Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Henry's Greatest Goal

Here is the clip on the BBC site, for the goal that Thierry Henry described as his greatest for Arsenal:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16365967.stm

Does anyone else wonder how good a goal it would have been, if Jamie Carragher didn't fall over as soon as Henry got within 2 feet of him?

Comments

• Options
    I am sick and tired of reading and hearing about Henry and Beckham .. they are over the hill money grabbers and it's about time they put on the slippers and dressing gown and retired to the country
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am sick and tired of reading and hearing about Henry and Beckham .. they are over the hill money grabbers and it's about time they put on the slippers and dressing gown and retired to the country
    Is that the Arsenal Henry or the CL Henry Lincs?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

CL Henry is a respected and learned CAFC pundit, raconteur and historian (it says 'ere), Thierry H is a superannuated and one time very talented glamour boy who went west to further consolidate his fortune after cheating Ireland out of a world cup spot .. I'll rest my case

p.s. I neglected to mention Henry I's penchant for raffling and auctioneering second hand gear and catering for the nostalgia market

• Options

CL Henry is a respected and learned CAFC pundit, raconteur and historian (it says 'ere), Thierry H is a superannuated and one time very talented glamour boy who went west to further consolidate his fortune after cheating Ireland out of a world cup spot .. I'll rest my case

p.s. I neglected to mention Henry I's penchant for raffling and auctioneering second hand gear and catering for the nostalgia market

Your case is very weak, as per usual. 

Thierry Henry is one of the finest players to have ever graced English football.
  • Options
    Yet you're the first person to post on a thread who's title clearly tells you it will be about Henry.

Weird.

• Options

Lincolnshire perhaps ?
  • Options

Your case is very weak, as per usual. 

Thierry Henry is one of the finest players to have ever graced English football.
    what 'case' is that ? and so what that (in your over inflated opinion) Henry was etc etc etc .. he is 34 and should voom vroom off somewhere else to make his money and give someone else a chance. All the time he's hanging around posing and preening,  players such as Chamberlain will not get a chance. If the Emirates Stadium had not cost such a fortune, Arsenal would be in a position to buy some real younger talent and not have to rely on one time great players who are simply past it .. I hear that Stoke are digging up the bones of Stanley Matthews next week .. and Derek Hales will be on the bench at Fulham 
  • Options
    errrr... the last sentence was not intended to be taken seriously b t w .. just in case
  • Options
    errrr... the last sentence was not intended to be taken seriously b t w .. just in case
    I don't think anyone on here takes the drivel you spout seriously, not to worry!
  • Options
    You are absolutely ludicrous. Arsenal's stadium was financed in the most efficient way possible - without a sugar daddy billionaire to build it for them and lacking the preposterous 'supporter' saturation in the far east that bankrolls Man Utd they have built a fantastic stadium (albeit filled it with the same lack of atmosphere as existed at Highbury). You will not find a better example of a modern football club expanding its capacity and modernising its facilities anywhere in Britain (and I say that as someone who has had a long-standing dislike of Arsenal).

In addition to this, Thierry Henry is, by any argument at least in the top three best players every to play in the Premier League. He is still a world-class footballer, obviously loves the club, is adored by the fans, knows the way Arsenal play and Wenger's training methods inside out and fills the African Nations Cup gap for two months instead of Arsenal having to go out and sign someone on a short-term loan in the transfer window at a ridiculously inflated price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leroy is dead right you know.
  • Options
    Leroy did indeed sum it up beautifully (although the explanation was wasted on our deluded comrade).

I would also add that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will undoubtedly be relishing the opportunity to train with and learn from a living legend at the club he is currently employed with. Somehow I just can't imagine him sitting there thinking, "Oh that Thierry Henry, scuppering my chances of getting a game for the next two months! Grr!" 

How you managed to do so will remain a mystery.

• Options
    I wonder if he will actually smile for once if he scores this time

arrogant french prick
  • Options
    Fantastic player; scored some brilliant goals.  Sadly, several against us.

I'm not sure that the one at the top is best at all.  Check these out if you admire his football, but you might just want to skip numbers 17, 12 and 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5jBnTn9hU

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You are absolutely ludicrous. Arsenal's stadium was financed in the most efficient way possible - without a sugar daddy billionaire to build it for them and lacking the preposterous 'supporter' saturation in the far east that bankrolls Man Utd they have built a fantastic stadium (albeit filled it with the same lack of atmosphere as existed at Highbury). You will not find a better example of a modern football club expanding its capacity and modernising its facilities anywhere in Britain (and I say that as someone who has had a long-standing dislike of Arsenal).

