Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I know the M25 is bad, but........

edited December 2011 in Not Sports Related

An 82-year-old spent more than 30 hours on a motorway after getting lost driving an hour away to his daughter's house.

Dennis Leighton sparked a police appeal for help tracing him after leaving his home in Windsor, Berkshire, on Monday evening.

The pensioner had made the 55-mile journey to his daughter's home in Swanley, Kent, before but something went drastically wrong, with him getting lost on the M25.

The octogenarian was eventually found in south London by Metropolitan Police after spending two nights in his car.

The journey to Swanley should have taken him just over an hour. When he did not arrive his concerned family phoned the police.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "He got a little bit lost but was found safe and well in the early hours."

Officers had asked colleagues in neighbouring constabularies to be vigilant for the missing pensioner and his silver Vauxhall estate.

His car was seen on Tuesday at 11.20am only six miles from his destination when it was picked up on a police automatic number plate recognition camera in Dartford, Kent.

Officers think he might have spent a large part of the time parked in a layby or services.

Police said that Mr Leighton was found safe and well and had been reunited with his family. There was no explanation for how he had spent his time but a force spokesman said had had not been "driving round solidly for 30 hours".

Comments

• sometimes you see old people driving and you think , should they really be driving !

• sometimes you see women driving and you think , should they really be driving !

thats just sexist
  • sometimes you see old people driving and you think , should they really be driving !

I think that of a lot more young people and so called professional drivers than I do old people!
  • Now now Len we were both young once.
  • sometimes you see people driving to away games and you think , should they really be going !

• lol Len took you 11 mins to blame the young'ens. you're getting slow in your old age.
  • My Nan once drove to the shops without removing the crook lock from the steering wheel. God alone knows how she managed to even do it but, to be fair, she did realise at that stage that she shouldn't be driving and surrendered her license.
  • it was swanley.
  • edited December 2011
    My Nan once drove to the shops without removing the crook lock from the steering wheel. God alone knows how she managed to even do it but, to be fair, she did realise at that stage that she shouldn't be driving and surrendered her license.
    Thank goodness the shops were in a straight line from her house.................please tell me they were!
  • My Nan once drove to the shops without removing the crook lock from the steering wheel. God alone knows how she managed to even do it but, to be fair, she did realise at that stage that she shouldn't be driving and surrendered her license.
    Thank goodness the shops were in a straight line from her house.................please tell me they were!
    Nope. I can only assume she didn't put it on properly and still had a bit of play.
  • Sponsored links:

• I bet his insurance is under £100 a year as well :-)
  • Anyone seen T.C.E. lately??
  • usually takes about 26 hours to do that stretch of the m25 anyway.
  • edited April 2014

How long has this been known as the Holmesdale Tunnel? I've never noticed the huge name sign up there before. I felt quite queasy going though it today.
  • At least that photo proves the long term myth to be incorrect. The car in front of you is not a Toyota!
  • Why didn't you pop in stig your right by mine

It's always been the stripes Cnut s tunnel