Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Writing for Charlton

edited December 2011 in General Charlton
I've recently graduated university in English, and my ideal job is to write the matchday programmes for Charlton one day, combining English and my love of CAFC. I have emailed both Gary Haines and Matt Wright at their CAFC emails several times and never had a response. Can anyone offer any advice on how to get in touch with them? or how to pursue a career like theirs any other way?

Comments

• Options
    i'll email you there addresses so you can go knock on their front door !

You're more than welcome to to start writing some articles for this site, door is open to everyone. Send me a private message if you fancy it.
  • Options
    I've recently graduated university in English, and my ideal job is to write the matchday programmes for Charlton one day, combining English and my love of CAFC. I have emailed both Gary Haines and Matt Wright at their CAFC emails several times and never had a response. Can anyone offer any advice on how to get in touch with them? or how to pursue a career like theirs any other way?

Highly unusual for Club personnel to not respond to emails.

Good luck for the future and hope you fulfill your ambition.

• Options
    Try contacting Liam Happe.
  • Options
    Try contacting Liam Happe.
    or airman whisper on here?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So you're saying you want their jobs and expect them to reply...............? LOL
  • Options
    Go on Twitter and read @LiamHappe

Alot of hard work, but fully deserved where He is Today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Might have more success if you send them an article to consider for inclusion in the programme. When Saturday Comes magazine regularly publishes articles by one-off contributors, some of whom become regular contributors.

As an aside, I have, tucked away in my loft somewhere, a very nice letter from Airman Brown from about 17 years ago, politely turning down my request for work experience when he was sports editor at The Mercury - could have been the next Henry Winter by now if it wasn't for that (and the umpteen other less polite rejections I got)!
  • Options
    Not interested in their jobs just yet, just doing some free work and starting to get my name in the right places. Bartram will message you tomorrow! Thanks everyone really appreciate it
  • Options
    Wallin - I've done the same, and am currently sitting at a University open day/interview in Southampmton so am a few years behind you! But it's interesting to see that someone has the same ambition.

I have been in touch with both Gary and Matt in the past, both of which had turned down work experience, simply due to the "lack of resource" to make it happen. (think their jobs are quite safe to be honest!)

Gary has phoned me before and written an article about me in a programme once, called "Mr. Brightside", after i was spotted with my "Always look on the bright side of life" banner in the north upper. Apart from a picture in the Mail on Sunday and an article in the programme, it hasn't lead to anything else.

Stay true to Charlton Life, and maybe you'll one day become the site administrator! Haha, seems a more realistic dream for me, at least!

Good luck to you
    COYR

• Options
    Don't ever write for the programme.

They lead you on, let you do a column for a few years then chuck you when they get a better offer from an Arsenal fan. Not that I'm bitter :- )

Consider AFKA's offer to write for Charlton Life. It will bring you to a wider audience and give you some feedback (mostly constructive) on your style and content. You'll also have a body of work to show to other outlets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wallin. I have similiar ambitions to yourself and made contact on here during the week after setting up a blog for my writing. Am on a train to exeter at the moment to write a report on todays game for both charlton life and dave lockwood. So this site is probably your best bet!!
  • Options
    AlexAnder I noticed your post the other day. I work Saturdays so have difficulty attending matches. I have been in contact with AFKA though and sent him some of my other sports writing in the hope that I can then begin some work for here. I have managed to get out of Valentines feb 14th so may do a match report for that game. It then looks like continuing to write on here will be the way forward
  • Options
    I assume you applied for the jobs advertised recently?
    You are better off going to lower non-league games and writing for a local paper for them to get some experience.
    And almost all trainee journos want to be sports writers you really have to think about how/why you will suceed where most fail.
    One last warning - be careful what you wish for, this season might be good but consider how you would have felt in a relegation season, watching your club fail every week and having to write about it. Theres a reason Gary's a west ham fan...
  • Options
    Jobs Advertised?

I have tried to contact my local club (Cambridge United by the way), but haven't heard anything back. With the CL site, I felt there was more to offer working with Charlton. Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's also reassuring to know there are others out their in similar positions. Could provide some interesting competition
  • Options
    Try starting your own blog - that way you can practice and hone your skills and have something you can show potential employees.
  • Options
    Try starting your own blog - that way you can practice and hone your skills and have something you can show potential employees.
    Hmm - show potential employEES so creating more competition, surely you meant show potential employERS? ;-)