Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Obsessive Hoarding Programme On Channel 4

Just wondering if anyone saw this on channel 4 last night? quite sad but shocking, i'd seen this guy on the news ,but i'd never seen anything in someones home quite as bad.

Comments

• Yep, how he hasn't set his house on fire from cooking his daily 2 boiled eggs is beyond me! Funny how it takes him 1/2 hour to actually get out of the house from his one sitting area
  • edited December 2011
    I couldn't believe he had 18 jag cars in his garden , and when the community mucked in and helped him clear his garden , they took 30 tons of rubbish away!

His house was worth about a million , and he had 5 garages full of stuff as well, he certainly was a well read bloke , problem was he kept everything he read! hadn't slept in a bed for years.
  • Interesting to see that a landscape gardener is more help to the mentally ill than a psychologist!
  • Interesting to see that a landscape gardener is more help to the mentally ill than a psychologist!
    Yep he was a nice guy , the other guy just turned his back on him.
  • I've got slight OCD and that was hard to watch .
    Sorry to hear that Brooker , it makes me sad that people are not accepted and included in society , but when asked communities will rally round and help.
  • Well Brooker I too have OCD though nothing to the extent of that poor man last night none the less it does drive me and at times my family nuts. I believe that it has always been there but has got worse as I have got older so is becoming more tricky to control.

• Yep, how he hasn't set his house on fire from cooking his daily 2 boiled eggs is beyond me! Funny how it takes him 1/2 hour to actually get out of the house from his one sitting area
    Watching The firemen trying to get in to do a fire safety assessment was incredible
  • Just watching it now - unbelieveable. If that's not a fire hazard, I don't know what is. Everyone should have a quick look at this, even if it's for 5 mins.

Thats right although it will be interesting to see the inside of his house now and whether in 5 years time it's any better than it was. The landscaper was a lovely bloke and undoubtedly a big help, but has he solved the mental problem?
  • That local council representative should be removed from office for his actions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was there not a house near the Royal Oak that looked like a hoarders domain a few years back?
  • Haven't watched it yet but have dealt with several just as bad.

You are caught between a rock and a hard place and nothing you do will solve the situation. If you leave it, the neighbours will get upset. If you force the issue the person hoarding will get "upset".

It can get quite surreal at times!
  • think we all have a touch of OCD to be honest, just depends on what degree you have it and what the obsession is.
  • You are right Large but when it starts to interfere with your life then it's a problem. Hard to describe really some people are OCD about one or two things like the guy in the TV programme or you can be OCD about practically everything. My personal OCD's change depending on the situation but believe me it can be bloody hard to live with there are many times when I am telling myself that it doesn't matter but I cannot stop. I have nothing but sympathy for that man and as said luckily I don't suffer to that extent but it can still be miserable.
  • I think if its something specific like hoarding then its a bit like giving up drugs - chuck the lot, do the cold turkey, feel the anxiety and then nothing will feel as bad again and you'll be able to change your behaviour from then on. The landscaper helping out is possibly doing more harm than good even though he is well intentioned. The psychiatrist has probably seen a lot more cases and knows that if the root problem isn't dealt with, nothing will change. Thats my take on it and he could probably benefit from some decent food and some anti depressants.

• Fair point BD , i hope for all their sakes this guy can be helped , he probably needs to downsize in house , but i think the change would probably be to much for him , but your right , its all very well clearing the rubbish and making the neighbours happy , but if he goes back to how he was then whats changed?  apart from the local skip company making a fortune.
  • very interesting documentary, the Landscape Gardener restored my faith in humanity.....the Britain in Bloom lot were nauseating
  • Just watched it. He came across as a nice bloke ( not bonkers at all) ,  who wanted to clear his mess up but the collecting thing just got in the way. I agree about the Britain in Bloom moron's. Poncy gits.