albums
    Gil Scott Heron & Jamie XX - We're New Here
    The Horrors - Skying
    Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind of Fix
    Fionn Regan - 100 Acres of Sycamore
    The Waterboys - An Appointment With Mr Yeats

Singles
    Paul Weller - Starlite
    Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle
    Blood Orange - Sutphin Boulevard
    Chapel Club - Surfacing
    Foo Fighters - Rope

Way too difficult to limit to 5. Would recommend Wild Beasts, Low, King Creosote & Jon Hopkins, The Villagers, Miles Kane, The Vaccines, Arctic Monkeys, White Denim, BellX1, Death Cab for Cutie, The Drums, Foster the People, Gomez, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and so many more :)
  • Options
    Villagers album is awesome but last year - best of 2010 imho

• Options
    Good point Salad...would have helped limit my list if I'd just left it off!! But definitely a brilliant album last year!! ;-)
  • Options
    I'm 52 and can't be bothered to listen to new music any more. Sad but it's all much for me. I'd love to be John Peel but its all too time consuming. But my son has me listening to the Vaccines - Wrecking bar best song of the year - and the Unthanks are good if you're off your nut. Gregory Porter is good if you wanna be a bit classy. Other than that just go for the first three Clash albums, a bit of early Dexys and some Motown chartbusters. I think thats about right.
  • Options
    My favourite 5 albums.....

5. Jonny - Jonny

4. Wooden Shjips - West   /     Moon Duo - Mazes

3. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

2. Meg Baird - Seasons on Earth

1. Kurt Vile - Smoke Rings For My Halo

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One I've forgot to mention, is the Jon Hopkins/King Creosote album, it's just beautiful.

And I would also recommend the beautiful Katy B, On a Mission
  • Options
    One I've forgot to mention, is the Jon Hopkins/King Creosote album, it's just beautiful.

agree mate...gave it a mention above, a superb record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Metronomy seems to be cropping up on everyone's list.  I haven't heard anything by them before, so I'm giving their album a listen on Spotify now...
  • Options
    Q Magazine's top 5 albums of the year:

5. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
    4. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
    3. Adele - 21
    2. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
    1. Florence & The Machine - Ceremonials
  • Options
    Metronomy seems to be cropping up on everyone's list.  I haven't heard anything by them before, so I'm giving their album a listen on Spotify now...
    what did you think?
  • Options
    what did you think?
    I only got a chance to listen to a couple of songs, but it didn't really sound like my sort of thing.  I'll give them another listen soon though; to be honest, it usually takes me at least 5 listens of any song for me to even form any sort of opinion on it.  Unless it's absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    having written off the Bon Iver album, gave it another listen recently and really like it now - got to be in the mood for it I guess
  • Options
    Top 5 recent albums (not sure if 11 or 12)

Black keys-el camino
    Manic street preachers- national treasures
    Chase n status- No more idols
    Vaccines-
    Noel Gallaghers high flying birds
  • Options
    Fairly sure all but the Black Keys were last year. Also isn't that Manics one a singles album? Shouldn't be allowed if it is
  • Options
    I've never listened to a whole Arctic Monkeys album.

Albums:
    1. *shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo
    2. Thrice - Major/Minor
    3. Between The Buried & Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
    4. Russian Circles - Empros
    5. Sylosis - Edge of the Earth

Mastodon and Opeth albums were both massively disappointing.
    I adore the new Mastodon album! Honestly my favourite of all of theirs i think now.