Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scotland to trial safe standing areas

The Scottish Premier League will consider requests to pilot safe standing areas after widespread support among fans.

The SPL announced a relaxation of their rules on standing following a general meeting of all 12 clubs on Monday.The league also announced two major changes over "unacceptable conduct", bringing in an independent commission to rule on clubs who are the subject of complaints and specifically including a ban on the support of terrorist organisations in their rules.Neil Doncaster,image chief executive of the SPL, said: "Since I joined the SPL in 2009, there has been widespread support amongst fans to reintroduce safe standing areas."I am delighted that we have been able to respond positively to supporters' views on improving the match day experience."Expressed interest"I am delighted that we have been able to respond positively to supporters' views on improving the match day experience."
Neil Doncaster Quotes of the weekCelticimage and Motherwellimage are among the clubs who have expressed interest in the idea, although applications for standing areas will also have to be approved by local council safety committees and police.SPL rules currently state that teams must only use seated areas with a minimum of 6,000 seats per stadium.Scotland is not bound by the law which banned standing areas in top-flight football in England, which came in to force after the Taylor Report into the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.Good reputationMeanwhile, it was also revealed that, after discussions within the Joint Action Group formed to tackle sectarianism, there will be widening of what constitutes "unacceptable conduct" with an independent commission to be set up as the final arbiter.