Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurodisney

Considering taking my 8 year old son to Eurodisney for a 3 night break. (There is an offer on at the moment)
On a tight budget, so looking to get value for money.
Unsure as to what accommodation to go for (2 or 3 star) and whether to go half board or breakfast only. 
All a bit daunting, so any views/tips/suggestions from Eurodisney veterans on accommodation and how to make the most of our time there would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Don't eat there. Last tme I went there was a big mouse running around!
  • Options
    edited January 2012

We drove there (early ferry) and were unpacked and in the park by about 2pm, this meant we turned a 3 night trip into a 2 night trip which may save you some money. We left at about 4pm on the 3rd day and found that was plenty of time.

We had B&B in one of the Disney hotels as the deal we found was free park tickets if you stayed in one of their hotels. Nothing special but good enough as we only used the room to get our heads down. This meant we also got 2 hours in the park before the hoi polloi were let in which was invaluable (little or no queues).

Plenty to eat around the park (restaurant 'village' type area) ranging from good old Golden Arches to Rainforest Cafe type places. The meal and show to meet the characters is outrageously expensive but we went to lunch at one of the diners where the characters were all around.

My boy (5 on our first visit, 6 the next time) loved it.

• Options
    Have been there a number of times over the years. Booking direct with Disney on their website is as cheap as any I have found. I have stayed in the Disney Hotel, Sequoia Lodge and Hotel Cheyanne. So top middle and bottom of ranges. Disney Hotel without doubt the best but in all honesty the middle ranges are superb. Only ten minutes walk from parks. Breakfast is continental but pretty good. Meals in hotels are expensive and I preferred to eat in Disney Village with a greater choice and themed so great for kids. If you can book a meal at Cafe Mickey. You can book in advance by phone from here and is easy to do but essential as very popular. Meals around €20 for main course but the meal is accompanied by Disney characters interacting with guests which the children seem to love. Might I also suggest Rainforest Cafe as a good place to eat with a jungle theme and animatronic elephants and apes. So. My advice would be Sequoia Lodge and eat in Disney Village. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Went about 6 years ago, drove there (like Swerve), we stay at the EuroDisney "log cabin" resort. Trailer park really its about 2 - 3 miles from the main park, you got free parking at both.
  • Options

Staying in the park to get the free park tickets and build in the meals for the cheapest (if not the tasiest) way to do it.

• Options
    edited January 2012

I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel last September. The whole thing was brilliant and my daughter loved it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Also if you buy 20 shares in EuroDisney you can join the shareholders club and get 20% off all your food, drink and merchandise while you're there. I saved fortunes this way. Also you can go into this place just for shareholders called Salon Mickey where you get free hot drinks and pastries before 12 every day.

I wanted to eat at one of the big buffets which are really expensive at Disneyland hotel but would have been a waste because my daughter doesn't eat loads so we we just got Mcdonalds on 2 out of our 4 days there. The Wild West show was really good but the food you get with it wasn't brilliant so if you're on a budget I wouldn't advise that.

I would try to go on school days if possible so the parks aren't as busy.

It's definitely worth the effort to go!

• Options
    We've been 3 times Have stayed in the sequoia lodge ( it's got a pool) and the cheyanne which is like staying in a western movie . the cheapest we managed  was driving down and at staying in the Sol Inn in bussey St Georges. which is 1 stop  5 mins  away on the metro train
  • Options

Lot's of people stock up with rolls from breakfast to take round the park during the day as well<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options
    Have been twice taken our 2 boys i think they were 5 & 8 at the time , they loved it , i guess a break is what you make it , but we were on the go from morning till 11-12 at night , it was knackering but good fun , Buzz Lightyear shooting thing was fun from what i remember as was the Peter Pan ride , i think they've added some new stuff recently , the stunt show was quite good as was meeting the characters for tea, Sequoia Lodge was basic , 4 in one room , but for the 3 nights there it was fine and had a swimming pool at the hotel, it was a short bus ride away from Eurodisney. 
  • Options
    Was there over New Year - thanks CL for Orient match thread; got the result in the Thunder Mountain queue :-(

Agree with others - if you just need a bed, cheap Disney hotel OK (stayed Santa Fe).  You get park tickets, buffet breakfast you can walk away from with a pocketful of rolls and 10/15 mins walk or 5 mins free bus from Parks.  As New Year we did early start, big lunch, back to hotel for a snooze then back to parks for the evening

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012

Stayed for 3 days (2 nights ) over Christmas. I would reccomend one of the 3 main Disney hotels - We stayed at Newport Bay and got a decent deal on this. This entitles you to enter the park 2 hours before it opens - not all but selected rides are open and it is great to be able to get on them with no queues, Great for younger kids as they are the sort of rides they love. Breakfast at the newport bay was help yourself to as much as you want continental - no sausages and bacon but cerials, rolls, bread etc... and nice selection of fruit, cold meats and cheeses. You can really stuff yourselves here and have a lighter lunch if you want to save money.

Don't go on weekends- it gets very busy to the point it can be more frustrating than enjoyable . As for food - It is expensive and not brilliant. There is a McDonalds there that gets very busy but is reasonably priced  compared to most alternatives. We also went for the Disney barbeque in frontierland which is a 3 course and a drink McDonalds type resteraunt -coyboy barn, but also one of the special character resteraunts where they come up to your table. 25 Euros each but food wasn't too bad and very filling - Salad or Chile con Carne starter, Nice Burger and desert and large drink - all given to you on a tray to take to your table at the same time. Been to Cafe Mickey (which has characters) before but didn't think the food was as good and was more expensive although you do get a table service.

