Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Independance

edited January 2012 in Not Sports Related
Should they?
Shouldn't they?
Do we care?
Good riddance?

Comments

• Options
    Regardless of any of that I feel it should be their choice and Westminster should butt out.
  • Options
    They should decide their own destiny. If voting took place today then surveys suggest they would remain in the union. Two years down the line? Who knows.
    As long as we hold the union until north sea oil runs out I don't mind.
  • Options
    The grass is always greener somewhere else. If the majority of Scots want to end their place in the union so be it. They will probably find they will be no better off when they are controlled from Brussels.
  • Options
    A view of Scotland by Jonny foreigner.Up here the snp are scared of a vote that if it goes against them they are finished.Those half wits Salmond and Sturgeon are on plenty so they don't want a vote yet, like turkeys voting for xmas.The only reason they have any majority up here is the locals got narked with Labour and they would never vote Tory in any numbers so the snp cleaned up.Labour will be back next time.
    On a personal note I cant see it working,if you take out the scottish parliament,the public sector and supermarkets I reckon youll be lucky to find a couple of hundred thousand people working.Even the eastern europeans havent come in anywhere near the numbers elsewhere in the country.The benefit bill for a month would bankcrupt the country and when the benefits are taken out the system half the shops will shut.Now they are talking about joining the Euro! The only thing they have that Britain needs is the sub bases.I dont think Scotland will vote for independence in 2014 as the arguments for will have evaporated by then and S&S will have been found out.I hope so or I might deported or lined up against the wall!
  • Options
    I don't agree that it's a matter for the Scots alone. All four home countries have a responsibility to each other. If there is one of the four that.would be better off financially going it alone it is England. So why aren't the English being offered this choice? England needs it's own executive (parliament) in order to be on a par with the rest of the kingdom and to stop the sweaties from voting on English matters that don't concern them. Hacks me off when Salmond says mind your own business. Will he abstain from all votes on things like tuition fees south of the border? of course not.
  • Options
    It's those economic arguments that I really want to hear about. A lot of supposition and misinformation at the moment and not many cold hard facts. That will in my opinion determine the outcome. Not completely sure about he success of the SNP will evaporate on the back of a Labour revival. Labour under Ed are some years away from serious contenders and the prospect of Dave doing his Margaret Thatcher impression for years to come may have a say in where the Scots put their cross. Will be fascinating to watch as this unfolds.
  • Options
    FFFFFRRRRRRREEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself..watched it the other night
  • Options
    England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are stronger together.

And IMO It won't happen. And It's not like the majoritys of sweaties want to split...Most want to remain British.

And on a sidenote, If Great Britain did split, What would happen to the Union Jack?
  • Options
    Yep they should split, but only if it means 100 per cent split, no financial subsidiaries by the rest of the UK at all

If you want independence then have it, stand on your 2 feet with your own money, your own tax, your own welfare state , your own army

• Options
    Let them go and then we'd never have to suffer a Labour government again. Sadly it won't happen as the silent majority want to keep the Union.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they'd need to take on their fair share of the national debt, the toxic Royal Bank of Scotland needs to be sorted out, and they'll need to contribute to things like defence. Then there's the currency do we want them in a pound stirling zone?
  • Options
    Free scotland, personally you could not pay me to take them.
  • Options
    Yes please. Also a massive public works project to dig a mile wide moat along the line of Hadrians Wall...
  • Options
    Yep they should split, but only if it means 100 per cent split, no financial subsidiaries by the rest of the UK at all

If you want independence then have it, stand on your 2 feet with your own money, your own tax, your own welfare state , your own army

I agree with this. See how long free tuition fee's last then

• Options
    Let them go and then we'd never have to suffer a Labour government again.
    Good job nobody is suffering under Cameron/Clegg and the ConDems.

• Options
    Not sure why there is so much animosity regarding Scotland emerging on this thread.
  • Options
    The last poll for the first time put scottish independence as in favour, the Snp will make sure their able to vote for this option every so years,i think it will happen one day
  • Options

Suffering from the mess left by Labour! I think everyone realises that.
  • Options

Suffering from the mess left by Labour! I think everyone realises that.

Erm.........no.

• Options

If only it was that simple.

World economic issues haven't had any influence then, Chirpy?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would vote SNP if they stood in my Kent ward, Independant England for me.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Back to Tories vs Labour again already.

Back to the Scottish debate, I find it strange that we're all supposed to be "Europeans" yet many Scots don't even want to be in the UK, their nearest neighbours.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Back to Tories vs Labour again already.

Back to the Scottish debate, I find it strange that we're all supposed to be "Europeans" yet many Scots don't even want to be in the UK, their nearest neighbours.
    Is it more that they feel that a government in Wetminister doesn't truly represent them and this is exacerbated every time a Tory government is elected.

• Options
    Lived up in Scotland for a while and never expected the sheer hatred of the English to be so obvious. Let the smug git Salmond and his ilk have their independence. Just don't expect any more money from England.
    Should we rebuild Hadrian's wall??
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Don't see that Scotland has the resources to stand alone as a country. The nearest equivalent, the Republic of Ireland, has done so well until the crash through clever use of European subsidy and the IT boom, and now they are up poo creek, and frankly the last thing Europe needs now is another begging bowl. This would be social and economic suicide. How would Scotland support it's priveleged education system or it's Health Service with a population of 5 million?

My dad was Scots and he joined the RAF and came south in 1937 to get away from the complete lack of a future on offer to him then. I don't see much on offer to the youth of Scotland today if they establish independence.
  • Options
    I don't see much on offer to the youth of Scotland today if they establish independence.
    An indepenant Scotland would no doubt join the EU, so many of their ambitious youngsters would come to England for work.

No change there, then.
  • Options
    Doubt EU would want them tbh.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    While we're at it what about Cornish independence. You gotta laugh. Reopen the tin mines!
  • Options
    Let the smug git Salmond and his ilk have their independence. Just don't expect any more money from England.
    This, plus if it was independent, at least then we could stop changing the clocks in winter. Pisses me off how it gets dark in London at 4pm all because some scottish farmer in the highlands wants it light in the morning. It's a consequence of living up north!

Seriously though, I think Scottish independence would be a disastrous move for them, made on the back of some very short-term, optimistic viewpoints. But if those turkeys want to vote for Christmas, let them.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Like all blatant nationalist claptrap, it's the pigs spouting it at the top of the pile who profit while the deluded fools who vote for them get shafted.