Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPad 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    I had a really good one with a shooting game.You had 15 shots to hit the little white dot as it whizzed across the screen. After I while I discovered that if you just shot at the numbers on the screen depicting the score a hit still registered. So I used to get 15/15 and beat my Dad everytime!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - this post should be ignored - like most of mine I suspect!

• Options
    Things have definitely changed quick. Im only 28 but never had a home PC or internet until I moved away to go uni at 21.
  • Options
    I think the iPad is great. Sure it's expensive, and it can't do what a Laptop can do, but it's a little awkward to hold a lap top to watch video in a car, and our laptops don't last long enough for a journey that takes more than a couple of hours. The same principle applies to a short foray on the internet when you're not at your desk - I leave my laptops at the desk in my office as it's too much trouble to unplug them from the monitor, the keyboard and the mouse etc.

I also think that the games (including and maybe even especially the free ones) are great for keeping children entertained on long journeys in the car or when being asked to sit around for ages.

Sure, the iPad is expensive and maybe it's not great value for money when compared to other things that you could do with £399, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do what it does very well.

Leroy I always find your posts to be intelligent and articulate but find it strange that you are so opposed to the Apple products.
  • Options
    A lot of IT guys who have spent their entire lives learning the insides and outs of Linux/Windows etc are 'opposed' to Apple products simply because they have no interest in relearning everything they've learnt on those two OS's again on OS X. That is the same reason I've never bought a mac. 
  • Options
    A lot of IT guys who have spent their entire lives learning the insides and outs of Linux/Windows etc are 'opposed' to Apple products simply because they have no interest in relearning everything they've learnt on those two OS's again on OS X. That is the same reason I've never bought a mac. 
    In the last 10 years it has changed massively though. The genius that was Steve Jobs managed to get an apple product in a huge % of homes around the world. Something that was for designers only is now part of a lifestyle choice for many
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aside from the obvious games such as angry birds, fruit ninja, FIFA there are some great educational apps on there. Yes iPads are expensive for what they are / can do but the simplicity of them gives them big advantages over laptops.

Just chuck into Google top children's iPad games, educational apps, etc. My 2.5yr old girl knows how to switch mine on, unlock it & open an app for her that has taught her to count beyond 10, learn the alphabet & is now teaching her to spell. I've found it to be a brilliant learning aid! The whole touch screen, interface etc has made this easier than a laptop ever would.

Yeah, you could use books, etc but it's kept her a lot more interested as its more fun! Def won't be a waste of cash if you want more out of it than just playing games. There are apps that will do word processing, biggest issue is getting it printed but is still possible direct from iPad. If not can just email or use Dropbox and pick it up from a PC.
  • Options
    Another good video/film converter is handbrake, I use that for loading DVD's to my iphone.
    is that easy DA9? My uncle mentioned that to me the other day.
  • Options
    I use Air Video on my iPad. Works a treat.
  • Options
    I use Air Video on my iPad. Works a treat.
    This...No need to ever put films on there with Air Video.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the last 10 years it has changed massively though. The genius that was Steve Jobs managed to get an apple product in a huge % of homes around the world. Something that was for designers only is now part of a lifestyle choice for many
    And nothing more - because there's nothing of any consequence you can do on an Apple that you can't do - and usually better and cheaper - on any other platform. Steve Jobs was a genius, absolutely. But Apple has lost the mobile platform market quite spectacularly to Android and their insistence on keeping everything the way they want it will undo them just as it did in the PC market. 

That said, one of my best mates has an iPad and the way they use it with their kids is brilliant.  A proper intuitive learning tool, and that's why I just bought one for my other half.  She'll use Sky Go etc, she'll let the kids use it only when productive for them.  They are excellent products, if more than a little pricey.
  • Options
    Another good video/film converter is handbrake, I use that for loading DVD's to my iphone.
    is that easy DA9? My uncle mentioned that to me the other day.

Dead easy, only ever had a problem with Wall-E but easily found the solution on the web. Ripped most of my DVD's onto my Mac.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the iPad is great. Sure it's expensive, and it can't do what a Laptop can do, but it's a little awkward to hold a lap top to watch video in a car, and our laptops don't last long enough for a journey that takes more than a couple of hours. The same principle applies to a short foray on the internet when you're not at your desk - I leave my laptops at the desk in my office as it's too much trouble to unplug them from the monitor, the keyboard and the mouse etc.

I also think that the games (including and maybe even especially the free ones) are great for keeping children entertained on long journeys in the car or when being asked to sit around for ages.

Sure, the iPad is expensive and maybe it's not great value for money when compared to other things that you could do with £399, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do what it does very well.

Leroy I always find your posts to be intelligent and articulate but find it strange that you are so opposed to the Apple products.
    I'm not opposed to the products per se. There's nothing wrong with them. There's just nothing especially great about them either. They are an indicator of why we're so f***ed as a society - people paying a premium for something because they think it's a lifestyle accessory. Steve Jobs was a fantastic marketer - he copied something that did nothing any better than the current incumbent, threw an Apple badge on it and 'exclusivised' it, making morons queue for two days to pay over the odds for something they didn't need. Genius.

And to the poster above who said that IT people don't like Apple because they don't want to have to learn it after spending years learning Windows/Linux - not true. We don't like Apple because every xmas some f***ing idiot in senior management gets an imac/iphone/ipad/ilikelookinglikei'mcuttingedge device and then brings it in to the office in the new years waving it around asking loudly to all and sundry why he can't 'get his emails' on it (after you've spent 200 grand on a new mail system, hardware and software to secure it).
  • Options
    I'm not opposed to the products per se. There's nothing wrong with them. There's just nothing especially great about them either. They are an indicator of why we're so f***ed as a society - people paying a premium for something because they think it's a lifestyle accessory. Steve Jobs was a fantastic marketer - he copied something that did nothing any better than the current incumbent, threw an Apple badge on it and 'exclusivised' it, making morons queue for two days to pay over the odds for something they didn't need. Genius.
    Spot on Leroy!
  • Options
    +1 for Handrbrake.  Excellent piece of software for video file conversion.
  • Options
    +1 for Handrbrake.  Excellent piece of software for video file conversion.
    I use it too.

• Options
    What software do you gents use to decrypt the DVD first?
  • Options
    Handbrake (on a Mac) does the job fine
  • Options
    So you don't need to decrypt the DVD first? 
  • Options
    Nope, rips straight into an MP4 file
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You do sometimes actually, all depends on the disc. I'm finding the need to more and more with some new Blu Rays. If you ever come across that problem use AnyDVD.

• Options
    i can't watch a load of stuff on real player or flash supported, how do i get around that please?
  • Options
    I have a laptop and an ipad2 and I rarely turn the laptop on these days. Tech nerds hate apple because it's locked down and they can't mess with it and fiddle and tweak. Great kit.
  • Options

You do sometimes actually, all depends on the disc. I'm finding the need to more and more with some new Blu Rays. If you ever come across that problem use AnyDVD.

Macs don't have Blueray drives :-/
  • Options

I still had the problem with DVDs, but i've worked it out now. Handbrake wanted me to download VLC and put it in the Applications folder, whereas I had it on my desktop. Am now ripping Xmas present DVDs so i can watch them on the train on my phone.
  • Options

Doesn't mean they can't have.