Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Couple of questions for all you CAFC fans.

edited December 2011 in General Charlton
Dear All,

As a local, I have been avidly reading your post match views over the season and I have to say, you guys are a knowledgeable lot. Would be very interested in your comments on;

1) There's obviously a lot of respect and love for SCP. What makes him so special to CAFC fans - is it is character or just that he's winning games?

2) Do you think he's got more sense, than say Paul Ince, to not jump ship at the first opportunity to manage a Premier League club and when, if at all, do think another club will come knocking for his services?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    1. I have the privilege to sit in on the press conferences, he is the whole package. Put a team together to win games as well as his personality shining through. A couple of months back I was at the training ground, as we were leaving CP walked past and without needing too said goodbye. Also whilst I was interviewing Paul Geary the groundsman there he heckled us.

It's hard to explain but I think I have a man crush!

2. Simple answer, yes. Paul Ince is too big for his boots, you cannot compare. 
  • Options
    His affinity with the club extends further than his stewardship , we are his club in according to his own words

He I believe was always going to be given time due to his time as a player
  • Options
    1. Even as a player he didn't moan, play dirty or sulk. He gives his all to the club and always has. Even last year when we went on that long winless run the majority of our support refused to get on his back. He inspires faith. 

2. Another club might come for him sure, but CP isn't the type of man to leave with unfinished business. I have no fear of him leaving us for a long time yet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dear All,

As a local, I have been avidly reading your post match views over the season and I have to say, you guys are a knowledgeable lot. Would be very interested in your comments on;

1) There's obviously a lot of respect and love for SCP. What makes him so special to CAFC fans - is it is character or just that he's winning games?

2) Do you think he's got more sense, than say Paul Ince, to not jump ship at the first opportunity to manage a Premier League club and when, if at all, do think another club will come knocking for his services?

Cheers

1. He signed as a player three times yet unlike some players when he left for fresher pastures no one resented his departure and each time he was welcomed back. As a player he kept himself fit, worked hard and always put a shift in and played with a smile on his face while off the park he had time for the fans and you never felt that the pro-footballer thing had gone to his head. On one of his last incarnations as a player he started a tradition which some might have regarded as hubristic - of jumping out of the tunnel after home wins to the delight of the Covered End. This is on youtube somewhere, with Powelly it suited his character and personality.

2. You should never say never, but I get the impression that CP knows exactly what he's doing, where he's going and how to go about getting it, for that reason I think he'll be here for a few years yet while he learns how to become a manager. Then who knows. I'd credit him too with knowing his own mind. After taking over in January he systematically gutted what was a very ordinary team but has put together a squad with the right balance of skill and tenacity, not too dirty but not a pushover and one that plays football in the style he wants to see. Clearly he's worked hard not just to identify players with the right skills but also the correct temperament. For the first time in about a decade I feel that we have a genuine Charlton team of players who have a common goal and ambition. I say about a decade because after the Curbs side of 1998-2002/3 began to dismantle we only rarely have had or seen such a cohesive and collective spirit.

• Options
    When he leaves us I think it will be for a special job (England). His loyalty to us will exceed any other club -even Spurs -the club he supported as a boy.
  • Options
    I think we can say it's working out beyond our wildest dreams and long may it continue. He just seems to have that something. I'm in love with 4 things. My better half, my boys, my Charlton and Mr Chrissie Powell  :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The man is a legend! When my time comes and I'm pondering my life and loves I'm certain he'll cross my mind. With all the unworthy scrotes who've played Billy Big Spuds just because they're pro players, it's been a privilige to have such a genuinely nice bloke associated with our beloved club.
    Only place I can seeing him ending in is the England hotseat!
  • Options

1) In addition to all the points made above, for me, there's just something extra special about him as a human being. He just seems to be one of those people that you feel you can trust, a man that has enormous integrity, decency and humanity.

2) I think CP may be destined for higher things in the fullness of time, I'm just going to relish every minute that we have him.

• Options
    I cant speak for others, but in my opinion, my adoration of Chris Powell is based on one simple truth.

In a country that increasingly values ignorance over intelligence, hype over content, PR and spin over content, volume over quality, a place where honest, decent good-hearted individuals take second place, Mr Chris Powell is a good man getting what he deserves.

It is even sweeter because many 'fans' doubted him as he tried to re-organise the team.
    If karma works in a single lifetime, Chris Powell will go on to equal Curbs and Lawrence as a Charlton modern-era hero.

• Options
    Chris Powell has personal qualities not too often found in many footballers.

That is primarily why he is so highly regarded over and above playing 250 plus matches and being arguably the best left back we've had in the history of the Club plus his present managerial role.

Speak to the fans of any of his former clubs and they all have a high regard for him.

It's not just us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Powell has personal qualities not too often found in many footballers.

That is primarily why he is so highly regarded over and above playing 250 plus matches and being arguably the best left back we've had in the history of the Club plus his present managerial role.

Speak to the fans of any of his former clubs and they all have a high regard for him.

It's not just us.
    Couldn't have put it better.

ALL fans of clubs He's played for Love the fella.
  • Options
    Actually isn't it more than time that he got an OBE???

• Options

Think Keith Peacock should be before Him.
  • Options
    Talking of which....How does someone get "Nominated" for a award ?
  • Options
    he was also a leading light in the PFA

Giving back to the game he loves has always been part of his make up
  • Options
    it is love. simples
  • Options

I reckon he's ahead of Keith for reasons like: being so respected by the fans of all clubs he played for, never getting a red card (I think), his work for the PFA, finally being capped for England at an age other players would give up on, and now his successful transition to management, all while retaining his unique sunny and generous disposition. KP is a great guy, I agree, but he hasn't quite achieved what CP has.

I think we can nominate him with a petition...
  • Options

I reckon he's ahead of Keith for reasons like: being so respected by the fans of all clubs he played for, never getting a red card (I think), his work for the PFA, finally being capped for England at an age other players would give up on, and now his successful transition to management, all while retaining his unique sunny and generous disposition. KP is a great guy, I agree, but he hasn't quite achieved what CP has.

I think we can nominate him with a petition...
    I'd happily sign up and I think that many football fans (not just Charlton fans) would too.
    CP is a true gentleman. 
  • Options
    1.  the regard that the fans have for CP stretch back to his multiple associations with the club as a player and now manager.  This held him in good stead when he had a poor start to his managerial career, although he was not immune from abuse after one particularly poor result.  In the summer he was able to dismantle the team of his predecessors and put together the team he wanted, helped by a board that backed him.  He is far from the finished article and during this season he has made mistakes but he does seem to be learning from them and we cannot ask for anything more.  Time will tell how good he is, but after a year in charge (or so) and a rough start he is delivering and he has a lot of goodwill in credit that predecessors including Curbs did not.

If we get the success we want then it is inevitable that he will have suitors, promotion this season and a mid table position next season expect to have teams knocking on his door.  At some stage he will go, it is almost inevitable but it will be a carefully thought out move which will move him forward in his career and not necessarily a jump at the first offer.  If and when he goes it will be a heart wrenching decision for him and us, but I don't expect it for at least a couple of seasons, even though in May of this year I did not expect to see him here now.