Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Options
    Saga Lout said:
    This is extremely subjective and maybe off topic, also purely based on my personal musical life experience, but I'll say it anyway. By all means learn your instrument whichever one it may be, but do yourself a favour, get over the barrier and study music theory so you understand the musical logic of songs you are working on. It's just a language, and the connection with every piece you are playing is unique as you are able to understand how masters navigate riddles and come to solutions in their compositions - be it Bach or Donald Fagen. Also it allows for bigger challenges when playing with others, as you are all 'on the same page' sorry for the long scroll but I just jumped on the piano during half time (France vs Germany) and transposed Harold Arlen's 1935 'Last night when we were young' (a forgotten gem) as in 2 hours a trumpet playing friend is arriving for a rehearsal (Trumpet is a Bb instrument - for those who don't read music, which means the sheet music has to be slightly altered). The process would have been identical on the Guitar.
    Just a thought...

I've been playing for over 50 years and I think this is great advice. I've gone back to looking at a bit of musical theory over lockdown but at my age getting anything to stay in my brain is a bit of a challenge. So, I wish I'd spent a bit of time on it between leaving school and now. The book I got was Jazz theory and it wasn't specific to the guitar.
    Yeah, wish I'd learned music theory properly when I was a youngster.

I've picked up bits and pieces over the years, as I needed it - taken in some of the basics but not thoroughly learned much else apart from a few other random bits.

Note to self: never too late to do it!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Saga Lout said:
    This is extremely subjective and maybe off topic, also purely based on my personal musical life experience, but I'll say it anyway. By all means learn your instrument whichever one it may be, but do yourself a favour, get over the barrier and study music theory so you understand the musical logic of songs you are working on. It's just a language, and the connection with every piece you are playing is unique as you are able to understand how masters navigate riddles and come to solutions in their compositions - be it Bach or Donald Fagen. Also it allows for bigger challenges when playing with others, as you are all 'on the same page' sorry for the long scroll but I just jumped on the piano during half time (France vs Germany) and transposed Harold Arlen's 1935 'Last night when we were young' (a forgotten gem) as in 2 hours a trumpet playing friend is arriving for a rehearsal (Trumpet is a Bb instrument - for those who don't read music, which means the sheet music has to be slightly altered). The process would have been identical on the Guitar.
    Just a thought...

I've been playing for over 50 years and I think this is great advice. I've gone back to looking at a bit of musical theory over lockdown but at my age getting anything to stay in my brain is a bit of a challenge. So, I wish I'd spent a bit of time on it between leaving school and now. The book I got was Jazz theory and it wasn't specific to the guitar.

I've picked up bits and pieces over the years, as I needed it - taken in some of the basics but not thoroughly learned much else apart from a few other random bits.

What works for me is always beginning with theory which is relevant to what I'm listening /playing on a given day. It makes sense, it's fun, and fun keeps me coming back for more.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Just a thought...

What works for me is always beginning with theory which is relevant to what I'm listening /playing on a given day. It makes sense, it's fun, and fun keeps me coming back for more.
    Sound advice, thanks Lenny. I'll try and take that on board. 

• Options
    When the fun stops stop: as they say!
  • Options
    I may have his nationality wrong,he is probably Hawaiin .I came across this guy purely by accident.There are some really fine guitarists out there who are really not well known,another of my favourites is Molly Tuttle,a blue grass flat picker.And if all you old codgers like me are still stuck in the bedroom,want to see something really soul destroying,check out the 6 year old Chinese girl playing Hotel Califiornia.i
  • Options
    I may have his nationality wrong,he is probably Hawaiin .I came across this guy purely by accident.There are some really fine guitarists out there who are really not well known,another of my favourites is Molly Tuttle,a blue grass flat picker.And if all you old codgers like me are still stuck in the bedroom,want to see something really soul destroying,check out the 6 year old Chinese girl playing Hotel Califiornia.i
    Or Josh Meader playing anything.
  • Options
    Or Josh Meader playing anything.
    Well.i confess to not having heard Josh play prior to your comment,what have I been missing,this kid is really up there with the Martin Taylors and Djangos of the jazz guitar(and probably anything else he chooses to play) What really pisses me off,is I remember when I first started,the agonies and frustrations of those first easy chords,the blistered finger tips just to master the most simple of tunes.Then you get this kid,waltzing through Reindhart numbers like he could be just sitting there having a chat with his mates with no apparent effort.hanks for the tip,I will look out for more of his music.
    I would recommend another favourite of mine,Clive Carrol,he is a very good acoustic player,and often plays at some small venues in the Greenwich area.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Aaron Marshall
    Plini
    Sithu Aye
    are all worth a look on Youtube.

