Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the new EPPP rules and the death of our academies

edited December 2011 in General Charlton
We are currently trying to drum up interest in a petition against the EPPP. There's a group called 72Unite over here: http://twitter.com/#!/72unite who have set up a petition with the government. You can get to the petition here: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/21314

Anything that attracts 100,000 signatures has to get voiced in parliament. 20,000 to make the first page of petitions which means it’ll get media attention, 8,000 to make the second page.

Its already on the first page of the Media Culture and Sport but needs 40,000 signatures to be the biggest in that department, 16,000 to make the top 5.

We've had a couple of protests at Selhurst Park but there just doesn't appear to be any buy-in from anyone in power. This leaves it down to the fans to do something. The only way we can be heard is to get together as 72 football league clubs and try to get this noticed.

I don't know if you guys have an academy that will be affected or not, but anything that can be done to promote this amongst the fans up your way would be a bonus.

For those unaware of the EPPP, see here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15381652.stm

All the best for the rest of the season.

Comments

• Options
    I agree with you, but it does seem that the football league clubs have voted for it as the alternative was to lose funding.  Turkeys voting for Christmas. Unfortunately, if the clubs voted for it, it becomes a non debate, even if a gun was held to their heads.
  • Options
    imo english football as a whole will benefit from the new EPPP rules. Bigger clubs with better coaches and facillities will be more likely to take a chance on a young british talent rather than those foreign imports.

Clubs are also getting money from the premier league to run their academies under this new agreement. 

Basically, I won't be signing this petition.
  • Options
    I have signed it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but:

What's it got to do with government?
    Hasn't the horse bolted already?
    EPPP - do you expect your average footie fan to know this jargon?
  • Options
    Credit to you for actually trying to do something. I have signed because it seems that the PL is holded a gun to everyone's head and saying 'do as you are told or else you'll get no money'. Now I freely admit that I am not as well informed on this as I would like to be, but not only do I detest the totalitarian tactics but I also believe that wider and more considered debate is  essential. Good luck.
  • Options
    Signed it.
  • Options
    The clubs had a chance to vote against it but chose to accept it. Not sure it's going to be that disastrous anyway.
  • Options
    I agree - rather than complain clubs have to look at how it can be turned to their benefit which is entirely possible.
  • Options
    The clubs had a chance to vote against it but chose to accept it. Not sure it's going to be that disastrous anyway.

Steve Kavanagh didn't vote for it, Large.
  • Options
    I've signed it, and I hope anyone who thinks its ok, reads the linked BBC report.

This is an example of what is fundamentally wrong with English football. It is totally unacceptable that one group of clubs, the Premier league, should dictate terms to and blackmail other clubs on matter like this. The Premier League as a separate entity should never have been allowed to come into existence, and should be abolished. Such things should be decided by an FA (but not one staffed by old farts in blazers).

There, I feel better now :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I posted about it when it first happened  did not think anyone was interested then.  signed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If a premier league club wants a player now they generally get him. Only they have to pay a million for him as Arsenal did with Jenkinson. This way as I understand it, they have to pay clubs money up front but less in a transfer. We would have been out of pocket in recent years through Shelvey and Jenkinson but there are other years when they dont spend big on our players. This provides a guaranteed income to help the academy.

The great opportunity is that the big premiership clubs are a) not the greatest prospect for a youngster because of their ability to bring in ready made foriegn players, and b) they offload some very decent players from their academies. I'm sure Charlton will maximise the potential this provides by a persuading many younsgters that the best career move is to stay and by using the geographical advantage we have to pick up the best premier league academy rejects from the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc...

It is better to adapt and look for the opportunities rather than moan about something that is definitely going to happen. Of our current squad, only Solly and Waggy were from the academy and I don't think we would have lost them whatever the system in place.
  • Options
    Signed
  • Options
    Signed
  • Options
    It is better to adapt and look for the opportunities rather than moan about something that is definitely going to happen. Of our current squad, only Solly and Waggy were from the academy and I don't think we would have lost them whatever the system in place.
    What an appalling outlook.  I imagine you waving in the third reich.