Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Royal Yatch

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm a fan of The Royals. They give us a sense of identity and individuality.

I can't say I've ever been a great fan of weddings, but what a wonderful event the royal wedding was. Millions worldwide tuning in, with nearly half the population watching here. Now we've got a Jubilee to look forward to, another chance to advertise our unique nation to the world.

The Queen, does wonders for oversees relations, and is a great representative of our nation. As are William and Catherine. I don't think a president would be quite as endearing.

If they find private investors, great. If they don't then just drop the idea, its incredibly insensitive of Gove to expect taxpayers to cough up in such times of hardship. Although it all seems a tad late to start organising this now? What with the Jubilee being later this year?
  • Options
    I don't mind tax money being used to finance the new yacht, perhaps they could divert some of the money we waste on dole scroungers, false disability claims, advice organisations for various groups of immigrants in hundreds of different languages, plastic surgery for vanity reasons on the NHS etc etc etc
  • Options
    I'm on the whole in favour of the yacht but can certainly see the other side too. This on the other hand is madness: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/17/michael-gove-king-james-bible
  • Options
    Yes - and think what could happen if someone this daft was put in charge of the country's education system . . .
  • Options
    And people still don't think that politicians are out of touch.
  • Options
    Anyone else been on the previous one in Edinburgh? It's quite an experience.
  • Options
    redcarter 11:00AM
    I'm on the whole in favour of the yacht but can certainly see the other side too. This on the other hand is madness: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/17/michael-gove-king-james-bible

This bloke has no idea, what a complete waste of money (imagine if an MP of a different faith decided to spend £400,000 of public money - ("Education department officials insisted the bibles would be distributed before Easter even if no sponsor had been found") - on their religious book.
  • Options
    The Queen, although the left detest the fact, is part of our Constitution. If we are not going to pay her costs as taxpayers then logically we should not pay for ministers or civil servants either at home or in Brussels.

She get's well funded from the Civil List, has a choice of council houses palaces to live in, funded by us and we had to cough up last year for her grandson's wedding...