Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Box Help

edited December 2011 in General Charlton

Dear All,

Can anyone help me pls who is an expert.

I have had problems the last few days. I have a 06-06 message stating something like "unable to playback or recordings". I have a tried a re-build and got a message saying "housekeeping" for a few seconds... and then nothing.. pictues goes blank with sound. I have no planner and all my recordings have gone. I have triewd the "pressing backup" and switching on mains as advised went into "operating system" message for 10 mins then switched itself on and off and then still get the same problem? Has anyone had this problem and how did you resolve this?

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• Options
    Phone sky, they will either sort the problem or replace the box with a shiny new one
  • Options
    Phone sky, they will either sort the problem or replace the box with a shiny new one
    At a cost of around £60 unless you threaten to leave.

• Options
    A few years ago I had a problem with my box and they replaced it free of charge...skys customer service has always been excellent whenever I have called them
  • Options
    Thats just started happening to me on the skyhd box
    All the progs set up on series record are fine but it wont let me record anything else from now on!

On the phone to sky in the morning
  • Options

thanx guys... they have been helpful and they couldnt sort it.. only got left is to pay for a call out £65 or £70 or pay monthly and if it cant be fixed they will replace it with a refurbished box

• Options
    You re-built it!?

On subject, has anyone else been getting calls from third parties, saying my manufacturers warranty has run out on my sky box and they can cover it for x amount a month?
  • Options

thanx guys... they have been helpful and they couldnt sort it.. only got left is to pay for a call out £65 or £70 or pay monthly and if it cant be fixed they will replace it with a refurbished box

Dont even think about paying any money for a call out.  Demand to speak to the retentions department.  Say you'll leave because (a)  you're not willing to pay for the call out - they'll send someone out free of charge and give you a new box; and (b) you're paying far too much a month and they'll drop your bill too.  I'm currently paying £28 a month for Sky HD, Sky Sports and ESPN.  You shouldnt be paying any more than that.  All it takes is a 10 min phone once every six months and you'll save yourself a fortune.
  • Options
    just trying an "updating system software" reset thingy. thanks JohnBoyUK. I had a previous complaint with them and said "just get rid it of all" throuhg frustration. A week later I received a letter from them "as agreed we will cancel your sky at so and so date".  I have to deal with them an 2 other separate complaints in the past and you are right if you present your case well they do listen "eventually" unlike three network !! Hello Redmist I used to get those calls
  • Options
    What did u say on the phone call
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Dont even think about paying any money for a call out.  Demand to speak to the retentions department.  Say you'll leave because (a)  you're not willing to pay for the call out - they'll send someone out free of charge and give you a new box; and (b) you're paying far too much a month and they'll drop your bill too.  I'm currently paying £28 a month for Sky HD, Sky Sports and ESPN.  You shouldnt be paying any more than that.  All it takes is a 10 min phone once every six months and you'll save yourself a fortune.
    This saves you a fortune,

My neighbour was being 30 quid for her monthly package.

We were paying 45 quid

Gave em a rang and told them i was going to leave...

Then they Dropped it straight back down to 30 !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You re-built it!? On subject, has anyone else been getting calls from third parties, saying my manufacturers warranty has run out on my sky box and they can cover it for x amount a month?
    Yea, I got one of them recently. I was pretty sure I hadn't had Sky+ for a year so I started questioning him: where he got my number from and was his company anything to do with Sky - he said they'd got my number from Sky and his company was independent, so I hung up.
  • Options
    I had this and cleared it by going to services then choose 4 then press 0,1 select to get to installers menu then drop down to full system reset and press select. The note says that all recordings will be lost but that has not been my experience.

Should only take a couple of minutes.
  • Options

Ok well this didn't work for me! I have the basic entertainment package + sky sports and am paying £39 a month. Just rang, gave them the whole 'my friend only pays £30 for the same package, I'm going to leave etc' and they weren't bothered at all and started going through the closing account procedure! Had to say I'd think about it some more.
  • Options

Ok well this didn't work for me! I have the basic entertainment package + sky sports and am paying £39 a month. Just rang, gave them the whole 'my friend only pays £30 for the same package, I'm going to leave etc' and they weren't bothered at all and started going through the closing account procedure! Had to say I'd think about it some more.
    Quite clearly they knew you were pulling a fast one!
  • Options

They probably did but how do others get it to work then?

• Options
    Maybe the person you spoke to is a lifer and has been reading this thread?
  • Options
    When I purchased a 3D TV, I called them and asked for the 3D channel on its own. They said no you have to have everything. Said I want to cancel so they gave me Sky World for £26 per month for 6 months. That ended two weeks ago, said it wasn't worth paying full price and was going to Virgin where I could get it for £30-40 with their 3D channel so they've renewed the £26 per month for a year. Good ole Sky.
  • Options

I was told recently when I phoned Sky that it depends on when you phone up to cancel or downgrade, as to what they can offer you.

Apparently Monday morning is a good time to call, as they have 'weekly targets' of how many customers to keep.
    If you phone up on a Thursday and they've met them targets, you may not be so lucky...

• Options
    Maybe the person you spoke to is a lifer and has been reading this thread?
    Defo. I spoke to a female so that should narrow it down a bit :-)
  • Options
    As has been indicated above, just threaten to leave and join up with Virgin and they will panic and give you anything you want. (Shame it doesn't work when you threaten the wife with the same)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As has been indicated above, just threaten to leave and join up with a Virgin and they will panic and give you anything you want. (Shame it doesn't work when you threaten the wife with the same)
    Good luck finding one of them on a Friday night in Bexley!
  • Options
    As has been indicated above, just threaten to leave and join up with Virgin and they will panic and give you anything you want. (Shame it doesn't work when you threaten the wife with the same)

I did threaten to leave and it didn't work.

It's like they don't care about me, I feel so unloved.

• Options

I agree with all the above, I have had a lot of problems with Sky+ HD box's, I have had three in 18 months, every time I call them to report the fault they tell me I have to pay a call out fee, every time I tell them if thats the case the box will be outside ready for them to collect.

They have replaced it 3 times and I have not paid a penny

Also Rudders if your Sky is not working you can get a refund for the days you have been without the service.

Last but not least the engineers have told me all the box's you get that you think are new are all re-fubished so you are only getting a box that has has been in someone elses home and developed a fault, that is why so many are going wrong............again.

• Options
    As has been indicated above, just threaten to leave and join up with a Virgin and they will panic and give you anything you want. (Shame it doesn't work when you threaten the wife with the same)
    Good luck finding one of them on a Friday night in Bexley!
    Thanks Saga. Maybe i was being too subtle with that joke.
  • Options
    Hi guys, just a quick update. In the last last couple of days i remembered that I still got the old box before the Terrabite one, and so I called Sky to see what  the process was in swapping my old one in terms of can i use the same card which they said I could but if it didnt owkr to call them an they would link the card with the box. In the end I took their advise and gave up and did a full system reset. I lost my call recordings which is a bummer. Hey ho, it works