I drove and got the train to cross the Channel. Quite an easy journey with a sat nav but tolls of @20 euro each way. The advantage of taking your car is a) at this time of the year it is cold so it makes an excellent fridge - drinks are really expensive there but we brought our own. Also brought crisps sausage rolls beers etc... and had a snacky evening meal in our room which saved a few quid. and b) You can stop off at the hypermarket on the way back. Quite a nice swimming pool in Newport Bay too, if you are not in the Admirals Suite- take your own towelsas you have to pay for them otherwise.

Oh, and any money you do save will be spent by your misses/kids in the shop. There are so many shops there and from what I could see, they basically sell the same items but arranged differently. Everytime I moaned was told I was the Grinch and had to shut up!

• Options
    I would definitely go at this time of year.
    I've twice taken 50 school kids there in January - virtually everything is open and you'll queue for 10-15 minutes as an absolute maximum, even for the best rides. This means you get round to everything in no time and you'll have a lot more spare time to do other things like visit Paris (if that takes your fancy) or just have more goes on all the rides!
    The only drawbacks are that in the winter, the events at the hotels don't run, so the Cheyenne, for example, doesn't do all the wild west shenanigans that I believe go on in the summer. Also, in the parks, it's likely that they may be building a new ride or repairing/maintaining an old one, so there may be one or two out of action. But there are plenty to choose from.

As others have said, food is ridiculously overpriced, but just stock up on the stuff you get gratis in the hotel in the morning, or bring stuff from home, then your restaurant spend will be manageable.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Went a few years ago when kids were 9 and 4. Both enjoyed it. 

Went Saturday and came back Monday. Took Eurostar from Ashford - worked really well. Arrived around lunch time. Spent afternoon/evening, the whole of the next day at main park. Did Disney Studios the final day - caught train around 5ish in the evening. Stayed in the Hotel New York. Decent family/child friendly. 

Booked a character breakfast - kids loved it although I thought it was a bit pricey.

Didn't book any meals other than breakfasts and ate out in the Parks.

Went in late October - half term. Wasn't too crowded. Weather wasn't brilliant but didn't spoil things.

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your views everybody.  
    We are booked!
  • Options
    Don't stay in the park.  Book a cheap hotel at Torcy or Bussy Saint Georges and take the train a couple of stops.
  • Options
    Don't stay in the park.  Book a cheap hotel at Torcy or Bussy Saint Georges and take the train a couple of stops.
    B&llocks, too late! 
  • Options
    Sorry.  Enjoy your trip anyway.
  • Options
    B&llocks, too late! 
    Have to say, unless you are really on a tight budget, staying in the Park is great. The kids will love it.
  • Options
    And you'll save time messing about travelling.
  • Options
    Sorry.  Enjoy your trip anyway.
    Cheers fella.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What did you book in the end ?
  • Options
    Thanks for bringing this thread up Mid , i was thinking of going back again , and reading all these posts has really wetted my appetite to go again , its interesting hearing other peoples take on things , hope you have a fantastic time , let us know how you get on when you come back!
  • Options
    What did you book in the end ?
    Very difficult to choose between the Disney hotels, but in the end went for Newport Bay Club with breakfast only.
    We'll sort the other meals out from the many helpful suggestions above. 
    Since my family would not tolerate being in a car with me for more than 2 hours, have gone with the Eurostar from Ebbsfleet.

Still a bit shaken by the price, but nonetheless can't wait to see my son's face when we tell him, though I think we'll leave that pleasure until nearer the time.

• Options
    Have not used Ebbsfleet before , let us know what you think of it?
  • Options
    My experience is very dated now, as  I took the  family twice in the 1998-2001 period.
    We took them twice as they loved it so much the first time and been previously been to Florida.
    Of course it is a fantasy world, and some of the things like food were very expensive.
    I think they have tried to reduce prices in relation to our first visit, but still not cheap.
    I managed to 'wangle a press pass' for free entry for us, and part of the deal was I had to go by car.
    My wife does not particularly like rides, but our kids were so  excited, especially with the character breakfast, we had a really good break.
    It really was a magic kingdom for them. 
    Frankly I thought the place would be full of kids, but was amazed at the amount of adults there.
    I would love to go back with our grandchildren. 
    Would go by train now from Ebbsfleet.

• Options
    Hope you and your family enjoy your trip to Disneyland Paris. I know we always have. Newport Bay looks a very nice hotel sitting at the head of the large lake. I know I mentioned it in the thread but if you are able try to book an evening meal at Cafe Mickey. You can't get near the place if you don't book in advance without a long wait so if you visit Disneyland Paris website I'm sure there is a link to the restaurants and a phone number to make reservations which costs nothing, it ain't cheap but barring McDonalds none of the restaurants are and the kids love the characters who walk around the diners and the photo opportunities are enchanting so take a camera / video. Rainforest Cafe is also good and little cheaper than Cafe Mickey but I don't think you need or even can make a reservation. Have a great time and let us big kids know how you get on. COYR
  • Options

Have not used Ebbsfleet before , let us know what you think of it?

I went from there in September. Unbelievably easy. 20 min drive to get there. Park right outside (cost £30 for 4 days). Not much to do at the station but can pick up a sandwich, book, magazine. On the way back it took 3 hours to get from Eurodisney station to my house.

• Options
    Went in December, stayed in Seqouia lodge which is quite nice. All the food was pretty average really, not impressed. Was there from Thursday - Sat, Sat was very busy and long queues on everything. However we had already done all the rides in the first two days when alll rides had no queues which was great.