Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke v Yids

Comments

• Options
    Good for you for making a stand MOG.  I think the discussion gets sidelined when people limit it to, "are Spurs fans fans offended"?  The the real question should be, "is anyone offended"?  The fact that Spurs have, as JohnBoy reports, banned banners and flags with it on is probably a good indication that other people do find it offensive. 
  • Options
    "Yids" is a racist term. a few THFC supporters sing "yid army" to deflect any abuse to them.
    A few?  When you say a few, do you mean like every supporter in the Park Lane end and The Shelf week in week out.  Then you'd be correct.  Sorry MOG, I'm not offended by the Y word and I'm proud to call myself one.  However, I do appreciate that the club are encouraging the supporters not to sing it and banners and flags with the Y word on have been banned for the last 2 seasons.  So you may on TV see the famous YOIDS banner created in protest.

As for the game, I didnt even realise we were playing today until a mate text to say we'd been robbed.  Havent seen any highlights so cant comment.  Was gonna lose a game sooner rather than later, blimey, we hadnt lost a league game since August!
    Didn't realise your team where playing today..........?? Don't get that at all
  • Options
    Sorry, but thought "Admin" or someone would have noticed this "Lazy Racism" earlier.
  • Options
    Got loads of tottenham mates and they call themselves yids.

Also, I'm half jewish and have no problems with them chanting it or calling themselves yids
  • Options
    Sorry, but thought "Admin" or someone would have noticed this "Lazy Racism" earlier.
    FS. It was an innocent comment about the match to which everyone commented about the match. As you can see, Jewish people and Spurs fans are not offended so nothing to worry about.

Not everything is racist as much as people like you want to class it as. Anyway I'm not bothered but you calling me a twat is probably more offensive!
  • Options
    I'm still floored every time I see references like this.

I'm not Jewish, but as I've always understood the "y word" to be a slur, can't see any justification for anyone, other than Jewish people attempting to appropriate the term, using it no matter the intent. Perhaps some are right and no-one is offended by its use, but I cannot imagine that is so. The story that MOG linked to seems clear.

As per Stig above, whether Spurs supporters are offended by its use is not the issue.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2011

From Wikipedia. It appears it's not only on this site where its use is controversial. People on both sides of the fence.

The word Yid (play /ˈjd/; Yiddish: ייִד)[clarification needed] is a slang Jewish ethnonym. Its usage may be controversial in modern English language. It is not usually considered offensive when pronounced /ˈjd/ (rhyming with deed), the way Yiddish speakers say it, though some may deem the word offensive nonetheless. When pronounced /ˈjɪd/ (rhyming with did), it can generally be perceived as a pejorative—and is used as a derogatory epithet by antisemites.[1]

Supporters of Tottenham Hotspur F.C. adopted the nickname "Yid" (or "Yiddo") and often identify as "Yid Army". Used as a badge of pride by the Jewish communities based near to the North London football club, such usage is not without controversy.

• Options
    It's simply a matter of context, but the use of the term "Yid" is contraversial.

Officially, the club would like to see the end of its use, but there's a strong tradition among Spurs supporters (both Jewish and non-Jewish) to continue it.

Personally, I tend not to use the term.

• Options

A simple test I would suggest is as follows:  if you had an argument with a Jewish colleague at work and used the Y-word, how long do you think you'd keep your job for if he/she complained to HR?  (Answer: about 5 minutes).  There is no doubt whatsoever that it is considered an offensive racist slur.

One can debate whether in the very specific context of THFC the term has been de-classified as offensive in same way (even though 90% of Spurs fans are not Jewish), but given that most football fans (especially those who happen to be playing Spurs at the time) are too unintelligent to recognise the difference, I'd suggest that any right-thinking person would not use the term in any context.

• Options
    It's either racist or it's not. If its racist how comes the club and even the fa aren't doing much about it. I see they have banned banners etc but if the n word is used in any ground your ejected and handed a ban if caught. Kicking racism out of football isn't to do with just one race. It's all races.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think its all about context and the meaning behind it,

To even suggest that when thousands of Tottenham football fans sing

Who lets the yids out or Yid army

that they are in some way being racist is just ridiculous,

There needs to be some form of racial behaviour to go along side the word for it deemed to be racist in my opinion

The condersending manor in which the Term Unintelligent or intellegence is used in some of the posts above is laughable and you are looking for something that is not there,

• Options
    What a boring load of ol shoite this thread turned into (after about 5 comments)
    Pattern well and truly emerged as usual.

Good game though.
  • Options
    What a boring load of ol shoite this thread turned into (after about 5 comments)
    Pattern well and truly emerged as usual.

Good game though.
    Agree

Though the sending off was harsh
  • Options
    Yeah, very, officials had a mare.

Nice to see a team treat the last 40mins looking for goals. Most teams only attack like that for the last 5mins when losing.
  • Options

You cannot be half Jewish! You either are Jewish or you are not.

David Baddiel is Jewish apparently but you'd never know.

• Options
    "Admin" possibly think you unnecessarily deflected a football thread about what was a cracking game.
  • Options
    Did stoke just sing. He looks like a chimp. Gareth bale. He looks like a chimp. Haha
    Yes, made me laugh although I hope no chimps were offended.
  • Options

no such thing as a decent game in the prem

real football with real people at real football grounds rather than all them premiershite plastics at the ground sitting at home or wherever

• Options

no such thing as a decent game in the prem

real football with real people at real football grounds rather than all them premiershite plastics at the ground sitting at home or wherever

What are you going to be like when we're back in the Prem?
  • Options

What are you going to be like when we're back in the Prem?

happy but very very old
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pulling this thread back on track, did anybody notice how Stoke changed the shape of their pitch for this game.

Apparently they do it quite regularly.

• Options

Pulling this thread back on track, did anybody notice how Stoke changed the shape of their pitch for this game.

Dont understand.  What do you mean?
  • Options

They cahnge the width of the pitch depending on who they play,

They paint over the white lines with Green paint , and pull the whole pitch in or out, so with you guys and your wingers they narrow the pitch to the shortest allowed , if they know another team set up with 3 midfielders the open it up and go to the maximum allowed

• Options

They paint over the white lines with Green paint , and pull the whole pitch in or out, so with you guys and your wingers they narrow the pitch to the shortest allowed , if they know another team set up with 3 midfielders the open it up and go to the maximum allowed

lol cheeky fcukers, I've never noticed that before.  Wasnt it them who had the multi-ball system as well but then as soon as they go a goal up, they revert to one ball? 
  • Options
    I think that was Everton
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I suspect they knew Spurs would play Bale and possibly Lennon on the flanks, so they narrowed the pitch by a yard all the way round. Quite legal, but not very sporting IMO.

• Options
    Theres some atmosphere though when Stoke play at home compared to most other Premiership grounds.
  • Options

The place is rocking every game or so it seems when i have watched them on the TV

• Options

lol cheeky fcukers, I've never noticed that before.  Wasnt it them who had the multi-ball system as well but then as soon as they go a goal up, they revert to one ball? 

they only change their pitch for Europa League fixtures, as it's not up to the minimum required size, they then change it back for prem games, they don't change it depending on who they are playing.

They also got warned about having towels on the side of the pitch for Delap, yesterday whoever was taking the throw's had a towl stitched into the inside of his shirt, they showed it on MOTD last night.

• Options
    Nothing new. Clough and Revie did it all the time. That's the thing with football, there are no firm 100% co-ordinations for a football pitch. Just minimum and maximum widths and lengths. Obviously the size of the goals, 18 and 6 yard boxes don't change nor the area of the centre circle, the "D" and the distance of the Pen spot from the goal line.