Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premium bonds

Anyone got them, had luck on them, give reasons not to get them???
Thinking of getting kids some for birthdays

Taaaaa

Comments

• Options

Statistically, the average rate of return, ie winnings compared to amount invested is a shade over 2%. So statistically,you'd be better off sticking your money in a savings a/c paying more.

However, it's a lottery that you keep your stake money.

I know hundreds of people that have them & the consensus is you either seem to win often or never at all. 

• Options
    My mum brought some for my children when they were born; they're now 10 and 8 and haven't one a penny!
  • Options
    My nan bought me some when I was born (37 years ago) and I've never won anything :(

Still keeping my fingers crossed... it's getting uncomfortable now.
  • Options

I win £25 or £50 every couple of months. Always hoping when the cheques arrive they'll have a few more noughts on them.

Like anything though the more you have the more your chances of winning.

• Options

Had some for 20 years won twice in two months about 3 years ago first month 100 and the second 50 nothing before that or after that though.

• Options
    If you haven't won for a while then take the money out and then re enter it. It worked for me. Got £50 last year and my brother did the same and won money.
  • Options
    If you haven't won for a while then take the money out and then re enter it. It worked for me. Got £50 last year and my brother did the same and won money.

These comments seem to suggest what I said. It's almost as if half the people's tickets aren't actually in the draw in the first place. The other half winning regularily.
  • Options
    my nan won £10k in 1984

she bought me a raleigh extra burner

we bought £1000 worth last year and have won diddly squat
  • Options

I know an ST holder who won £1m about four years ago.

They're not a ST holder now though (-:

• Options
    Are the Football Pools still going these days?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I' ve brought £5k worth over the last six months, as of yet, nothing. It takes about 6 weeks to be entered into the draw.
  • Options
    Mate of mine has just bought £25K and has won straight away £50. He reckons he has been told that at that level he should get a win 10 months out of 12. Still think its a long shot to get more on average then sticking it in a limited access deposit account.
  • Options
    I bought 3grands worth in june. Won 25 quid once so far.
  • Options

For those of us with 'average luck', the tool below is a general guide to what you 'should' win as per your investment and the period you hold them.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/

• Options
    Won £25 the first month , i invested in them because the ISA rate was pony a few years back , so i thought i might have a better chance with them than the annual ISA interest , won twice now in the past couple of years, as soon as the interest rises then it will all go back in
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I got £18k invested win nearly every month at least £25, best month £150 (mixture of £25's and £50 wins). Last year won £550.00 certainly for me better than locking it away in a long term account as can access it quiet quickly. In my opinion need to invest large sums at a time, ie minimum £5k. Mind you the calculator that stackitsteve suggest using says that I should have won only £200, must be lucky.
  • Options

As CharltonKerry has said I would say its a case of the more you have invested the better the chance of a return.

My mother in law has 20k in premium bonds and she gets at least £25.00 most months of the year, she also gets a few £50 & £100 which gives her a return in the region of £500 plus per annum.

On the other side of the coin my son & daughter both have £250.00 worth of premium bonds and have never had a win in 10 years.

• Options
    Had some for 5 years and never won a penny.  Put it all on CAFC to beat Fulham and use the money to buy them something tangible
  • Options
    Have £11k's worth and can't remember the last time we won
  • Options
    My dad has had em for years and despite various financial managers telling him he doesn't need em he still has em and wins every now and then, gloats like hell when he does. My dad's quite a wise guy when it comes to money as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I won £50 - my only win in around 20 years. They were a present...
  • Options
    I would not even consider having thousands in premium bonds. It's ok for hundreds where you don't mind losing out on a bit of interest.
  • Options
    my £5 has won be bugger all in 28 years
  • Options
    I would not even consider having thousands in premium bonds. It's ok for hundreds where you don't mind losing out on a bit of interest.
    Interest........ah I remember that.
  • Options

I had nothing for 4 years and then 3 x £25 in a week just before Christmas.

I set up a standing order and buy £100 a month which I don't notice missing out of my account and now have nearly £5k invested.

• Options

Smart move Stoney. With interst rates so low, that £1200 a year means that even with one £25 win you're beter off than investing with most Building Society Accounts - anything else is a bonus.

I sell my blocks each year and buy a new block of numbers, to keep it nice and tidy. It also gives ERNIE a bigger target to hit :-)

• Options
    Have had Premium Bonds in my name since birth. Have never won a penny in 23 years
  • Options
    I just found out that my luck has continued this month with another £25 going into the bank.
  • Options
    £175 over the last 6 months for me...