Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darlington

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes it is, but it is also them that benefit when they get to watch football that their club can't afford. Portsmouth went to two FA Cup Finals with players that, ultimately, the Tax Payer were funding.

However, it doesn't really matter who suffers because at some point all companies (including football clubs) must stop spending money that they just can't afford to pay back.
  • Options
    The BBC report doesnt tell the full story. The current playing staff could be offered a match fee for playing in their next game against Fleetwood. BBC Look North up here have reported that there have been talks with a potential investor and the mood is positive. They are meeting again on Wednesday. Fimgers crossed for them.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    shame for darlington, met a few last year when they came to Ebbsfleet. good lot.
    remember northwich victoria? bad day for us, great for them. but now seems like they are strugling. they have just lost all their mangement team. another famous old club tilting on the edge.
  • Options
    It's always the fans I feel sorry for. Most fans don't really have a clue as to how a club is being run. They just trust that the management are getting it right. Unfortunately, in the real world, this just isn't the case and it's often only when it's more or less too late that they realize the serious nature of things. That, often, is when the real people step in (driven by the real fans). Hopefully, for the fans sake, they can find the answer to this and carry on as a football club.
  • Options

Darlington will fulfil the next three league fixtures after administrators agreed a deal with the DFC Rescue Club to keep the club alive.

The group met demands to put £50,000 in place before 1500 GMT to secure the Blue Square Bet Premier club until the end of January.

Two home games, Fleetwood on Saturday, and York seven days later sandwich next Tuesday's trip to Hayes & Yeading.

Administrators had decided to close the club before the last-gasp offer.

Supporters were led to believe the situation was bleak for the Quakers, following Raj Singh's decision to place the club in a third period of administration within the decade at the beginning of the month.

Long-term futures had been achieved on previous occasions in 2003 and 2009, but this last-gasp escape from liquidation was the closest the club had come to folding in their 128-year history.

"The scenario is we have enough money we believe to take us to the end of January, to give interested parties that little it more time to come forward with offers," administrator Harvey Madden told BBC Tees.

"It's a temporary solution, and I'm looking for the longer term, not just a short-term fix.

"You have the ups and downs in this game, and it was the worst time in my life to tell the players they were finished.

"To actually then go back to them was strange, and you doubt your own credibility, but any chance of all to save the club, I'll be there.

"I am sat here more firmly in the seat as administrator [rather than liquidator]. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be in a position where a willing buyer comes forward and we can move forward."

Interim boss Craig Liddle said: "It's been a rollercoaster but we've got the outcome everybody wanted.

"I've got to piece a team together now for Saturday, and if we can come through this next few weeks then the main objective for me would be to keep the club in the league."

The news has been met with amazement by players, who were told hours earlier they would be seeking new employment.

"#darlo next 3 games on! You couldn't write it, I didn't see this coming, need all your support on saturday for the lads!" said James Gray on his Twitter account.

Volunteers would be required to rally round to help games take place - with all on-field and off-field staff made redundant by administrators last week.

"Ian Peacock is providing the coach for the Hayes and Yeading game, while tomorrow's task will be the nitty-gritty, getting Saturday's game ahead," said DFC Rescue Group chairman Doug Embleton.

Liddle revealed he has nine senior professionals and a squad of youth team players available for the fixture, and he could potentially play himself almost six years after his final appearance.

"It'll be a last resort for me, I'm 40 now. I don't want to harm any of the young boys, but I'm registered to play," Liddle continued.

"Hopefully it won't come to that - and I'm relieved for me and the supporters.

"We're alive and kicking, the boys are back in training tomorrow. Hopefully we can go out and put a performance in for the supporters.

"I don't think we'll come as close to losing the football club again."

Meanwhile the Football Association confirmed the nine remaining players would be able to represent the club.

However defender Aaron Brown confirmed to BBC Tees he would be leaving the club regardless of an offer, with his family based in Bristol.

• Options
    just been relegated 4 divisions to northern division 1 because they couldnt find someone to fund them, such a shame for a club that were in the football league! gutted for their fans, its a long way back now!
  • Options
    same stadium?
  • Options
    No, I believe they are looking at ground sharing elsewhere with the idea that they would move back if they managed to re-establish themselves.

However, going back there would probably put them back in the same problem!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Darlington have been relegated four divisions to the Northern League Division One on the recommendation of the Football Association.

The Quakers had hoped to enter into the Evo-stik Premier having been told by the Football Conference they would not be admitted entry to the north section.

After going into administration this season, the club was advised it must agree to repay debts to creditors.

However no Creditors Voluntary Agreement was reached for those debts.

Subsequently the DFC 1883 Limited group purchased the club's assets from Darlington FC 2009 Limited.

DFC 1883 Limited statement

That decision ensured the club, which was already relegated from the Blue Square Bet Premier this season, could continue to survive, while avoiding repayment of the debts, which remain with the existing holding company and not with the new group.

Among the teams they will face next term are FA Vase winners Dunston UTS and Shildon, who they ground-share with.

"We had appraised all potential outcomes and have produced plans and a financial model that will work at this level," a statement from DFC 1883 Limited said.

"The focus now will be to get the football club back up through the leagues as quickly as possible.

"We can be inspired by clubs like Chester, Wrexham and others who have taken this journey and enjoyed great football, grounds with atmosphere and a rekindling of supporters' enthusiasm."

Now the club's immediate fate has been decided, moves can begin to replace former manager Craig Liddle, who agreed to join Sunderland as development coach.

"We expect to be able to name the new manager shortly," the statement continued.

"An excellent short list is in place, and now that we know which league we are in we can draw those discussions to a conclusion."