Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Hughes - Should He Be Playing Alongside Danny Hollands?

If fit , I think he should , we went on a long unbeaten run when he came into the team, also helps Hollands bomb forward and score , Russell is technically good , but he doesn't seem to create a lot of chances for Kermit & BWP as well, so c'mon CP bring him back! what do you think?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Been saying this for the last 3 games, Russell and Hollands are too similar and lack chemistry.
  • edited December 2011
    I think  he may well start against Brentford given that we played so long with 10 men today.

One way of injecting some fresh legs and energy. I also thought Russell might have to return to Preston after today given the terms of his loan and the sacking of the orange one but could be wrong about that.
  • Russell is overwhelmingly average. Hughes in.
  • Think we need to consider buying another creative central midfielder, although depends how long it is untill Stephens starts playing again.
  • Yes thought russell struggled today in the midfield battle.
  • I like Hughes workmanlike attitude doing the simple things well and yes when he has played he does make an impact and I cant say the same about Russel
  • honestly don't think it would have made any difference, russell was no worse than many others tonight, my biggest worry was the lack of pace at centre back
  • Still think Hughes has been hard done by should never have been dropped after coming into the team and winning all 6 games. what has this done to his confidence though?
  • Hughes has been very harshly treated.

He did nothing to warrant being dropped. More importantly Hollands is much more effective alongside Hughes.
  • Saw AH in Blackheath tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hughes has been very harshly treated.

He did nothing to warrant being dropped. More importantly Hollands is much more effective alongside Hughes.
    Agree with this - Hughes's tenacious defensive approach seemed to give Hollands licence to get forward more, underlined by the goals he got in those games. It looked like they had an understanding and both did their roles well, this provided a solid core to the midfield and the results speak for themselves.

Hollands and Russel at orient seemed disjointed, perhaps both were trying to do the same thing?
    Did you say anything to the lad?
  • edited January 2012
    Hughes has been very harshly treated.

Agree with this - Hughes's tenacious defensive approach seemed to give Hollands licence to get forward more, underlined by the goals he got in those games. It looked like they had an understanding and both did their roles well, this provided a solid core to the midfield and the results speak for themselves.

Hollands and Russel at orient seemed disjointed, perhaps both were trying to do the same thing?
    Russel offers more than Hughes IMO and that of SCP which is the one that matters. Apart from the fullbacks the whole team looked disjointed last night given the circumstances.
  • Yes results were great whilst hughes was in the team but just as they were great with waggy and hayes in the team but it didn't stop the team being improved with green and kermy taking over
    I think hughes is a steady eddie who might save a game but he hasn't got enough about him to warrant a regular starting place imo
  • Yes he should be.  Don't particulalry rate russel, if not Hughes then Pritchard looks very good to me.
  • Isn't the difference that both results and performances haven't improved (or just carried on) since Hughes was dropped?

Can't judge Russell on yesterday's game but the balance of the team looked better with Hughes. Green's not great defensively so Hughes gives him more cover and it also frees up Hollands that bit more.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the midfield over the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a new CM.
  • In a word, Yes
  • No is the answer to this question in my opinion. I don't think Russell is anything special but he is technically better than Hughes and has a better engine. I'm not sure why we bothered with back up players like Euell & Hughes full stop to be honest. We could have got 1 decent CM for the wages we're paying them.
  • I think  he may well start against Brentford given that we played so long with 10 men today.

One way of injecting some fresh legs and energy. I also thought Russell might have to return to Preston after today given the terms of his loan and the sacking of the orange one but could be wrong about that.

This
  • I think Russell is a decent midfield player but a different type of player to Hughes.   

Lately it has looked like we could do with the energy and defensive quality of Hughes back in the midfield. Also the clean sheets seem to have dried up yet the defence is the same so wonder if Hughes missing is the factor.   Although I don't think Russell has done anything wrong, sometimes it comes down to blend and some players being a good foil for others to function better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Russel isn't a bad player, he's just too alike to Hollands. Hughes allows Hollands to venture forward a lot more which is what benefited us. I think Russel was brought straight in due to his technical ability and that was needed in the first half vs Huddersfield. Hughes came on in the second to keep things tight at the back. That's why Hughes was dropped IMO.

Hughes should start next game though instead of Russel. However I would liike to see Pritchard be rewarded with a start.
  • Yes. Should never have been dropped in the first place. Hollands was much better with Hughes & Stephens.

• Hughes was in the side while we had good results but is an average player. No composure on ball when pressed, poor passing, no quality. Question should be Russell or Pritchard? BP underused IMHO.
  • Would freshen the midfield up tomorrow due to games in 3 days but I would personally go with Hollands and Pritchard.

• Would freshen the midfield up tomorrow due to games in 3 days but I would personally go with Hollands and Pritchard.

I agree, thought Pritchard looked good but still think we miss Stephens him and Hollands look good together.
  • and in 3 weeks time Dale Stephens is fit, and will get back in. If we miss anything is someone who can just put his foot on it, and pick a pass
  • Can't wait for Dale to get back, loved watching him early season. No doubt about it, we've definitely missed him.
  • I thought that the team had a far more balanced look when Hughes was playing along side Danny Hollands. Plus the team was far more attack minded that resulted in us scoring far more goals than we have since Russell has been paying.   
  • Is it still three weeks before Stephens comes back? I was hoping he he would be back for the Sheffield U game. I don't think Jackson, Hollands, Stephens and Green have played as a unit yet. That is a midfield of real quality in this league.
    Did you say anything to the lad?
    No i was parking the car very badly! Managed to get out of the space without pranging his car
    (Woman Driver!)