In addition to this, Thierry Henry is, by any argument at least in the top three best players every to play in the Premier League. He is still a world-class footballer, obviously loves the club, is adored by the fans, knows the way Arsenal play and Wenger's training methods inside out and fills the African Nations Cup gap for two months instead of Arsenal having to go out and sign someone on a short-term loan in the transfer window at a ridiculously inflated price.
    we will see .. I consider Henry's resurrection as a publicity stunt, nothing more and nothing less. As for 'ludicrous', on what do you base your knowledge (or is it mere hope and opinion) that Henry is still a 'world class footballer' ?  And you know as well as me that Man Utd's financial position is very precarious due to the huge interest bill taken on by the Glazers in their financial dealings to buy the club and this despite the fact that the Manchester United brand is, as you state, a huge export success especially in the far east. A successful club needs a successful team to fill the stadium. We will soon be seeing gaps at the Emirates when the thrill of sitting in a fine stadium yet having to watch an unsuccessful team wears thin with the Gunner Brigade. And billionaire sugar daddies? .. I give you the late Danny Fiszman, diamond dealer extraordinaire and Stan Kroenke (married to one of Sam Walton's daughters and a billionaire propery developer) as well as the Hill Woods who own a slice of Hambros bank amongst other baubles and beads. Men do not become billionaires by throwing money away for white elephants to trample on.  The billionaires did not pay for the stadium because, I suspect the Arsenal money men saw the precarious financial state of even the most succesful clubs and preferred to finance the stadium through future season ticket sales and revenues. This leads me back to my original point in that the stadium financing leaves Wenger with little money for buying players and necessitates the signing of old has beens such as Henry, though the panic buys Arteta and Mertesacker have done OK.  As for Henry's goals? .. I saw him score a beauty at the Valley , so beautiful because of its simplicity  .. the ball was played to him on the edge of the area, slightly behind him and he just wrapped his foot around the ball and slammed it along the ground into the net, a goal from nothing, if memory serves this was in 2002
  • Options
    Henry is the best player ive seen play in my lifetime, I doubt Messi could do what he does in La Liga in the prem.

Saying that, at 34, dont believe he'l be anything like he was.
    Also dont think its a stunt. Think Henry just wants to play for the club he loves. Not sure its what Wenger needs right now though, although havnt understood his decisions for a while.
  • Options
    When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was going to be that sodding backheel he scored against us. Fortune had done just about everything possible to ensure Henry couldn't move, to the point I thought it had to be a pen, then Henry bloody went and did that. Unbelievable
  • Options
    Fantastic player; scored some brilliant goals.  Sadly, several against us.

I'm not sure that the one at the top is best at all.  Check these out if you admire his football, but you might just want to skip numbers 17, 12 and 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5jBnTn9hU

Some amazing goals there.  I agree, the one at the top isn't the best - the fact that the main central defender jumps out of his way does help him somewhat; still, it's what Henry himself considers his greatest.  Goal number 1 on that youtube video is a goal I don't think I'd ever seen from the 'normal' angle.
  • Options
    When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was going to be that sodding backheel he scored against us. Fortune had done just about everything possible to ensure Henry couldn't move, to the point I thought it had to be a pen, then Henry bloody went and did that. Unbelievable
    You mean when Henry fouled Fortune (by grabbing a handful of his shirt so he couldn't move) but all of the pundits overlooked that slight misdemeanor? 
  • Options
    Is this the same Terry Henry that cheated the Irish ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was a big fan of Henry but people are right about controversial build ups to his goals sometimes being overlooked. Carragher falling over, Fortune being fouled and an Arsenal player whose name escapes me purposely blocking Kiely's view so he had no chance of saving THAT free kick. I'm sure there's more.
  • Options
    Can I also say that it is for a 2 month loan while Gervinho and Chamakh are at the African Cup. They would be short of cover otherwise. An experienced player who knows the club, the fans adore him and he can guide some of the younger lads a bit. Makes sense to me
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FAIL - absolute bloody fail
    There is nothing remarkable or difficult in that goal - in fact Fortune got so far up his arse that a back heel was the only option left to him.
    If it had happened up the other end it wouldn't have merited a mention beyond the next game.
    A typical case of commentators creaming themselves just because it was Henry.

I rather liked that goal he teed up and scored against Manure.

Oh and by the way he's not as good as Bergkamp
  • Options
    Be fair though Smokey, not many strikers have the flair to try it even if it's not that hard a skill.

I agree Berkamp had the more outstanding technique and is probably the most technically gifted player to have graced these shores, at least at club level, but Henry had a potent package of skill and physical attributes - he was like a race horse once he got into his stride. For the number of goals he scored and the consistent contribution he made to one of the all time great english club sides he has to be given his dues. Bergkamp was a bit more mercurial and less consistent. What a player at his best though.
  • Options
    I was a big fan of Henry but people are right about controversial build ups to his goals sometimes being overlooked. Carragher falling over, Fortune being fouled and an Arsenal player whose name escapes me purposely blocking Kiely's view so he had no chance of saving THAT free kick. I'm sure there's more.
    yeah , the moody penalty they got against us in the 4-2 at the library