Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One for military history buffs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    i think the Norfolk regiment was wiped out in this campagn.
    The Turkish 57th Regiment was also wiped out - they were given the order by Mustafa Kemal: "I do not expect you to attack, I order you to die". Just after the landings they were just baout the only large and organised regiment and Kemal sent them into battle to hold the invasion force up until re-inforcements arrived. They were successful, but were wiped out - and to this day there is no 57th regiment in the Turkish army.
  • Options
    Clive does Aylesbury Lee post on here ?
    Don't think he does. I've got his email address if you need to contact him
  • Options
    "......he was living in Sydenham........"

Whereabouts ?
  • Options
    Hi Steve, not sure, I last saw him at Stevenage after the game, I see his dad a fair bit as he walks past the Rose and always see hello, I will catch him Tuesday night and see what hes up to, last heard he was living in Sydenham and his brother Dean near Brighton, see you at Chesterfield?
    On holiday mate

• Options
    It was more than a few years ago now with Kuljit, in fact that was 99/00 as we all went for a celebration curry in Sydenham just around the corner from his after beating the stripey nigels at Selhurst and go about 16 points clear, there was about 10 or so of us in there singing and eating a memorable evening....
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Good skills smudge, I would like to see the pics one day, Vern Littley WOII in the Gunners does a talk on the memorial then and now which is fascinating, my cousin John Phillips was a colour sgt in the Royal Anglians around that time, hes still serving but not with the battalion, you might have come across him?
  • Options
    1923 is the end of the Russian Civil War, though the last British troops withdrew in 1920.
  • Options
    Don't know if this is the right place or if this has been pointed out before but for anyone on twitter who enjoys Military History I encourage you to follow:
    https://twitter.com/#!/realtimewwii
    It's an Oxford graduate giving real time tweets from the Second World War covering all areas of the conflict. Been doing it for a year now and France will fall over the course of the next month. Usually posts 10-20 a day.
  • Options
    Thanks Red I will get following him, also Smudge only just seen the pictures, brilliant thanks for posting them
  • Options
    I'm in the market for a new general history of WW2 (Roberts' one didn't really do it for me) - should I go for Hastings of Beevor?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints, was it "Masters and Commanders" by Andrew Roberts you read? I have recently come back from a week away with Max Hastings showing him some Great War stuff, I did think his "All Hell Let Loose" was fairly comprehensive, Anthony Beevors "The Second World War" is due out early June and is on pre order for Amazon. I have just finished a weighty tome in "Engage the Enemy More Closely" by Correlli Barnett its a Naval History but I really learnt a lot from it
  • Options
    I met Andrew Roberts and he signed my copy of Masters and Commanders. Also gave me a signed copy of his book on Waterloo. Was a really nice bloke.
  • Options
    It Was "Storm of War" - a good, readable book but too Eurocentric to be a proper overview

I'll probably read both Beevor and Hastings eventually. Not read any Barnett, although I've always meant to get around to his Pride and Fall sequence. There's just to much good stuff to read unfortunately - the latest volume of Caro's magesterial biog of Lyndon Johnson is oou soon too.

Have you ever read NAM Rodger's history of the British navy? "Command of the Ocean" is perhaps my favourite ever history book (and that's as someone who finds naval jargon impenetrable!).