Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Racing Post Mid Season evaluation of Charlton

edited December 2011 in General Charlton

Apologies if already posted, but worth a double posting anyway

the League One review in the last Tuesday's Racing Post, which states:-

"Charlton look best equipped to stay the pace and are still available at 5/4 for the title with Betfred, Boyles and Paddy Power. They are five points clear and would be shorter still but for a couple of 1-1 draws against Walsall and Oldham going into the festive period. But remember that their only loss this season came at Stevenage - a notoriously difficult opponent, especially at Broadhall Way - and other teams have slipped up, and will continue to slip up, in the unlikeliest places. It's who does it the fewest times who will prosper and the Addicks, with all the strength in depth required and firepower galore in the shape of 14-goal Bradley Wright-Phillips and the outstanding Johnnie Jackson, are well set and hard to dislike."

So there; lump on.

The facts provided by the RP's stats team make interesting reading.

* Since 1994-1995, teams leading the League at Christmas have been
  promoted automatically ten times (out of seventeen).
* Only once has the Christmas leader finished outside of the
  play-offs; Oxford lead the League by one point in 1994-95 and
  eventually lost the title by 14 points, finishing seventh.
* None of the other six leaders gained promotion through the play-offs.
* The biggest margin of Christmas dominance was 4 points and four of
  these five leaders went straight up; only Forest in 2006-07 let the
  side down by finishing fourth and failing to gain play-off victory.

We're five points clear, so lump on even more........or not, as the mood takes you.

Comments

• Options
    I checked my Betfair last night - my one outstanding bet is Charlton to win the leage at 11/1 with a tenner on it

Come on boys - please don't let me down
  • Options
    Interesting post. It does amuse me that people pretty much burst a blood vessel when we lost to Stevenage, blaming Powell for bringing Green and Kerms in to the side. I wasn't too impressed with the loss myself. Now, Kerms is our highest rated player and Stevenage are a 'notoriously difficult opponent', especially away. Goes to show we don't know half as much as we think we do. Probably best to leave it to Powelly
  • Options

the Addicks, with all the strength in depth required and firepower galore in the shape of 14-goal Bradley Wright-Phillips and the outstanding Johnnie Jackson, are well set and hard to dislike.

No one dislikes us, we don't care.
  • Options

Got a good bit of dough e/w @ 14/1 for us to win the league. Would be nice to pay for my litle 'uns first season ticket as well as my ticket for next season with it.

Got BWP top scorer as well.

• Options

Got a good bit of dough e/w @ 14/1 for us to win the league. Got BWP top scorer as well @ 9/1

Same here, only thing I didn't do was the double. Doh.
  • Options

I have a healthy lump on at 14/1 for title and 9/2 for promotion and even a little each way as we could finish third and not get promoted.

As for the double, it would not be allowed the bets are related. The thinking being that if Bradley is top scorer in leauge 1 then Charlton are more likely to have win the leauge, so the bet would not be accepted, and if it was they would split to 2 singles.

• Options

I have a healthy lump on at 14/1 for title and 9/2 for promotion and even a little each way as we could finish third and not get promoted.

Pretty much the same for me, though most of my bet is on at 9/2 for promotion. 
    Would have had more on, but someone on here welched after agreeing to lay me 20s.
  • Options

Got a good bit of dough e/w @ 14/1 for us to win league

Same here ... fingers crossed
  • Options

Stig," No one dislikes us and we don't care"

I wished I said that,

• Options

Got a good bit of dough e/w @ 14/1 for us to win the league. Got BWP top scorer as well @ 9/1

Same here, only thing I didn't do was the double. Doh.
    I didn't have the double either but going up would be enough for me :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Got a good bit of dough e/w @ 14/1 for us to win the league. Would be nice to pay for my litle 'uns first season ticket as well as my ticket for next season with it.

Got BWP top scorer as well.

no double but £50 @ 14s from me, by looks of things, ive made worse drunken mistakes......

• Options
    I know you all believe us, I know you all believe us, I know you all belieeeeeve us! The reds are going up!
  • Options

Got a good bit of dough e/w @ 14/1 for us to win league

Same here ... fingers crossed
    and me
  • Options
    This is the first season since we were first relegated from prem I haven't gambled on us!

I didn't trust the messiah and now I shall burn for my crimes lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Got a nice wedge on 10-1 and a score at 12-1

• Options

The facts provided by the RP's stats team make interesting reading.

* Since 1994-1995, teams leading the League at Christmas have been
      promoted automatically ten times (out of seventeen).
    * Only once has the Christmas leader finished outside of the
      play-offs; Oxford lead the League by one point in 1994-95 and
      eventually lost the title by 14 points, finishing seventh.

Or put another way:-

* Being top at Xmas is no guarantee of going up, and the stats show that there is a 41.18 per cent chance of the top team on Dec 25 failing to get promoted

* There is a precedent for being top at Xmas and not even making the play-offs

Don't worry; I'm playing devil's advocate.  Lump on, lads, because we are going up - and as champions!
  • Options
    Not me - I have been caught out by a sure fire Charlton bet in the past!
  • Options
    £25 Each Way at 12's.