Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Series Rev.

Watched this from the beginning and think every episode is better than the last.
This weeks "Inter Faith" football matches were Comedy Gold.

Comments

• Options

My favourite thing on the box , I too started watching it from the start in the first series.

I go past the church it is filmed at in Shoreditch most mornings , as well as the interfaith footie match I particularly enjoyed the episode where Rev became an unlikely have a go hero because he accidently bumped into a mugger. I like the way some top actors like Ralph Fiennes and Richard E Grant come in to do cameos

I think Steve Evets ( the star of looking for Eric ) is particularly good as Colin the vagrant parishioner who Rev always trys to help .

• Options
    vicarage!

best episode so far with the football match. 
  • Options
    Not seen this, but sounds like a Father Ted rip off. Will have to watch it one day.
  • Options
    The football match was superb. Eldavide it differs from Father Ted and Vicar of Dibley in that it's set in an inner city London church rather than a rural parish. Very funny.
  • Options
    A really good, well written and well performed comedy that has escaped the curse of the 'canned' laughter that spoils so many shows. I remember  looking forward to seeing the early MASH series again on one of the satellite channels only to find that hysterical laughter had been added and ruined it completely.
  • Options
    Good series and a highlight of the schedules at the moment. Tom Hollander IS the rev !
  • Options
    Loved it.  Will have to catch up on bbci.  Towards thend of the first season when Colin was discovered to be the impostor vicar was superb. 
  • Options
    "Oh, your not the nice one....my wife is ill and I need £20 for the nurse..."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Brilliant Episode: football starts around 16 minutes.....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally brilliant Tom Hollander is just great in it as are all the cast and because of scheduling really showed how moribund and unoriginal Lifes too short is.
  • Options

Tom Hollander will always be The F**ker to me.

Life's Too Short - I've heard so many mixed reviews of this I thought I'd wait till I'd seen some episodes. Caught up with the first 5 now. I won't go out of my way with catching the 6th. Some funny momnets but generally very poor.

• Options

Life's Too Short - I've heard so many mixed reviews of this I thought I'd wait till I'd seen some episodes. Caught up with the first 5 now. I won't go out of my way with catching the 6th. Some funny momnets but generally very poor.

This week's episode was exceptionally dull and unoriginal - the idea of checking out other religions was nicked from a Woody Allen film, (Hannah and her Sisters, I think).  
  • Options

Ricky Gervais nicking ideas? Never! Apparently he's never even watched Curb your Enthusiasm.....well to be fair he does quote that as an influence.

However he's never acknowledged how much he lifted from Operation Good Guys for The Office.

• Options
    'Operation Good Guys' was fantastic!
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more falconwood what a great programme. I think Lifes too short is just a remake of The Office with the deluded David Brent being played by a dwarf. Not original or funny and being padded out by "celebrity" appearences most of which are stilted and slightly awkward.
  • Options
      Not original or funny and being padded out by "celebrity" appearences most of which are stilted and slightly awkward.
    Although that is how they are meant to appear....
  • Options
    Maybe didn't express myself very well Chirpy unlike in Extras where the cringeworthy cameos were funny (Les Dennis and Kate Winslet stood out) in LTS they are just cringeworthy. The cameo by Liam Neeson was particularly embarrassing I thought. Only a personal opinion but LTS has been for me the most disappointing programme for years.
  • Options

I thought the Liam Neeson bit was probably the best bit of the whole series. It was embarrassing, intentially. However Johnny Depps, Helena BC's and Steve Catrell (? US Office)'s were pathetic and unfunny.

I think the reason Nesson's was funny was because it had nothing to do with story of this crap show. It was straight from a Comic Relief style sketch.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought that was the highlight too.

What is funny though is people trying to justify the cheap gags at the dwarf's expense.

• Options

I watched Life's too short once because it followed Rev.

Felt uncomfortable with it because the jokes are all about him being a Dwarf and even then it wasn't actually funny .Its a real shame that something like Rev which is pure comedy gold is followed by such garbage.

• Options
    Watched Rev last night after I'd read this thread.  Comedy?  I just found it depressing.  After 20 minutes I found I was more interested in looking at the fish tank than the tele.  For me it's up there with The Cafe, vying for the award of most unfunny programme of the year.
  • Options

Goes to show how comedy is very much a taste issue .

Rev isn't about belly laughs but deals with real social issues and it is the situations that Rev and the other charcters find themselves in which make the comedy.

I've noticed on the other thread that some people like Life's too short which as I say above I think is utter garbage.

• Options
    Anyone watching the third series?

Quite sensibly they have waited 3 years and have not overdone it. I hate it when excellent comedies go on for one season too long ( Brush Strokes ) or change the actors or actresses playing some of the leading roles ( Goodnight Sweetheart ) . Both Tom Hollander and Olivia Coleman have been in demand and become significantly more famous in the last few years .I am glad they still head the cast.

Personally I think it has got even better ,but it is slightly more sombre this time around . I like the way they tackle some really difficult social issues such as gay marriage and paedophilia and still maintain a degree of humour . Adam has become a father and stole a kiss with the attractive headmistress Ellie after they had both challenged some unsocial behaviour from some unruly teenagers .The other recurring theme in the series is the church's awful financial state and St Saviours is threatened with closure. I loved Arch Deacon Robert's remark that it could make the most interesting themed Tesco metro store.

I won't do a spoiler in case anyone wants to watch it on I Player , but last night the church reader Nigel makes a formal complaint about Adam's kiss with Ellie to the Bishop played once more by Ralph Fiennes . Liam Neeson also made an appearance .Not many comedies could attract such a stellar cast to play supporting roles.

Next week is the last in the current series. I hope that they can make it fresh enough for a fourth series even if we do have to wait a few years again.
  • Options
    It gets better with age, great characters - Mick dressed as a woman the other week was hilarious - and the various nicknames they come up with for Geri and Jill always have me chuckling. Excellent black comedy.
  • Options
    Just watched last nights. Superb Easter themed episode.