Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Test squad for Pakistan matches

Squad: Strauss (capt), Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Morgan, Bopara, Prior, Davies, Broad, Anderson, Bresnan, Finn, Tremlett, Swann, Panesar.

Dates: First Test: Dubai, Jan 17-21; Second Test: Abu Dhabi, Jan 25-29; Third Test: Dubai, Feb 3-7.

Comments

• Options
    no surprises there then
  • Options
    Are they allowed to name a squad of more than 16 ?
    Is it simply a cost issue I wonder

If we are going to play 2 spinners then wouldn't naming a 3rd spinner in the squad (we can't count KP as that) have made a bit more sense ....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are they allowed to name a squad of more than 16 ?
    Is it simply a cost issue I wonder

If we are going to play 2 spinners then wouldn't naming a 3rd spinner in the squad (we can't count KP as that) have made a bit more sense ....
    years ago when it was a lovely ship cruise to 'play away',  squads were 17 and even 18 strong. Nowadays air travel means that replacements can be on hand within hours. Also, for 3 tests it means having too many bodies sitting around doing  nix. AND, the Lions will be playing in Bangladesh so plenty of spare bodies just up the road .. though I suspect Bangladesh might be nearly as far from the Emirates as is England. Geoff Miller this morning stated that the Emirates groundkeepers are trying to get more Australian / S African type pitches rather than Indian /Pakistani dirt tracks, so pace bowling might be more appropriate than spin.
  • Options
    Cheers Lincs

I understand the fact that someone can be called up at a moments notice but will they be able to step in if need be

Think the rest of the bases are covered in depth .. just worry if either Monty or Swann get injured then Samit Patel will get a call and he might not have played for weeks 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cheers Lincs

I understand the fact that someone can be called up at a moments notice but will they be able to step in if need be

Think the rest of the bases are covered in depth .. just worry if either Monty or Swann get injured then Samit Patel will get a call and he might not have played for weeks 
    cheers, I suspect that Patel and the Kent lad whose name temporarily escapes me will be playing somwhere warm this winter .. for the top boys it's an all year round job/sport nowadays. Selection is not restricted to the named squads, though, to my mind it should be