And one i completely missed in the 70's. Alan Holdsworth.
  • Options
    Anyone know much or recommend these amps, I have a small practice amp that I’ve plugged into for the first time as I’ve been learning without using one and the quality is awful. I’d rather not go down the millions of effects pedals route so thought this may suit. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Anyone know much or recommend these amps, I have a small practice amp that I’ve plugged into for the first time as I’ve been learning without using one and the quality is awful. I’d rather not go down the millions of effects pedals route so thought this may suit. 
    If you've got an iphone this is better and cheaper. Download the tonebridge app.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    If you've got an iphone this is better and cheaper. Download the tonebridge app.
    Hi @Baldybonce

What does an iRig interface do that a Spark amp can't?  I know almost nothing about iRig, but I would be interested to know what makes it 'better', because the Spark amp, with the associated app, seems a brilliant bit of kit.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:
    Hi @Baldybonce

What does an iRig interface do that a Spark amp can't?  I know almost nothing about iRig, but I would be interested to know what makes it 'better', because the Spark amp, with the associated app, seems a brilliant bit of kit.  

Better imo because you don't need an amp. Just headphones and leads. A saving of about £100 helps.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:
    Hi @Baldybonce

Better imo because you don't need an amp. Just headphones and leads. A saving of about £100 helps.
    I assume you can’t blow up the phone if the volume was to high?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:
    Hi @Baldybonce

Confused by the choices, which one does the job? 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:
    Hi @Baldybonce

I don't think so.
  • Options
    @Baldybonce
    which one is needed? 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    @Baldybonce
    which one is needed? 
    The £86 digital. A lead and decent headphones.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I've been getting into production recently and I'd really like to record guitar onto my computer to put on some tracks. 

Can anyone advise the best way of going about it? I've read that a usb-guitar interface is the quickest option but some corners of the web disapprove. It would be for an electro-acoustic and an electric so going through an amp is an option.
  • Options
    I would buy an external sound card. Gives you the option to line in or mic up.

Focusritre do some good ones, this is a great place to start.

Think about connectivity, are you recording on a laptop? Eg do you need a usb-c connection?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface-3rd-gen/927802?gclid=CjwKCAjwrfCRBhAXEiwAnkmKmbBRG2X_ci_DsyCXcHcvc9uHUP6kIX7xc1UccUjvPRZQ9UVqT7O1URoCZ3QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:
    Just picked up a Gretsch Country Gent to play over the weekend from my local dealer - what a beautiful guitar, sounds great with my Twin Reverb ;-)
    Did you keep it, @Oakster?  
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I've been getting into production recently and I'd really like to record guitar onto my computer to put on some tracks. 

Can anyone advise the best way of going about it? I've read that a usb-guitar interface is the quickest option but some corners of the web disapprove. It would be for an electro-acoustic and an electric so going through an amp is an option.
    What DAW do you use @Chunes
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Chizz said:
    Chunes said:

I've recently switched to Ableton. Although I'm having a hard time of it at the moment.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chizz said:
    Chunes said:

I've recently switched to Ableton. Although I'm having a hard time of it at the moment.
    I can help if you need it?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chizz said:
    Chunes said:

Thanks mate, that would be brilliant. I'll reach out next time I run into something.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chizz said:
    Chunes said:

Thanks mate, that would be brilliant. I'll reach out next time I run into something.
    👍🏻
  • Options
    How are you getting on with Ableton, @Chunes
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Nice of you to ask, @Chizz. I did really struggle with Ableton. Even simple things like trying to get a sample to loop four bars, but discovering you have to set those little parameter-thingies at 1-5 instead of 1-4 to do that (what the hell?). Then I got distracted moving house and the free trial ran out. It's a lot of money to buy the software when I know how much I've got to learn before I can even start making some decent music on it.

For now, I think I'm going to learn synths properly before I dive back into that. I might even do a weekend course if I can find one. 

How did you learn Ableton?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Nice of you to ask, @Chizz. I did really struggle with Ableton. Even simple things like trying to get a sample to loop four bars, but discovering you have to set those little parameter-thingies at 1-5 instead of 1-4 to do that (what the hell?). Then I got distracted moving house and the free trial ran out. It's a lot of money to buy the software when I know how much I've got to learn before I can even start making some decent music on it.

For now, I think I'm going to learn synths properly before I dive back into that. I might even do a weekend course if I can find one. 

How did you learn Ableton?
    You know the level you were at *before* you took out a free trial?  That's where I am right now...